Subaru WRX Forum banner

F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results.

48K views 157 replies 11 participants last post by  abigailcarson73 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 is a venture into a new era for F1.

Many rule changes foremost of which will be entirely new engine specs. F1 will forego the 2.4L V8(which have been in use 2006-2013) for the smaller 1.6L turbocharged V6.

This is not F1's first foray into turbocharged engines. They were last used 26 years ago. The first Formula 1 car to run a turbocharged engine was the Renault RS01(introduced at Silverstone in 1977) which evolved into the RS10 over 1977-1979 with a twin-turbo 1.5-litre V6. When the turbo charged engine was introduced the French were supposedly the laughing stock of the paddock. The RS10 won its first race in 1979 at the French Grand Prix at Dijon piloted by Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

The 1988 season was dominated by
turbocharged engines and Honda with its turbo V6 & McLaren drivers Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won all the grands prix except one won by Ferrari with its 033E V6.

The FIA did away with turbo charged engines in 1988 due to "safety concerns".

#31 ·
Lol that photo is definitely erotic. It's apparent what the Lotus's nose looks like.

So far IMO the better looking car is the Force India. And they have deliberately revealed only a side shot.

#48 ·
That was one massive fail of a test session.

First impression. Sounds terrible. Cars seem fast. But without the noise,for some reason they don't look fast. It is going to be a long season of engine blow ups & break downs & frustrations. Reliability went out the window along with the old exhaust note.

And yeah,Lewis will probably be the Champion this year.

Sent from my HTC One

#49 ·
I don't ordinarily watch practice, but I did watch P1 on this occasion, just because it's the first race weekend of the season. Yeah, that engine sound is just... underwhelming. The constant hissing and whining grated on me within seconds of hearing the in-car footage for the first time. A screaming engine is really important to the whole senses-onslaught that is F1. It's very difficult to gain a sense of speed without sound. It really worries me for the future. I see fully electric cars in the future with virtually no sound, and I cannot imagine how boring that will be to watch.

I like the unreliability though. I think it's exactly what the last 2 or 3 seasons have been lacking. The occasional breakdown brings a little uncertainty to the result. Of course, if the cars are constantly breaking down this season to the point where winning the championship is just a game of luck, then it'll be farcical. But, I'm pretty sure a handful of the teams will make good progress with the cars throughout the season.

The one redeeming thing I see in this season is the torque. Add to that the narrower rear wing and we're seeing black lines being left on the exit of corners. I think during a race, when two drivers are fighting for position, both trying to exit a corner as quickly as possible to gain an advantage, finding a balance between speed and oversteer will make things quite exciting again.

So... Martin Whitmarsh. What happened to him? I don't recall hearing about him leaving. But according to NBC's commentary, he's just gone. Not taken a different position. Just, gone. I feel somewhat sorry for Ron Dennis. He's getting on a bit now and I'm sure was hoping to relax his commitments a little. Is he going to be at every race again because he's discovered that if you want a job done properly, you have to do it yourself?

#51 · (Edited)
Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes et al. are entirely uninteresting.

The key improvement this season is the presence of Martini livery. I've always felt it's the prettiest colour scheme on the planet. I'd like to see a more pronounced red/blue stripe region on the nose, but any Martini livery beats none.

The rest, turbos and noises and failures and egos and rambling from the announcers, is all meaningless. Only Martini matters.

Now, NBCSN are morons, let's be clear. They were showing commercials while Botas lost the rear wheel -- a moment that defined the GP. I don't think it's only chance; I've seen them cut to commercials during crucial moments before.

I believe it is prophetic idiocy, a type of low-IQ clairvoyance not yet fully understood by science. I'll be honest: how anyone able to walk upright can manage to make such a mess of a GP broadcast is beyond me.

Tomorrow morning the same channel will broadcast Man Utd vs. Liverpool and I am preparing for a fiasco.

Edit: the match was much better broadcast than the GP, so much so in fact that I'm getting another nine coffees to watch the next one, same channel, Spurs v Gunners.

#54 ·
Yeah. But, the team's fault. Ricciardo still drove very well. Soooo.... that was the first time an Australian had been on the podium at an Australian F1 race. But it doesn't count. So did it happen? If an Australian gets on the podium next year, will that be the first time? Even though it's physically happened before, if not on paper? Sometimes F1 is too convoluted for it's own good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.