Ferrari returning to LMP1?

This is a discussion on Ferrari returning to LMP1? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is huge news. Hopefully its true. Ferrari return to Le Mans looking more likely? - Autoblog Statements made by ...

I Support ClubWRX

Ferrari returning to LMP1?

This is huge news. Hopefully its true. Ferrari return to Le Mans looking more likely? - Autoblog

Statements made by Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo may indicate that the Italian brand could return to a form of racing it's been absent from for 40 years - prototype racing. That's right, LMP1 could see a factory Ferrari team for the first time since 1973, if a report from ESPN F1 is to be believed.

"We have won with the 458 GTE, but I also quite like the idea of racing at Le Mans in the highest category: who knows, maybe one day we can return and win, say thanks and come home," Montezemolo said. "Maybe we should give it some consideration..."

These seemingly idle, off-hand comments might not hold much water, were rumors about Ferrari's return to prototype racing not swirling as recently as August. There's also the fact that the upcoming, 1.6-liter, turbocharged V6 being used for Formula One complies with the Automobile Club de l'Ouest's own LMP1 regulations, according to ESPN. Finally, Ferrari returning to Le Mans might also explain this video of a camouflaged Ferrari LaFerrari testing a new turbocharged engine, which we showed you a few weeks back. There's a fair chance that what we're actually seeing in that video are the early stages of a new Ferrari prototype testing.

Now, we'll admit, there's no shortage of conjecture here, especially regarding the LaFerrari video. But taken as a whole, and with the knowledge that Ferrari rival Porsche will be fielding its own LMP1 team next year, the conditions certainly seem ripe for the prancing horse to return to Le Mans.

Ferrari considering Le Mans return | Ferrari | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That would be fantastic!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Porsche as a rival.... I do hope they mean in customer base, and nothing more...

back on subject, Seeing Ferrari in something other then F1 and the ALMS would be great. Anyone else find it mind blowing the power they get out of the (currently) V8's in F1, and next year the V6's?

Ferrari never said they would nor did they deny that they would return. I think they will knowing now that AUDI, PORSCHE, TOYOTA and perhaps FERRARI now.