F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Can't wait for Sunday. NBC has some pre race shows lined up. Check your local listings. I'd love for Massa ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Can't wait for Sunday. NBC has some pre race shows lined up. Check your local listings.

I'd love for Massa to do well.

Sent from my HTC One
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Practice 1 is on folks.

Sent from my HTC One
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    That was one massive fail of a test session.

First impression. Sounds terrible. Cars seem fast. But without the noise,for some reason they don't look fast. It is going to be a long season of engine blow ups & break downs & frustrations. Reliability went out the window along with the old exhaust note.

And yeah,Lewis will probably be the Champion this year.

Sent from my HTC One
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    That was one massive fail of a test session.

First impression. Sounds terrible. Cars seem fast. But without the noise,for some reason they don't look fast. It is going to be a long season of engine blow ups & break downs & frustrations. Reliability went out the window along with the old exhaust note.

And yeah,Lewis will probably be the Champion this year.

Sent from my HTC One

I don't ordinarily watch practice, but I did watch P1 on this occasion, just because it's the first race weekend of the season. Yeah, that engine sound is just... underwhelming. The constant hissing and whining grated on me within seconds of hearing the in-car footage for the first time. A screaming engine is really important to the whole senses-onslaught that is F1. It's very difficult to gain a sense of speed without sound. It really worries me for the future. I see fully electric cars in the future with virtually no sound, and I cannot imagine how boring that will be to watch.

I like the unreliability though. I think it's exactly what the last 2 or 3 seasons have been lacking. The occasional breakdown brings a little uncertainty to the result. Of course, if the cars are constantly breaking down this season to the point where winning the championship is just a game of luck, then it'll be farcical. But, I'm pretty sure a handful of the teams will make good progress with the cars throughout the season.

The one redeeming thing I see in this season is the torque. Add to that the narrower rear wing and we're seeing black lines being left on the exit of corners. I think during a race, when two drivers are fighting for position, both trying to exit a corner as quickly as possible to gain an advantage, finding a balance between speed and oversteer will make things quite exciting again.

So... Martin Whitmarsh. What happened to him? I don't recall hearing about him leaving. But according to NBC's commentary, he's just gone. Not taken a different position. Just, gone. I feel somewhat sorry for Ron Dennis. He's getting on a bit now and I'm sure was hoping to relax his commitments a little. Is he going to be at every race again because he's discovered that if you want a job done properly, you have to do it yourself?

Loved the huge cheer from the crowd in qualy when Vettel didn't make it into Q3. That gave me a good chuckle.

I Support ClubWRX

F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results.

Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes et al. are entirely uninteresting.

The key improvement this season is the presence of Martini livery. I've always felt it's the prettiest colour scheme on the planet. I'd like to see a more pronounced red/blue stripe region on the nose, but any Martini livery beats none.

The rest, turbos and noises and failures and egos and rambling from the announcers, is all meaningless. Only Martini matters.

Now, NBCSN are morons, let's be clear. They were showing commercials while Botas lost the rear wheel -- a moment that defined the GP. I don't think it's only chance; I've seen them cut to commercials during crucial moments before.

I believe it is prophetic idiocy, a type of low-IQ clairvoyance not yet fully understood by science. I'll be honest: how anyone able to walk upright can manage to make such a mess of a GP broadcast is beyond me.

Tomorrow morning the same channel will broadcast Man Utd vs. Liverpool and I am preparing for a fiasco.

Edit: the match was much better broadcast than the GP, so much so in fact that I'm getting another nine coffees to watch the next one, same channel, Spurs v Gunners.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-16-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Red Bull used too much fuel, too fast, ignored FIAs warnings, blah, blah, blah. Result = Ricciardo disqualified. Magnussen 2nd, Button 3rd. A great start to the season for McLaren, terrible one for Red Bull... Woo hoo!

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Formula 1 - FIA: Red Bull ignored fuel requests - Yahoo Eurosport UK

I Support ClubWRX
    The home crowd must have been... delighted.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The home crowd must have been... delighted.
    Yeah. But, the team's fault. Ricciardo still drove very well. Soooo.... that was the first time an Australian had been on the podium at an Australian F1 race. But it doesn't count. So did it happen? If an Australian gets on the podium next year, will that be the first time? Even though it's physically happened before, if not on paper? Sometimes F1 is too convoluted for it's own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Yeah. But, the team's fault. Ricciardo still drove very well. Soooo.... that was the first time an Australian had been on the podium at an Australian F1 race. But it doesn't count. So did it happen? If an Australian gets on the podium next year, will that be the first time? Even though it's physically happened before, if not on paper? Sometimes F1 is too convoluted for it's own good.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. So apparently it still stands that no Australian has ever been on the podium for the Australian GP. I was actually really happy for Ricciardo having the experience of being up top with the best of them, but alas, it was short lived.

Really upset over Hamilton's DNF though. I rooted for him all last season even through all of Vettel's repetitive and boring wins.

Sent from my unreasonably large Note II

I cant express how happy I was that vettel retired

#teamFerrari

Anyone watch Malaysia? #teamMercedes

Sent from my unreasonably large Note II

Yeah it was ok. Upside is vettel did not finish P1. Downside is I hoped team Ferrari would have faired a bit better. I guess I hoped that Kimi's return to Ferrari would have sparked something amazing. We shall see next week...
    \_(ツ)_/

I Support ClubWRX
    I think this year's Ferrari team is more interesting, in that the current driver lineup is probably affecting Alonso's blood pressure. It'll be very exciting trying to guess which of their two drivers will leave first. Other than that, my interest is on Williams. The GP itself was OK, the qualifying was very interesting on its own merits.

Alonso for the 2014 WDC!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast