F1 2013 Thread - Page 27
Closed Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2013 Thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SonicWagon Everyone says rush is amazing, I am dying to see it. It is showing here in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Everyone says rush is amazing, I am dying to see it.
    It is showing here in NYC. I might go see it later today.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Really? The trailer doesn't make it look any good to me at all. I'd love to be wrong.
    It's missing more racing, but the character development was good. The chicks were hot too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I Support ClubWRX

And earns a 10 place grid spot penalty. Like seriously?
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 09-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

And earns a 10 place grid spot penalty. Like seriously?
    When I watched this yesterday, I absolutely knew Webber was gone catch hell for that move. Although, until I saw your post, I hadn't heard any news since the end of the race. I couldn't recall seeing anyone doing this before and to me it just looked incredibly dangerous. When you consider how far safety in F1 has come in the last few decades to protect not just the drivers, but the pit crew and now the media in the pit lane, Webber's move seemed to go against all of that. I went looking for news about this incident and it seems this has happened many times before... that I wasn't aware of. Sure it looks nice for the spectators, but all it takes is for one driver who hasn't slowed down much on his in-lap to come around the corner too quickly and Webber could have been killed.

From what I understand, Webber received the 10 place grid penalty because this was his third reprimand of the season and that's the automatic penalty. It was unfortunate, but I think Webber's at the point of his F1 career where none of that matters much to him any more.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes it's happened many times before.

I disagree on the reprimand. It's one of the few "human" moments in the sport that isn't entirely contrived. The press conferences are an elaborate advertising campaign, the drivers generally retreat into clima caravans or 5* hotels immediately, everyone's a billionaire, and there's almost nothing with which one can relate.

The ride back to the pits, and whatever it is that Ecclestone wants us to believe is his hair, are two of the very few traditions left at this point. People that want something sensible buy anoraks, they generally don't do Grands Prix.

Consider that Senna not only hitched a ride from Mansell (above) but also at one point punched Eddie Irvine (something about a mountain bike?). It was all part of the sport and it still should be part of the sport.

Just IMO.

EDIT: Heh, Senna is wearing Diadora. Wish I could find a NOS pair of Martin Mulligan Diadora tennies. Those were the days. And Mansell is advertising beer. Haven't seen it at the grocer's in a while. I wonder.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Senna does it in style. & nice kick. Around the 1:40 mark.

Edit:Ninja post by Spiros beats me to it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Consider that Senna not only hitched a ride from Mansell (above) but also at one point punched Eddie Irvine (something about a mountain bike?). It was all part of the sport and it still should be part of the sport.
    From Wiki: This race set the theme of controversy for Irvine that would follow him for the next couple of years. Seeing Ayrton Senna coming up behind him in his mirror, Irvine allowed him to pass. However, when Senna could not lap Damon Hill who Irvine was racing against at the time, he felt he was being held up and, amazingly for a rookie against an all-time great, unlapped himself and then tried himself to overtake Hill.[4] Incensed at being held up behind the Irvine–Hill battle for more than a lap, Senna walked into the Jordan motorhome after the race and punched Irvine in the face.[5]

I Support ClubWRX
    MS who is never known to lose his temper got so close to punching Coulthard at Spa. If it weren't for the mechanics,we'd have seen a nice fight.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Sadly today's fights have come down to showing fists in protest & screaming matches.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes well today we have brand new, ultra-modern, highly sterile courses to consider, and each driver is an industry that supports numerous people, from business advisors to stylists. We can't have that sort of thing, someone might break a nail or get a run in their tights.

There were people on the grid this century who's fathers had gotten out of the cockpit and punched someone last century. Even in the car, some of the greatest in my lifetime have outright rammed other greats.

Now? Well I suppose Button's DQ for illegal fuel tanks is some sort of consolation -- people are still breaking the rules as such rather than breaking the rules and being rewarded -- but ramming and fighting seem to be a thing of the past.

Money changes everything.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    What fascinates me is that a Brazilian driver driving for an Italian team & a Spaniard driving for an English team,neither of whose native tongue is Italian, curse at each other & argue in Italian. Italian always seems to make everything sound more dramatic than it actually is.

I wish Raikkonen would learn Italian. At least it would make his already interesting radio transmissions,more interesting.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    I thought they made English the lingua franca for all transmissions, to facilitate selling commercials vs. actually communicating etc. So Ferrari would even today transmit in English not just to Alonso but even to an Italian -- Alboreto, say. Renault would transmit in English even to a Frenchman, and so on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most public radio transmissions from Ferrari to Alonso are in Italian. If I'm not mistaken Toro Rosso also communicates in Italian now & then.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I thought they made English the lingua franca for all transmissions, to facilitate selling commercials vs. actually communicating etc. So Ferrari would even today transmit in English not just to Alonso but even to an Italian -- Alboreto, say. Renault would transmit in English even to a Frenchman, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Most public radio transmissions from Ferrari to Alonso are in Italian. If I'm not mistaken Toro Rosso also communicates in Italian now & then.

Yes, English is the only language that is supposed to be spoken on the radio. And yet, somehow, Ferrari never get fined.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if it's legal to restrict language in the EU. Airlines are a special case, as is NATO. For a corporation to do so doesn't sound all that founded. Fining Ferrari for using Italian -- one of over 20 official languages -- in the EU generally is odd; doing it at the Italian or San Marino Grands Prix would be a lot more than odd. I can't imagine realistically expecting that to stick.

In fact even one of the dozens of official minority languages could work I think. I wonder if in Italy they could transmit in Greco... Hmm...

Anyway I'm underwhelmed by the notion of a lingua Franca in a sport/fashion show/etc that is a modern GP.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.