F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results. - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lauda vs Hunt. & Senna on Velocity TV this Sunday. Check your local listings. Sent from my HTC One...

I Support ClubWRX
    Lauda vs Hunt. & Senna on Velocity TV this Sunday. Check your local listings.

Sent from my HTC One
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 04-26-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results.

RIP! Here's a pick of Jack Brabham dueling with Bruce McLaren. Photo from Johnny Herbert.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Lauda vs Hunt. & Senna on Velocity TV this Sunday. Check your local listings.

Sent from my HTC One
    Bazza and Hunt at the McLaren pits. These guys were men, not divas. Today.... ah, never mind today. Thanks for the memories guys!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

'Ghost' lap - Ayrton Senna at Suzuka 1989: 'Ghost' lap - Ayrton Senna at Suzuka 1989 - YouTube

Since we are looking back at memories, thought this video would be worth a look. Although I am young and was not priveledged enough to see Senna race, this video sure gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. What an amazing way to relive a legend.

I Support ClubWRX
    From Spa, the year the luck ran out:

I Support ClubWRX
    The GP2 race was truly entertaining and I'll bet history will show it was far more interesting than tomorrow's F1 GP!
    Sad state of affairs but for my money the GP2 boys are more fun to watch. F1 used to be like that -- but back then the Rosberg behind the wheel was called Keke. Times change. I hope I've not changed with them.

I Support ClubWRX
    So Hamilton believes he's hungrier than Rosberg because the latter was raised in MC and on yachts? Aren't they neighbours in MC?

I think that year on the same team as Alonso has had a bit of an influence...

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    It's up to son of keke now to make sure he finishes strong every race. Only Nico can prove he is hungrier than Lewis.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest Keke was a more interesting driver. Prost mentioned in Competition Driving that Keke was more of a rallyman, arriving sideways everywhere. Although Prost critiques the technique, stating he (Prost) could readily adapt it -- though it's slower -- but Keke Rosberg could not as easily adapt Prost's technique (mild understeer and calculated moves win races etc.).

This year's MC GP was forty laps of waiting as the US-TV commentators kept on carrying on about an epic battle between teammates... that never happened... The highlight was Hamilton's complaint about the safety car messing up his boxing strategy. Zzzzz...

Compare then to now -- Bazza and Hunt in MC being, well, themselves. Today nobody can hold a candle (image from DailyMail UK):

And the sport has changed, it's now sterile. People discuss differences over Twitter and through the press, they don't communicate like they used to. Take Nelson Piquet for example:

Now when somebody waves their arm at someone it's replayed on TV like it's somehow meaningful. We need to go back to basics.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-26-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    From Spa, the year the luck ran out:

I'd only been watching F1 for a year or two when Senna died. But, strangely, I can't remember or picture anything of F1 before the accident. I just remember watching him plough straight on and thinking, "Oh, this is bad." I can't believe it's 20 years ago already.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The GP2 race was truly entertaining and I'll bet history will show it was far more interesting than tomorrow's F1 GP!
    Sad state of affairs but for my money the GP2 boys are more fun to watch. F1 used to be like that -- but back then the Rosberg behind the wheel was called Keke. Times change. I hope I've not changed with them.
    You know, I've been feeling this way about F1 recently. I think it began last year when it appeared Vettel was set to dominate yet another season. I was watching the qualifying this past Saturday and realized I really didn't care what happened. And I can't put my finger on why I don't get as excited as I used to. I still look forward to a race weekend, but I think it's the anticipation that something, anything, interesting might happen. And then it doesn't. Well, in most of the races, anyway. I think part of the reason might be the reliability these days. Ten or fifteen years ago, mechanical failures were common. But recently, if someone's leading the race comfortably, you can put money on them staying there until the end of the race. It certainly takes away some of the drama and suspense. As do the new quieter engines. Probably more noticeable when you're actually at a race, but still kinda'.... dull.

But, yes, the lack of personalities is also a problem. I can't blame anyone for that; it's about such enormous sums of money these days that you can't have a driver ramming another car off the track as Senna would have done. Drivers have to be very careful with what they say for fear of upsetting sponsors and losing their jobs. A punch-up after an accident is simply not acceptable anymore. It's that all-round unpredictability that's missing from F1 these days, IMO.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hesketh was on TV last night during a documentary, laughing about not knowing, to quote him directly, &"!$*^**!!! About setting up a car in the rain, so they watched everyone else wrench away frantically and did nothing. A different era!

The first GP I remember was JP, Suzuka I think, in the wet. Lauda parked it, Hunt got enough points to win the title. I remember sporadic GPs (Rosberg the elder at MC, Jones making a cameo etc.) but I remember the first turbo era well. Always liked the small teams -- Zaksoeed with a turbo 4cyl and Brundle (was it?) vs. the giants. Good times. Traveling circus atmosphere.

Nostalgia can be useful only if we vote with our money I suppose. I've no desire to attend a GP some place that wasn't on the calendar 20 years ago. I'd rather go see Kyalami than Houston. I'd go see the Glen. I won't go to see divas in a sterilized environment. TV is OK for that.

I'm missing out, sure. I'm not realistic either. Bah!

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Houston? From what I've read the last race in Houston was a disaster.
    I have my turn 12 grandstand tickets for the USGP and am looking forward to it.

To those who complain the battle never came In MC did you watch Bahrain?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    LH posted this pic today,saying "We have been friends a long time & as friends we have our ups & downs. Today we spoke & we're cool, still friends".

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Didn't he state previously, ..."we're not friends.." though?

As for Bahrain, I'm ambivalent about watching newer venues at this point. I watched it, the racing was more interesting than MC, but I don't know if I'll watch that part of the championship next year. I'm thinking of pretending it's a shorter calendar, and the year could be ca. 1990 or so.

Bahrain was just so-so for me. However, I thoroughly enjoyed today's race. I thought it was exciting from start to finish. Glad both Perez and Massa were uninjured in that accident. A great shame for both of them considering how unusually well they were doing. I think that was Perez's fault though. Looked like Massa was making a last ditch attempt to out brake Perez but Perez wasn't expecting him to be coming so quickly and veered left at just the wrong moment.

Looking forward to the comeback of the old A1 Ring in a couple of weeks. Honestly, I'd kinda' forgotten about it, but I can't believe it's been 11 years since we last saw an F1 race there. I love seeing the old races come back. Maybe Magny-Cours and Imola will return eventually.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.