Ran my very first autocross today

This is a discussion on Ran my very first autocross today within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; And I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! I can't wait to do more runs and buy better tires. I ran a practice ...

Ran my very first autocross today

And I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! I can't wait to do more runs and buy better tires. I ran a practice event at Fedex Field in Landover Maryland (Redskins Stadium) and I improved my time every run. Went from 104 sec on my first run to 89 my 2nd run down to 87 on my 3rd and last run. Car is 08 wrx, stage 2, stock wheels with Goodyear eagle gt's, no suspension upgrades.

If anyone has suggestions im open for discussion, thinking about turning the boost down next time out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    With autocross pretty much everything is in the tires, alignment, suspension, and most important; the driver.

If you can afford it the EVO driving schools are fantastic and to improve you just got to get yourself out as much as you can and read, watch videos, practice. I know it's said everywhere, but becoming a better driver will cut the most time.

I'm assuming you ran in STX or SM class?

I think he would be in a SP class because of the modified boost table.

I ran SM class, I plan to get as much seat time as I can. I'm not aiming to be top dog just have some fun and improve as I go, meet some new people. I would love to take a class when I get some money together.

SM seems like it'd be pretty tough given your lack of suspension mods and tires. That stage 2 tune is putting you in with the faster cars. If you modified your tune to not adjust boost levels from stock, i.e. run stock boost pressure, then you could run in STX. That'd be a step down in class and might make your car more fairly matched, but I don't know what kind of cars are in your region lol...so, can't really say.

What specifically are your goals? Just chilling out, goin' easy? ...that won't last long

Can I just take the tune off? I feel like I overpowered through most of the course even though my time improved. I was off the throttle and mid throttle but when I was working the course a lot of people were heavy on the throttle. Maybe it's just me lol. Most of the cars were brz and frs. Miatas, S2000, civics, a few stangs a viper, of course they weren't in my class.

My main goals are to have fun, improve my skills and times, and as I get more seat time get more competitive. It doesn't make sense to have a fun car and not have fun with it right?

Edit: when I say overpowered, I mean I feel like I overpowered my skill and my suspension, as if I slid and under steered most of the course.

you can't just take the tune off, not to mention the actual physical exhaust mod will still retain you in certain classes. If you have an AP, cobb has an STX specific map.

Most of the driving is knowing when and how to load up the suspension; working the throttle and brake. The Impreza will tend to oversteer at the limit, that's just the way it is. Learning to load up properly you can really cut the "push" in the corners. I wish i could better explain, but there are tons of threads explaining this kind of thing in detail, so i'll mostly leave it up to them.

A bigger front swaybar and tires would be some good first suspension mods when you get more competitive.

Thank you, I'll definitely do some research, and ask cobb about their tune. I appreciate the kind words of advice.

Personally I wouldn't worry about what class your running for now.

Go get a custom alignment, better tires if you can and have some fun. Then think about if you want to be competitive or just have fun.

STX is very competitive and can cost a lot since most max out the mods. So do some research and pick a class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk