Subaru WRX Forum banner

F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results.

48K views 157 replies 11 participants last post by  abigailcarson73 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 is a venture into a new era for F1.

Many rule changes foremost of which will be entirely new engine specs. F1 will forego the 2.4L V8(which have been in use 2006-2013) for the smaller 1.6L turbocharged V6.

This is not F1's first foray into turbocharged engines. They were last used 26 years ago. The first Formula 1 car to run a turbocharged engine was the Renault RS01(introduced at Silverstone in 1977) which evolved into the RS10 over 1977-1979 with a twin-turbo 1.5-litre V6. When the turbo charged engine was introduced the French were supposedly the laughing stock of the paddock. The RS10 won its first race in 1979 at the French Grand Prix at Dijon piloted by Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

The 1988 season was dominated by
turbocharged engines and Honda with its turbo V6 & McLaren drivers Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won all the grands prix except one won by Ferrari with its 033E V6.

The FIA did away with turbo charged engines in 1988 due to "safety concerns".

#59 ·
I think this year's Ferrari team is more interesting, in that the current driver lineup is probably affecting Alonso's blood pressure. It'll be very exciting trying to guess which of their two drivers will leave first. Other than that, my interest is on Williams. The GP itself was OK, the qualifying was very interesting on its own merits.

#64 ·
Bahrain was awesome. Really put team mates up against each other. Aaaaan Ricciardo beat Vettel. Not to mention the awesome fight for first with the Mercedes cars. Although I'm rooting for Mercedes, was a shame for Ferrari. Force India seemed to come out of no where and surprised the Hell out of me though.

Sent from my unreasonably large Note II

#68 ·
So someone counts beans, right? Is it cheaper to have Vettel refuse team orders and publicly air laundry vs having him listen and potentially putting the other car on the podium? Weighing exposure money vs team points money would be interesting.

If exposure is more profitable I'd love to see Vettel ram Alonso.

#69 ·
Vettel's complete lack of sensibility and smart calls makes me think he is desperate for attention since he has kind of taken a back seat to Ricciardo.
Highlight of the race was Vettel saying "Tough luck..." to team orders asking for him to allow Ricciardo pass and then getting passed by Ricciardo anyway. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

#70 ·
I wonder if it's not his complete lack of sensibility that's helped make him a millionaire.

I agree about the highlight of the race; in fact that's what lead me to my quesion: I wonder if it's more profitable for Red Bull to air dirty laundry (perhaps even generate dirty laundry specifically to then air it?!) than it is to fight for a few more points given that team points translate to money for the team at the end of the season. So it's possible that was all for show... Since the teams can chose which conversations make airtime and which don't, and this one made the broadcast, I wonder who made that decision and why. Are we being lead?

So, somebody must be doing cost:benefit analyses for each scenario I suppose, and I just wonder which option makes them the most ca$h.

#71 ·
I'm pretty sure it would be most beneficial, financially, to get Ricciardo on the podium rather than having him fight past his childish teammate. Seriously, Ricciardo would have had a better chance to pass Alonso if he didnt have to wait two laps to get past Vettel. More points more money, I would think.

Did you hear how Vettel is downplaying his rebbellious inner child? He is claiming that initially he thought they were on the same strategy (three stop I think) but after getting word that Ricciardo is on two stop, he let him pass. I don't buy it. I'm convinced he is at it again.

#72 ·
I would think the points would matter more in the end too, and I thought at the time that Ricciardo had a decent chance to catch Alonso had Vettel not delayed him. Since Ricciardo was so much quicker than Vettel at that stage, once the pace difference and the tyre strategy had become clear to Vettel I think it was pointless to fight, much less posture.

I wonder, has Vettel given this year's car a silly name like he did with cars in the past?

Also, I wonder how many world championships Vettel has won. Since the announcers didn't repeat the number more than a dozen times, I think I might write them a letter begging them to tell us all at least one hundred times per broadcast. That's a pet pieve of mine...

#74 ·
Intermission... Between Grands Prix and in the spirit of a Subaru forum here is the Subaru-powered (I'm using "powered" very generously) F1 car in its natural habitat (Gachot's car; Montreal CA 1990). The indifferent Subaru flat 12 and the Coloni organization's infrastructure combined into an unprecedented fiasco.

Coloni eventually did the right thing and got Ford engines. Good times.

