SCCA
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on SCCA within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; looking to get into more autocross this season, anyone on here got a modded wrx in autocross? what have you ...

SCCA

looking to get into more autocross this season, anyone on here got a modded wrx in autocross? what have you done and what class are you in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I was heavily into autox with the Philly region for ~4 seasons. I have not been out since 2010.

Have a look at my mod list. I started out in STX, then SM with a mild turbo upgrade and 21 psi of boost.

I think I hit an ability plateau - the WRX has become far more capable than I am as a driver. Going out to an event became an exercise in frustration. Might have been more fun if I had stayed in STX. I get eaten alive in SM.

Did a track day last fall. That was the most fun I've ever had with the WRX. Way more seat time and I think a far better better value per dollar / smile wise. Is is much harder on the car though.

Not sure what I'll be doing in 2013 ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I just got into Auto-X last year (when I bought the car) and it is a lot of fun.

There aren't too many mods you can do if you want to stay in the stock class. I think there's a stock class for street tires and another for those wanting to run slicks. Read the rules if you want specifics.

If you want to do light mods and to run street tires STU/STX is a decent choice for that. I liked being able to take my car to an event and not have to swap wheels in the morning. Gives you more time to walk the course

I think all the 09+ WRX's have to run STU with mods, this is the class I was in and it is a tough one. You'll be with STIs from all years, EVOs, and BMW 3 series. I got consistently spanked in this class, but I was also a newbie so it was ok. I did just as well as all the other novices so I wouldn't say I was too out of my league.

I haven't read the rules in a while but I think you have to stay at stock boost levels for STU, so if you wanted a new downpipe on your car you would be in a new class (SM?), or you would need a map made to run on stock boost levels to use in STU (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

There's definitely others that are more experienced with this than I, so hopefully they will chime in. I wouldn't worry too much about the class and being competitive if you're just starting out. Just get a lot of seat time, meet some cool people, and have fun!

SCCA is a label we use for cancer here at work. Glad to see that you guys were talking about something different! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddictt88 View Post
    looking to get into more autocross this season, anyone on here got a modded wrx in autocross? what have you done and what class are you in?
    I run STU:

2005 WRX STi
    RCE T2's 550/450springs (will run 600/500 in 2013)
    Vorshlag Front Camber plates/Cusco Rear Camber plates - Custom alignment, lot's of camber, a little toe out
    245/40/17 Direzza Star Specs on FN01R-C HV 17x9 wheels
    RCE Adjustable FSB
    Stock RSB
    Offset Front (rear) control arm bushings (harder/more caster)
    Complete TIC rear bushing set:
    Front/Rear Trailing arms/lateral links, rear diff, outrigger bushings
    SS Brake lines, VOXA sport front slotted rotors, stock rear, Ferodo DS2500 pads
    Cobb 3" catted turboback exhuast
    A couple of new tunes for 2013. The last 2 years I've run a 93 octane STU tune, This year I'm stepping up to a 100octane.... or an E-85 depending on if it stays legal..... (yes I'm on stock injectors and fuel pump; yes I know it's risky)
    11lb battery

Oh, I almost forgot: no washer fluid and aftermarket lug nuts

SCCA Solo Nationals 2012 - Lincoln Airpark - John - Day 2, Run 2 - East Course - YouTube
    Last edited by STiDriven; 12-31-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STiDriven View Post
    Vorshlag Front Camber plates/Cusco Rear Camber plates - Custom alignment, lot's of camber, a little toe out
    How much camber are you running F&R? And are you toed out both F&R? You should have toe out on the front and toe in on the rear.

RCE Adjustable FSB
    Stock RSB
    What setting do you have the front bar on? And why no rear bar? That would really help balance out the car.

SS Brake lines, VOXA sport front slotted rotors, stock rear, Ferodo DS2500 pads
    Upgraded fluid too I assume (hope)?

Oh, I almost forgot: no washer fluid
    How much time does having that 8 pounds less in the front cut off your times and improve your handling? Do you empty it when you get to the event and refill it when you leave, or do you just never use any and never drive in wet winter conditions so you don't risk driving blind?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddictt88 View Post
    I ran my STI in auto-x but I didn't have a ton of mods on it, just a stage 1 tune and different tires. It's a much better vehicle for auto-x of course than a WRX due to the much better suspension, but the WRX is still a great auto-x car. I'd want to change out the sway bars as the first thing if I was going to run a WRX in a lot of auto-x events (and was hoping to get good times).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    How much camber are you running F&R? And are you toed out both F&R? You should have toe out on the front and toe in on the rear.
    This year camber I ran -3.5F/-2.2R with just 1/16" toe out each wheel Front (so 1/8" total). Rear was zero toe. Based on tire temps this was a hair too much camber and last year I ran -3.1 and it was a hair too little. This year I was planning on running -3.3F/-2.2R and the same toe to start the season. Gotta see if what tire temps are and how the car feels on the new springs.

What setting do you have the front bar on? And why no rear bar? That would really help balance out the car.
    Front bar is on full stiff, but when I put the 600lbs springs on I'm going back to soft to dial in the car. As far as a RSB, I've run several over the years - a larger RCE adjustable, a smaller Cusco adjustable, no sway bar, and back to stock.... Why? Because of the horrible rear wheel lift I would get with any RSB. I even get rear wheel lift on some really tight slow speed corners on the stock RSB. Any time in mid corner waiting for the rear tire to come back to the pavement was time wasted. I was really happy with the setup last year as far as balance - I'm moving to a stiffer setup because the front still needs a bit more roll resistance to help keep the rear planted.

I've noticed for whatever reason the 05 STi's seem to suffer from rear wheel lift the most. No other years seem to have the issue unless running a big rear bar.

Upgraded fluid too I assume (hope)?
    Yup, ATE fresh every season.

How much time does having that 8 pounds less in the front cut off your times and improve your handling? Do you empty it when you get to the event and refill it when you leave, or do you just never use any and never drive in wet winter conditions so you don't risk driving blind?
    This was a game changer. I never fill it because I like to live dangerously.
    Last edited by STiDriven; 01-02-2013 at 10:04 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

SCCA

I'm not crazy about rear toe personally. Zero sounds nice to me.

Your comments about rear wheel lift brought fond memories if the Golf GTi, and reinforce my belief that the more one adds bar the more one subtracts independence. At some point even on level ground independence is more worthwhile.

Thanks for the info.

Question: wouldn't ideal camber (measured with a pyrometer as you did) vary with different tyres? So if next year you change compounds, you'd have to measure temps again? Curious.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm not crazy about rear toe personally. Zero sounds nice to me.

Your comments about rear wheel lift brought fond memories if the Golf GTi, and reinforce my belief that the more one adds bar the more one subtracts independence. At some point even on level ground independence is more worthwhile.

Thanks for the info.

Question: wouldn't ideal camber (measured with a pyrometer as you did) vary with different tyres? So if next year you change compounds, you'd have to measure temps again? Curious.
    Ah - VW's..... they sure do like to 3-wheel around big sweepers. Sure fun to watch those cars on course - that and the couple BMW's that will lift the inside front wheel on course.

With AWD - it's not too bad if just for a moment at turn-in on the car, but on occasion if you get enough where your getting on the gas, feel the wheel spin-up and you can just feel how hard it is on the car when the wheel plants. Unsettles the car a bit and can't be good on the diffs. I see some of the prepared class STI's doing it all the time and can't imagine how they can drive the car that way.

As far as ideal camber - yes it will vary with compound. And I do plan on running the new Star Specs, so it will be just a ballpark really for the first alignment. That on top of the stiffer springs will change things. With more spring I expect I'd need a bit less camber from before but won't know till I run the car.
    Last edited by STiDriven; 01-02-2013 at 06:47 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

SCCA

Now you're bringing back memories! Before I digress, GOOD LUCK out there and have fun! Sincere best wishes!

Now! The MkII MR2 lifts a front wheel also. As for the GTi... Heh... Quad headlamps, the 112HP 1,8L injected 8 valve motor, Kamei body bits... Turning on three wheels with 185/60 Pirelli P6s fitted... King of the hot hatches back then. Sigh...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.