First Time Ever at the Drags

This is a discussion on First Time Ever at the Drags within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Went to the drags for the first time ever today for a test and tune, as expected i ran pretty ...

Went to the drags for the first time ever today for a test and tune, as expected i ran pretty badly, first 2 runs went 14.7 3rd run went 14.5 and my last run i finally got it down to 14.2, still not close to what i would have liked but had a lot of fun. Posted below was the slip from my last run, yes the reaction time/ 60 was bad :/ caught sleeping on the line on that one but i hope to get back out again soon. Still working on the launch since im new at this which is what hurt me the most. Mostly stock just a Cobb SF Intake + Cobb Stage 1 OTS Tune. Did get my 100MPH club sticker tho

Edit: This was at Beaver Springs Dragway in PA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140323_004.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	140937

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hear that is up hill anyways and that people run slower there.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Just be careful not to damage your transmission working on your launches. Let your clutch feel the pain to save your transmission.

Yeah i was definitely making sure to work the clutch and not drop it on the transmission, easier to replace a clutch

2.2 sec 60' time in a WRX means you're bogging your launch. With practice you should be able to get your 60' times down in the 1.8x sec range in a lightly modded WRX.
    With 100 mph trap speeds, you could easily run low 13s with a faster 60' time.

WRXs needs a lot of rpm leaving the line. Without it, the engine just bogs (turbo lag kicks in while boost trys to build)and you run slow 60' times.

I've got a stack of at least 300 time slips from my 02 WRX and 04 STi.

Getting a little bit of wheel spin on the launch is the key, and you won't get wheel spin on the launch without a lot of rpm leaving the line. Getting a little wheel spin is also a lot easier on the tranny than bogging (dead hook and then rpms fall off) the launch. I never had any transmission or clutch issues with either of my cars, and I launched them at around 5000 rpms leaving the line.
    Stock WRX - 1.8 sec 60' times
    Lightly modded WRX 1.7 sec 60' times (occasionally got down in the 1.6x range - stage 2).

I used to practice my launches out by the old air strip where they hold autocross events in town. Eventually I had my launches down perfect.

Practice makes perfect, but the most important thing is that you're having fun.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX View Post
    2.2 sec 60' time in a WRX means you're bogging your launch. With practice you should be able to get your 60' times down in the 1.8x sec range in a lightly modded WRX.
    With 100 mph trap speeds, you could easily run low 13s with a faster 60' time.

WRXs needs a lot of rpm leaving the line. Without it, the engine just bogs (turbo lag kicks in while boost trys to build)and you run slow 60' times.

I've got a stack of at least 300 time slips from my 02 WRX and 04 STi.

Getting a little bit of wheel spin on the launch is the key, and you won't get wheel spin on the launch without a lot of rpm leaving the line. Getting a little wheel spin is also a lot easier on the tranny than bogging (dead hook and then rpms fall off) the launch. I never had any transmission or clutch issues with either of my cars, and I launched them at around 5000 rpms leaving the line.
    Stock WRX - 1.8 sec 60' times
    Lightly modded WRX 1.7 sec 60' times (occasionally got down in the 1.6x range - stage 2).

I used to practice my launches out by the old air strip where they hold autocross events in town. Eventually I had my launches down perfect.

Practice makes perfect, but the most important thing is that you're having fun.
    Yeah i was only revving it to about 4000 rpms, im going to be going back again this Friday so ill try closer to 5000 and see what happens, thanks for the advice, i definitely felt like i was bogging down.
    2013 WRX Sedan WRB | Gentleman's Alliance

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mugentheman215 View Post
    im going to be going back again this Friday so ill try closer to 5000 and see what happens
    I know what will happen....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/