#85 ·
I'd only been watching F1 for a year or two when Senna died. But, strangely, I can't remember or picture anything of F1 before the accident. I just remember watching him plough straight on and thinking, "Oh, this is bad." I can't believe it's 20 years ago already.

The GP2 race was truly entertaining and I'll bet history will show it was far more interesting than tomorrow's F1 GP!
Sad state of affairs but for my money the GP2 boys are more fun to watch. F1 used to be like that -- but back then the Rosberg behind the wheel was called Keke. Times change. I hope I've not changed with them.
You know, I've been feeling this way about F1 recently. I think it began last year when it appeared Vettel was set to dominate yet another season. I was watching the qualifying this past Saturday and realized I really didn't care what happened. And I can't put my finger on why I don't get as excited as I used to. I still look forward to a race weekend, but I think it's the anticipation that something, anything, interesting might happen. And then it doesn't. Well, in most of the races, anyway. I think part of the reason might be the reliability these days. Ten or fifteen years ago, mechanical failures were common. But recently, if someone's leading the race comfortably, you can put money on them staying there until the end of the race. It certainly takes away some of the drama and suspense. As do the new quieter engines. Probably more noticeable when you're actually at a race, but still kinda'.... dull.

But, yes, the lack of personalities is also a problem. I can't blame anyone for that; it's about such enormous sums of money these days that you can't have a driver ramming another car off the track as Senna would have done. Drivers have to be very careful with what they say for fear of upsetting sponsors and losing their jobs. A punch-up after an accident is simply not acceptable anymore. It's that all-round unpredictability that's missing from F1 these days, IMO.

#81 ·
The GP2 race was truly entertaining and I'll bet history will show it was far more interesting than tomorrow's F1 GP!
Sad state of affairs but for my money the GP2 boys are more fun to watch. F1 used to be like that -- but back then the Rosberg behind the wheel was called Keke. Times change. I hope I've not changed with them.

#82 ·
So Hamilton believes he's hungrier than Rosberg because the latter was raised in MC and on yachts? Aren't they neighbours in MC?

I think that year on the same team as Alonso has had a bit of an influence...

#84 · (Edited)
To be honest Keke was a more interesting driver. Prost mentioned in Competition Driving that Keke was more of a rallyman, arriving sideways everywhere. Although Prost critiques the technique, stating he (Prost) could readily adapt it -- though it's slower -- but Keke Rosberg could not as easily adapt Prost's technique (mild understeer and calculated moves win races etc.).

This year's MC GP was forty laps of waiting as the US-TV commentators kept on carrying on about an epic battle between teammates... that never happened... The highlight was Hamilton's complaint about the safety car messing up his boxing strategy. Zzzzz...

Compare then to now -- Bazza and Hunt in MC being, well, themselves. Today nobody can hold a candle (image from DailyMail UK):

And the sport has changed, it's now sterile. People discuss differences over Twitter and through the press, they don't communicate like they used to. Take Nelson Piquet for example:

Now when somebody waves their arm at someone it's replayed on TV like it's somehow meaningful. We need to go back to basics.

#86 ·
Hesketh was on TV last night during a documentary, laughing about not knowing, to quote him directly, &"!$*^**¥!!! About setting up a car in the rain, so they watched everyone else wrench away frantically and did nothing. A different era!

The first GP I remember was JP, Suzuka I think, in the wet. Lauda parked it, Hunt got enough points to win the title. I remember sporadic GPs (Rosberg the elder at MC, Jones making a cameo etc.) but I remember the first turbo era well. Always liked the small teams -- Zaksoeed with a turbo 4cyl and Brundle (was it?) vs. the giants. Good times. Traveling circus atmosphere.

Nostalgia can be useful only if we vote with our money I suppose. I've no desire to attend a GP some place that wasn't on the calendar 20 years ago. I'd rather go see Kyalami than Houston. I'd go see the Glen. I won't go to see divas in a sterilized environment. TV is OK for that.

I'm missing out, sure. I'm not realistic either. Bah!

#87 ·
Houston? From what I've read the last race in Houston was a disaster.
I have my turn 12 grandstand tickets for the USGP and am looking forward to it.

To those who complain the battle never came In MC did you watch Bahrain?

#89 ·
Didn't he state previously, ..."we're not friends.." though?

As for Bahrain, I'm ambivalent about watching newer venues at this point. I watched it, the racing was more interesting than MC, but I don't know if I'll watch that part of the championship next year. I'm thinking of pretending it's a shorter calendar, and the year could be ca. 1990 or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.