Wreckingball Man - SCCA Chronicles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wreckingball Man - SCCA Chronicles within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That's right, it's been a year and a half since I joined up here on ClubWRX and told everyone in ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

Angry Wreckingball Man - SCCA Chronicles

That's right, it's been a year and a half since I joined up here on ClubWRX and told everyone in my build thread I was going to run in SCCA and other amatuer racing events. Well, now that my car is completely ironed out and I've put a ton of miles on it; here's the first event type I will play around in, RallyCross. Maybe try out some Autocross while I'm at it. Hell, I'm going to enter everything I can this year. So subscribe for College student, slim to none budget, dirty, loud, Racing action.

Thead Contents

Preparations for 2014
    • Mod List.............................................. .......................Page 1 Post #9

Spring
    • January 26: East TN January RallyX..................................Page 1 Post #5
    • February 16: East TN February RallyX...............................Cancelled
    • February 23: East TN Region AutoX..................................Page 1 Post #11
    • March 16: East TN March RallyX......................................Cancelled
    • April 13: East TN April RallyX...........................................P age 2 Post #25
    • May 18: East TN May RallyX............................................Cancelled
    • May 25: East TN Region AutoX........................................Cancelled

Summer
    • Not Attending

Fall
    • Not Attending

Last edited by wreckingball man; 05-23-2014 at 01:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im in it for win. glad to see you get to tracking! I cant wait for the scca season to open up on the west end of the state. im going to get creamed....but im going to love every minute of it!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Good luck with the rally cross. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future updates.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    im in it for win. glad to see you get to tracking! I cant wait for the scca season to open up on the west end of the state. im going to get creamed....but im going to love every minute of it!
    I'm doing this for fun. Who cares about being competitive in their first season. I'm focused on learning lol!

Quote Originally Posted by twiget View Post
    Good luck with the rally cross. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future updates.
    Thanks, I'll try to keep it interesting.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 01-27-2014 at 05:54 PM.

January 26: East TN January RallyX #1

After talking to some friends who already Rallycross, I decide I needed a few parts; stock parts. So, while searching for parts locally I made some more new friends who cut me some incredible deals by the way! More about that later. Unfortunately, due to a few circumstances I couldn't attend the first event or compete in it as I couldn't attain parts soon enough and I had some things come up that day. My other friend, who I met when I came to UT, was having car trouble that day too. So we both didn't compete. Man, the feeling of being on the sidelines.

So to keep this thread interesting, here are some pics of my new friends at the rally, who gave me some great deals on a few parts.

Driving his mom's Impreza!
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 05-23-2014 at 01:06 PM.

aww man! i feel the parts crunch(i just broke a caliper...) ya im in it for the fun and learning too. ment above your win haha. id love to make a rally cross race. love to race one too, just not with mine its breaking weird. good luck with the new goods and getting to the track! cant wait for updates n picz
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

And the guy that is selling me the stock wheels had a guy flake on him, now he won't sell them to me So I'm on the lookout for a stock set. 5x100 with good tires. I will take any year lol.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 01-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.

And I'm back in it. He decided to go ahead and sell them to me. Picking up the stock wheels tomorrow!
    Pictures and modifications update coming soon.

Also, Just became and SCCA Member.

2014 Mod List

Suspension
    • stock springs
    • stock WRX Wagon struts
    • stock top hats
    • rear sway bar removed for RallyX : Remains on for AutoX
    • '05 WRX wheels: 16x6.5 +55: 16.5 lbs
    • Titek lightweight Lug Nuts
    • 205/55R16 Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT High Performance All Seasons
    • Rally Armour Basic Mudflaps

Power
    • Cobb AP w/ stage 2 tune
    • HKS Downpipe
    • Borla Headers
    • Perrin Catless Up Pipe
    • JiC Magic 505 SS Catback w/ wuffler removed for that extra loud!

After much research and considering my budget I went with all stock suspension and tires. Budget was small and OE equipment performs well for a beginner in the dirt and is readily available for cheap. The tires came on the wheels I purchased from a friend, I'll probably upgrade to gravel/snow tires in the future. I chose the wagon struts for that little bit of extra camber in the front, due to them being slightly shorter in length compared to sedan struts. Removed the rear sway bar to loosen up the rear end in order to get it to rotate easier. From my testing it seems to do the trick. I'l probably run greater tire pressure in the back than in the front to help with sliding/rotating. My initial approach will be to essentially loosen up the rear and tighten up the front; hopefully making sliding a little easier to initiate as I feel out how to slide on the dirt. When I start to improve I plan on adding a little bit of toe-in to the rear.

In the next updates I'll share with you my notes for each event. We'll see how these initial settings work out.

Time for crappy cell phone pics

Engine Back to Stock

What Came Off

What Went On
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 02-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Probably a good idea to stick with stock parts. They will be cheap to replace when something breaks.

Bonus Event, February 23: East TN Region AutoX

So, after the February Rally Cross was cancelled I decided to get out and drive the car anyway I could. So I went to the Auto Cross. I think it's safe to say I'll be back next month. It was a blast. The car handled like poo with the mods I had done....like removing the rear sway bar. It runs good on dirt but not on the pavement. Nevertheless it was a great experience and I posted a pretty good 'best time,' measuring up to many out on the grid that day, even beating out a BRZ in my class. I was just glad to improve each run and didn't hit a single cone.

Preperations
    • -2.2 deg front camber
    • -1.2 deg rear camber
    • Zero Toe front and rear
    • 45psi all four tires

Results

Last edited by wreckingball man; 04-16-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Interesting that you are running with the rear bar out, what is the front sway setup? The reason I ask is that from what I had seen, many disconnect or remove the front sway leaving stock rear in. I went this route and have enjoyed the handling it provides. On dirt the car is very neutral through turns and over/under-steer is easily controlled with pedal inputs.

What are your impressions with the rear removed? Also have you tried driving in the dirt with no ABS? It is worlds better particularly on rougher or loose courses.

Most of the guys locally or on dirty impreza seemed to favor taking the rear bar out...obviously a budget mod, working with what you got. But yeah, the rear bar I removed only for the dirt, it works great out there...but on the pavement it drove like FWD and added greatly to the understeer. The rear end predictably had a lot of body roll on pavement leaving the wheels to 'follow' the fronts rather than rotate around. Even gassing it pretty hard early-to-mid corner wouldn't pull the rear end out.

If I had a bigger front sway and the rear sway installed then the back would 'step out' a little more on the pavement. I just did the autocross for the heck of it, wasn't worried about placing at all.

The whole approach I'm taking for the dirt, initially, is to loosen up the rear as much as I can and keep the front tight. Which is what most people have recommended for me being a beginner.

And, yes, I do remove the ABS fuse in the dirt I'll definitely have to give what you're saying a try and bring both sway bars to the next rally. Shouldn't be too big of a deal to change them out between runs.

Looks like so much fun in the dirt

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Bonus Event, February 23: East TN Region AutoX

So, after the February Rally Cross was cancelled I decided to get out and drive the car anyway I could. So I went to the Auto Cross. I think it's safe to say I'll be back next month. It was a blast. The car handled like poo with the mods I had done....like removing the rear sway bar. It runs good on dirt but not on the pavement. Nevertheless it was a great experience and I posted a pretty good 'best time,' measuring up to many out on the grid that day, even beating out a BRZ in my class. I was just glad to improve each run and didn't hit a single cone.

Class
    • Street Touring X

Preperations
    • -2.2 deg front camber
    • -1.2 deg rear camber
    • Zero Toe front and rear
    • 45psi all four tires

Results

If you're referring to the one at Pellissippi March 9th, then I might see you there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast