F1 2013 Thread - Page 16
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 483

This is a discussion on F1 2013 Thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alonso bravo!...

  1. #226
    Registered User itiswhatitisnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    282
    Alonso bravo!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #227
    Registered User Soobvirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    884
    That... was a boring race. I've come to the conclusion that I miss the unpredictability of who's actually going to finish the race. I think the FIA are holding back F1 technology development so far that teams and engine manufacturers now have no more room to gain performance, so have been able to focus more of their attention on reliability. You're not pushing boundaries if you're not breaking something, and I think F1 has lost that philosophy somewhere along the way.

    Great results for Bottas and DiResta but, oh Button, you're testing my faith. Come on mate, I want another championship from you! Massa did well to claw back so many places, but I think 3 crashes in two race weekends might be the final nail in his coffin with Ferrari. Poor fella'.

  4. #228
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,726
    I Support ClubWRX
    If anyone is in the SoCal area, I recommend the coverage by channel 46-1 over the air. Seems to be the same 1080i feed as 4-1 but:

    1. NO COMMERCIALS.
    2. It's in Spanish.

    Today this meant I did not have to watch crucial parts of the GP in a small box (NBC think they are doing viewers a favor...) and I did not have to listen to rambling. I put both channels on A-B and if the English speaking coverage got out of line or if they interrupted to try and sell rubbish, presto I've got the GP on again.

    Why are the RBRs so quick nowadays?

    Montreal looks a great venue. If I were to catch a GP in person somewhere in North America this would be it. Sorry, Texas. Montreal is a bit longer on the plane but not far enough to break the deal, and its much more historic and just plain looks pleasant.

    McLaren have some work to do. Ferrari can fight and I don't know if the head of dev is still a Hellene but even so, Alonso is so hard to stomach that I find myself cheering on everyone and anyone else.

    I agree with the boring statement though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #229
    Registered User Soobvirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Today this meant I did not have to watch crucial parts of the GP in a small box (NBC think they are doing viewers a favor...) and I did not have to listen to rambling.
    Totally agree. I'm still living in the last century, watching an old, bulky, square, 27" TV. The small box in the corner is too small for me to see, so I treat it as a commercial break that doesn't even have a small box. But, I cannot stand being advertised at, so I almost never watch anything live (including the race). Instead, anything i want to watch is recorded on the DVR simply so I can fast forward through the commercial breaks.

    But, I do like some commentary, even if it has to come from these three we currently have on NBC (Will Buxton excluded), so watching in Spanish is out for me.

  6. #230
    Registered User itiswhatitisnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Totally agree. I'm still living in the last century, watching an old, bulky, square, 27" TV. The small box in the corner is too small for me to see, so I treat it as a commercial break that doesn't even have a small box. But, I cannot stand being advertised at, so I almost never watch anything live (including the race). Instead, anything i want to watch is recorded on the DVR simply so I can fast forward through the commercial breaks.

    But, I do like some commentary, even if it has to come from these three we currently have on NBC (Will Buxton excluded), so watching in Spanish is out for me.
    lol whats wrong with Will Buxton?

  7. #231
    Registered User itiswhatitisnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If anyone is in the SoCal area, I recommend the coverage by channel 46-1 over the air. Seems to be the same 1080i feed as 4-1 but:

    1. NO COMMERCIALS.
    2. It's in Spanish.

    Today this meant I did not have to watch crucial parts of the GP in a small box (NBC think they are doing viewers a favor...) and I did not have to listen to rambling. I put both channels on A-B and if the English speaking coverage got out of line or if they interrupted to try and sell rubbish, presto I've got the GP on again.

    Why are the RBRs so quick nowadays?

    Montreal looks a great venue. If I were to catch a GP in person somewhere in North America this would be it. Sorry, Texas. Montreal is a bit longer on the plane but not far enough to break the deal, and its much more historic and just plain looks pleasant.

    McLaren have some work to do. Ferrari can fight and I don't know if the head of dev is still a Hellene but even so, Alonso is so hard to stomach that I find myself cheering on everyone and anyone else.





    I agree with the boring statement though.
    -Because Vettel has Newey which is 75% of his success or more Id say.
    -F1 isnt boring.
    -Alonso hard to the stomach? What do you mean by that? (He is the only driver who can challenge Vettel).
    -Try Ilemi.co (for English channels, SKY, BBC, MYP24U are available there).

  8. #232
    Registered User Soobvirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    lol whats wrong with Will Buxton?
    Haha, no, I meant he was the only one I liked.

  9. #233
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,726
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    -Alonso hard to the stomach? What do you mean by that? (He is the only driver who can challenge Vettel).
    In referring to a Hellene doing dev work at SF I was talking about Nicholas Tombazis. I've listened to Nicholas Tombazis and Fernando Alonso being interviewed in several languages and am a huge fan of the former but certainly not of the latter. For example, I like Alonso interviews in Spanish best for the same reasons I like USA TV coverage in Spanish -- I can't understand Spanish.

    I believe there are several drivers that can challenge Vettel and it is with regret that I concede Alonso is one of them. However he doesn't play well with others it seems. For example, McLaren, who have a history of "Two Number 1" drivers simultaneously on the team -- think of Lauda and Prost, then Prost and Senna for example -- had an exciting time with Alonso and Hamilton together... Anyway, suffice to say I'm not an Alonso fan.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  10. #234
    Registered User itiswhatitisnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In referring to a Hellene doing dev work at SF I was talking about Nicholas Tombazis. I've listened to Nicholas Tombazis and Fernando Alonso being interviewed in several languages and am a huge fan of the former but certainly not of the latter. For example, I like Alonso interviews in Spanish best for the same reasons I like USA TV coverage in Spanish -- I can't understand Spanish.

    I believe there are several drivers that can challenge Vettel and it is with regret that I concede Alonso is one of them. However he doesn't play well with others it seems. For example, McLaren, who have a history of "Two Number 1" drivers simultaneously on the team -- think of Lauda and Prost, then Prost and Senna for example -- had an exciting time with Alonso and Hamilton together... Anyway, suffice to say I'm not an Alonso fan.
    So you dont like Alonso because of his past and because he doesn't get along well with others? You know his speaks English too. lol

    However you not liking Alonso I can respect that. Many dont. However, it's tuff to find a reason too.

    I dont like Vettel. I have a multiple reasons for that

  11. #235
    Registered User itiswhatitisnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    282
    His commentary and inside information through the paddock is awesome. He has my dream job. ha!

    I must say they cover much more on NBC F1 wise then Speed Channel ever did.

  12. #236
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,726
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    So you dont like Alonso because of his past and because he doesn't get along well with others?
    He comes across as more of a primadona than many of the others.

    You know his speaks English too. lol
    I believe they've standardized on English in an effort to pay the bills. I can't say I like it. I was much happier listening to translated or dubbed interviews because the various languages gave things a more cosmopolitan flair. Now it sounds like air traffic controllers talking a standardized lingua franca and it comes across as much more sterile.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  13. #237
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,801
    I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  14. #238
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    I admire Alonso's skill as a driver, but am a little poisoned by the whining he did, years ago, when things wouldn't go his way. At this point, I'm trying to keep in mind that he was very young at the time, and has perhaps matured in the interim.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  15. #239
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,447
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I admire Alonso's skill as a driver, but am a little poisoned by the whining he did, years ago, when things wouldn't go his way. At this point, I'm trying to keep in mind that he was very young at the time, and has perhaps matured in the interim.
    He hasn't done much whining in the last 3 years, quite the opposite actually. Since I wasn't present for the "whinny times" I have always had a positive perception of the guy.

    Now his teammate Massa whined incessantly last year and came off as a petulant child. Massa won't be at Ferrari next year, and I doubt he'll be in F1, he doesn't seem like the type of guy to take a job at Caterham. He just hasn't been the same since taking that spring from Rubens Barichello's car to the head at 150mph.

    Ferrari would be smart to swoop up Webber for the 2014 year. He is Mr. Consistent. He is not the fastest driver on the grid, but he finishes races consistently in the top 5 and scores valuable constructor points. While Seb may have been #1 the last 3 years, without Webber, RBR would not have won the Constructors title any year.

    I doubt Vettel will leave RBR for Ferrari in 2015 unless Newey and Horner go too.

    If Kimi lands at RBR and Vettel pulls Webber-esque **** on him, I think Kimi will knock him out. It would be fun to watch.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  16. #240
    Registered User Soobvirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Ferrari would be smart to swoop up Webber for the 2014 year. He is Mr. Consistent. He is not the fastest driver on the grid, but he finishes races consistently in the top 5 and scores valuable constructor points. While Seb may have been #1 the last 3 years, without Webber, RBR would not have won the Constructors title any year.

    I doubt Vettel will leave RBR for Ferrari in 2015 unless Newey and Horner go too.
    Very true about Webber. Vettel has extended his contract through 2015.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •