First track day! Now with 140% more pics! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First track day! Now with 140% more pics! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pics!...

I Support ClubWRX
    Pics!

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know that car!

And I know that facial hair!!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Great pics.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Badarse, Bill!

Looks like a load of fun. The WRX looks pristine after 8.5 years! I'm sure the engine bay does too
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome Bill! Maybe one of these days I'll participate, but I imagine my WRX won't last too long at WOT for 30 minutes straight :-/
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    That's just fantastic, Bill! Looks like a blast!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

First track day! Now with 140% more pics!

Awesome! Maybe the camera angle is adding to the effect, but that car sure corners flat!

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Hahahaha especially compared to the BMW in the background...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    Badarse, Bill!

Looks like a load of fun. The WRX looks pristine after 8.5 years! I'm sure the engine bay does too
    It is / was! The exterior is looking OK, but showing its age. The most recent bay pic:

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Awesome Bill! Maybe one of these days I'll participate, but I imagine my WRX won't last too long at WOT for 30 minutes straight :-/
    Why you say that? It is not WOT the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's just fantastic, Bill! Looks like a blast!
    It is / was!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Awesome! Maybe the camera angle is adding to the effect, but that car sure corners flat!
    Was not leaning too hard in your example. The last two pics are more realistic. More Gs than an autox run.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    very nice glad you had a great time (excluding mr asstard) !! , nice pics too

moar bill inside (qwik edit) !!
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Congratulations on what looks like a successful and fun outing! Although I have run a couple of seasons of SCCA Autocross, I have never driven a car at full speed on a full racing circuit (been in one, but never driven). I can imagine the boost in confidence that the experience may have given you, that will stay with you for a long time.

Having read a number of stories about track days, what has always surprised me has been the stress on the car: brake fluid boiling, brake pads and tires wearing out, engines using surprising amounts of oil, that sort of thing. It is the pressure-cooker. Clearly you were prepared in the brake department, so you went into this with your eyes open.

Good job. Do you plan to go back?

Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Congratulations on what looks like a successful and fun outing! Although I have run a couple of seasons of SCCA Autocross, I have never driven a car at full speed on a full racing circuit (been in one, but never driven). I can imagine the boost in confidence that the experience may have given you, that will stay with you for a long time.

Having read a number of stories about track days, what has always surprised me has been the stress on the car: brake fluid boiling, brake pads and tires wearing out, engines using surprising amounts of oil, that sort of thing. It is the pressure-cooker. Clearly you were prepared in the brake department, so you went into this with your eyes open.

Good job. Do you plan to go back?

Chris
    It is not much like autox - I've been in many of those events going back to 2005. Track corners are so much more fluid and smooth unlike autox turns which tend to be abrupt and jarring. I was well prepared, knowing what to expect. The brakes did not fade at all despite them getting quite hot. I never smelled cooking brake lining like that - much more than bedding in new pads. I'm sure I lost lining, but have not actually measured. I might just do that for fun ...

I was able to measure about 1/32" of tire wear. Unlike many high performance summer tires, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a 300 treadwear rating and were still plenty sticky for what the track threw at them. The WRX handled very predictably, far more so than my driving ability. No measurable oil usage, which is not surprising as the WRX never seems to consume oil. The twice OEM thickness Koyo radiator may have helped as well.

I will likely do this again, but will not make a habit of it like I did autox.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-05-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Re: First track day! Now with 140% more pics!

Good to hear! Yours coped better than mine it seems. Tire wear and expensive brake pads build quick.

You may notice if you go back some additional wear. After I started getting more fluid and confident.. The wear on both systems went up.

Also keep in mind, some non super aggressive tires may not be a bad thing. The stickier tires will result in directly more brake wear. I know my brakes are at their limit with the tires I was running. Wouldn't attempt slicks without getting my brake venting kit on finally. Even then I'd be hesitant.

Does your track stay open late through the year? Ours seems to only do a few open days a year. Which is a good thing for my wallet for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Revisiting this thread to hyperlink it into another ...

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Whats up with that exhaust on the GT3???
    I now know the answer to this. Some tracks have decibel limits. The exhaust is pointing away from the direction the sound measuring devices are typically placed (the outside perimeter). This supposedly reduces the decibel numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Do you plan to go back?
    A year and a half later and I'm not so sure. It was quite hard on the WRX and I don't want some expen$ive surprises on a 10+ year old car. It's a long walk back here from interior South Jersey.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-30-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Cool thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.