Michael Schumacher in critical condition after skiing accident - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Michael Schumacher in critical condition after skiing accident within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Hogdweeb European prehospital emergency care is FAR superior to America. Hell, for the most part their whole ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    European prehospital emergency care is FAR superior to America. Hell, for the most part their whole emergency care system is advanced. Open heart surgeries onboard of a moving helicopter? Doctors on board "life flight" helicopters? In America, we get a nurse and paramedic. We get open heart surgeries in an OR. Look up Europes health care abilities. A lot to be learned about how far behind we are in patient care.

Lets not argue. I did open the door, but looking for an argument wasnt the point of my post.
    I'd be willing to bet they have NEVER done open heart surgery on an airborne helicopter. I don't know if you have even ridden in a helicopter but it's not exactly ideal for open heart surgeries. Flying a doctor to perform surgery on scene is probably what you're thinking of. Their healthcare system is a lot different than ours, not necessarily better.

To stay on topic, I hope he gets mo betta.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I'd be willing to bet they have NEVER done open heart surgery on an airborne helicopter. I don't know if you have even ridden in a helicopter but it's not exactly ideal for open heart surgeries. Flying a doctor to perform surgery on scene is probably what you're thinking of. Their healthcare system is a lot different than ours, not necessarily better.

To stay on topic, I hope he gets mo betta.
    I'm sick as a dog right now... I cant find anything saying yes to one while in flight, I may be wrong with that, however, they are doing them in field and transporting immediately following.
    London's Air Ambulance - Open Chest Surgery
    London's Air Ambulance - About us

Tell me again, how with doctors onboard the helicopter (not just when needed, but every time they fly), they aren't necessarily advanced? Again, in America, we have a nurse and paramedic. Doctor oversees what a nurse and paramedic can do, while still having a broader scope of practice.

I'm not looking for an argument, Initially I made my post to show how lucky Micheal is. I am curious on his condition, too.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    I'm sick as a dog right now... I cant find anything saying yes to one while in flight, I may be wrong with that, however, they are doing them in field and transporting immediately following.
    London's Air Ambulance - Open Chest Surgery
    London's Air Ambulance - About us

Tell me again, how with doctors onboard the helicopter (not just when needed, but every time they fly), they aren't necessarily advanced? Again, in America, we have a nurse and paramedic. Doctor oversees what a nurse and paramedic can do, while still having a broader scope of practice.

I'm not looking for an argument, Initially I made my post to show how lucky Micheal is. I am curious on his condition, too.
    And I doubt you'll find any article stating that there have been any. Helicopters are too choppy and turbulent to even try a complex procedure while in flight. The purpose of medical transport is keep a patient living and stable until you can get them to a doctor. They don't fly doctors around in the US because it wouldn't be cost effective when you can pay a nurse and paramedic to deal with trauma until they can get a patient to a hospital. Let's not forget that helicopters have a weight limit, adding a body may mean that patient doesn't get to fly, and then what's the point in the trip? Without pulling the statistics on mortality rates from serious traumas that required life flight, you can't really say that. You also can't make the comparison because the entire reason people get life flighted in the states is because ground transport wont get them to a trauma center fast enough. So without knowing the medical transport laws for Europe and the US, the amount of trauma centers per population density and roughly how much more it would cost to put surgeons on flight status, the only thing you can say is that the system is different. Remember, when it boils down to it, healthcare is a business.

Also, I'm not arguing, I'm just pointing out the facts.

Get well Michael!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12