Aggresive driving question

This is a discussion on Aggresive driving question within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I recently bought a 2010 wrx hatch and was wondering what kind of **** and abuse I can safely ...

So I recently bought a 2010 wrx hatch and was wondering what kind of **** and abuse I can safely put this thing through. I previously owned an 07 impreza 2.5i wagon and I was impressed with how well it handled muddy dirt roads. But this is also my DD and I just want to have some fun but not ratbag it like I did my 2.5i. There is a local rally cross club which I want to so badly participate in and would this car be able to stand up to the beating provided it well serviced?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I would gladly use your car for rally cross. I would never use mine though.

Autox has more potential for cone scars but less for gravel scrapes. Your car, your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good on you for taking the car on a track, not the streets. How well the car will hold up depends on multiple factors, the number one of course being how you drive it.

I've autoX'd my WRX with no apparent issues other than increased tire wear (greatly increased). That said, the course was level, throughly cleaned prior, and was wide open. Other than eating a cone or two, there was nothing to hit. RallyX, by definition, will have a much rougher course. It's up to you to decide what you do, but as with any form of motorsport, enter with the expectation that you'll be making repairs somewhere along the line.

You never know when you might hit a rock, run off course, dig into a rut, etc. That's a variable of racing that you'll have to decide if you can accept or not.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Re: Aggresive driving question

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would gladly use your car for rally cross. I would never use mine though.
    PHHHFFFFF! Damn you man, I almost woke the baby!

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX

Oops, careful. However I speak the truth. Rallyx is not as paint-friendly as autox. Even so I'd rather drive someone else's car. In fact if there is $ to spare I'd recommend neither of the above but an arrive-and-drive deal at a track instead. Enjoy your Subaru commuting to and from the venue, pay a lot, but drive something prepared and owned by someone else. To me that's always preferable.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No worries on the motor, it's made to handle it. Just keep your oil & filters changed. As you note in the posts above, the biggest worry is on your skillz keeping it on the road/off cones.

p.s. - I'd agree with that (I'm easily over 100+ autocross events,~ 10 track days.)