Thinking of doing a track day or two this next year....questions

This is a discussion on Thinking of doing a track day or two this next year....questions within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So my hold out buddy is finally getting married in the next year sometime, and we have been kicking around ...

I Support ClubWRX

Thinking of doing a track day or two this next year....questions

So my hold out buddy is finally getting married in the next year sometime, and we have been kicking around a track day as part of the bachelor party. Just curious about some of the hardware I may want to get.

I know I need a Snell SA2005 helmet, anyone have recommendations on one that breathes well with a removable washable liner?

Harness bar and harnesses:

I had racing seats in my old car, and I'm not sure I want to go that far, but a harness bar and harnesses are relatively cheap. Anyone have one installed? Where do 4 point harnesses mount in a wrx?

Tools for the track:

So if you bring a jack/tools, where do you keep them when you are out running on track? Do you just pile them in the pit area and hope no one takes them?

Gas at the track:

Do you show up with a full tank and hope you don't run out, or are there pumps there? Gas cans?

Random comments?

Ironically, I have always wanted to do a track day and I have some awesome tracks all within driving distance.

Thunderhill is 1.5 hours away, Sonoma is 1.5 hours away, Laguna Seca is 4 hours away (and on my bucket list), Willow springs is 5 hours away.

Seems companies like Trackmasters and Extreme Speed charge around $200 a day to go out and run.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact the track and ask about amenities, including fuel. Talk to people about harness bars vs rolling the car and see what current thought is. Borrow a Simpson or something unless you already have a Snell made recently, or spring for a new helmet that you can also use elsewhere. Check your medical insurance; assume your auto insurance is useless. Ask about clothing, it's going to be hot this time of year.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I do track days regularly on my motorcycle, so I can answer some of the questions. Bring all the tools you think you would need plus any sort of spare parts for things that might get broken due to abuse or possible off road excursions. Safety wire and duct tape are your friends. For bikes there are also certain things that need to be safety wired or siliconed and we can't have glycol based anti-freeze, but the track will have those guides.
    Usually, people at track days are very helpful and theft isn't high, but high value and easily nicked things (accessports, cameras, phones) should be out of sight while you're lapping. Tools usually are pretty safe.
    I always fuel up prior to getting to the track and bring a couple of gas cans, though most tracks do have gas available (it is more expensive).
    Bring food and plenty of water.
    If there are garages available for rental, do it, definitely worth the $50 or so bucks. If there aren't garages, get an easy up.
    Consider a bringing a generator.
    Bring chairs!