What's needed for a bigger turbo on my wrx - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What's needed for a bigger turbo on my wrx within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by WRX-maniac Haha, good catch. I meant to say torque. (fixed) And you are right about the clutch ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Haha, good catch. I meant to say torque. (fixed) And you are right about the clutch wanting to be the weak point. Clutches are much cheaper than gearsets! And OP, intakes pretty much require a tune. However, and lytlec correct me if im wrong here, but the older wrx's were able to run intakes without a tune. If i am correct on that then the intake should be fine. Although at this time with your car being stock is basically just a noise maker.
    I know the 02-03 didn't have much of an issue with running certain mods without tunes. I think an 05 with a CAI should have a tune. I would if it were mine. It seems like a significant change over the stock setup.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarr05WRX View Post
    My car right now is sitting in the Subie shop with a blown motor. Haha
    Did it have an aftermarket down pipe or anything else?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

It's the way I bought the car, along with the exhaust that's on it. I haven't done much to it and now it's all on hold

Sounds like you jumped into a car you didnt know to much about. You are saying there was an exhaust pre-existing on the car when you bought it, and you have no clue if there was any engine management such as an accessport to properly tune it. If it was tuned im sure the owner before would have told you and thats something you'd more than likely remember. So im guessing that this guy you bought it from had an intake and a turbo back exhaust without a tune, and after a while it started developing problems so he opted to sell it before it blew up and he was stuck with it. This is just my opinion though.

Op, just consider this a lesson learned. Firgure out exactly what mods are done to the car now, if it has a downpipe, intake, etc and go from there. Good luck with this build. Keep it simple until you are more knowledgable about these cars and what mods will do for you.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

It is not a turbo back exhaust, just an axle back Greddy exhaust, stock down pipe stock mid pipe stock up pipe. I bought it from a subaru dealer, it had been traded in for a new one. I didn't know much about it, as I said first import build i wanted a learning experience. If I wanted an easy build I would've just bought a civic

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    Sell it and buy a SRT4.

Now what about an SRT 4 is an all wheel drive? Why would I want one? Do you just come on here and try to bag on my ****?

What's needed for a bigger turbo on my wrx

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    Sell it and buy a SRT4.
    Gif...
    http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...67769/jags.gif

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Have they opened up the motor to find out what the problem is yet? My money is on the previous owner ignorantly modding, then returning it to stock before he traded it in. Then when you bought it, the motor finally let loose.

No they are supposed to open it up today and I'll find out. Pretty sure it has spun bearings

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    My money is on him driving the **** out of the car before he even knew what he had. Hence his post about the AWD launch. Better luck next time.

Because I'm supposed to know how to launch an awd car when I've never owned one in my life. Right? Says the guy who bitches cuz his center council won't close lol

Rule of thumb. Don't launch the wrx at all. They are not built for it. The sti is but the wrx....not so much. Once you learn the clutch engagement you can easily take off from a stop without launching hard.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

See if the shop can tell you what all is aftermarket on the car and once you get it back just make sure you break in the new engine properly and get it tuned if needed due to engine mods. If it has mods on it currently that need tuned I would try to get some sort of map put on it so you can safely break the new block in.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Maybe you should worry more about properly maintaining your car as is, before trying to slap a bigger turbo on it.

Some obvious things you need to learn:
    1. Don't drive the piss out of a car, until you know what you're driving and if you'll **** it up.
    2. If you mod a turbocharged car, you need a tune to match.
    3. If you keep "launching" your AWD car, you're probably going to want to have your shop put a transmission on order.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarr05WRX View Post
    Because I'm supposed to know how to launch an awd car when I've never owned one in my life. Right? Says the guy who bitches cuz his center council won't close lol
    You'd probably bitch too, if you had 30k to spend on a car and still had to deal with bull**** problems like interior issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.