Stock tires wear on a 2012 wrx when racing

This is a discussion on Stock tires wear on a 2012 wrx when racing within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got into auto crossing this year and I think I'm hooked. The question I have is about the longevity ...

Stock tires wear on a 2012 wrx when racing

Just got into auto crossing this year and I think I'm hooked. The question I have is about the longevity of the stock Dunlop tires when racing. So far I have two auto crosses and one track day on them.

The first autocross event I saw some wear to the tire, as to be expected, and didn't look too bad. did about 10 runs and each lap was about 90 seconds long on a proper track in 2nd gear. It was a colder day as well, about 50-60° out. Had the font tires at 40psi and rear at 33psi

The second autocross event was about the same conditions but only got 6 runs. Noticed the side of the tires to deform a little bit on the front tires, but still looked fine over all.

Went for a track day the past weekend and didn't realize they'd get that bad. 75° outside temp, 40psi front, 33psi rear. Each run was about 15mins. After the first run I noticed some fraying at the edges, but again wasn't too bad. After the second run the two front tires got bad, as you can see in the pic below.

I'm not sure if it was me driving to hard for the tires to handle, poor driving in general, or if the stock tires are not meant for such abuse? If I was smart and remembered I should have rotated the front tires to the rear and vice versa to help even out the wear and not destroy the pair.

Are these tires safe to drive on the streets till the colder weather comes and I can get my winter tires on? And any other tips you might have? I will be getting some dedicated autocross tires next year.

Here's a video of my best time at the track day

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those stock tires are fairly expensive from what I've seen. I hit 20,000 miles on mine and they are shot because my alignment was messed up the whole time even though I had rotated them 5 times. The outside half looks pretty good but the inside is about to show the belt fairly soon.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Not that bad of driving, I haven't seen the stock tires on these wear that quickly though, mine lasted 35k with a few autocross events and daily driving. I have Cooper RS3-S's now and they made a huge improvement, although I believe they're going to wear a little faster, the amount of wet and dry grip I gained is outstanding!

Are the RS3 Coopers all season?

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    Are the RS3 Coopers all season?
    they make all seasons (Zeon RS3-A) and summers (Zeon RS3-S)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying