how to get into racing/drifting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to get into racing/drifting within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just been thinking for awhile about getting into the racing/ drifting. not sure where to begin. Any ideas on where ...

how to get into racing/drifting

Just been thinking for awhile about getting into the racing/ drifting. not sure where to begin. Any ideas on where to start I'm located in NY. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as a hobby?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

yeah, just one of those things ive always wanted to do.

Watch the fast and the furious like 15 times then go practice racing in a school zone.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I'm no expert... I'm still learning but...

easiest is bring yourself and your friends to a local auto-x event. A lot of my friends are now hooked on auto-x locally and we sometimes drive 4+ hours away to check out and take part in some of the larger auto-x events.

If you've got the $ just prep your car and go to a track day.

Again make it a social event... bring your friends and have fun racing against each other. Its just that much more fun competing against people you know and talking about what happened with a beer and a few drinks right after.

[edit]

if you're a baller go club racing. done
    Last edited by Acrdys; 08-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

If you're talking about going to the track then I'd recommend some beginner's classes first. You should search for some local drift events or check out a local forum. For drifting though, I would personally buy a beater and find an abandoned lot with a large amount of space, and practice there.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to get into drifting, get a new car. The purpose of drifting is to lose grip while maintaining control; AWD is designed to maintain grip.

Central New York Region, Sports Car Club of America

The suggestions for Auto-X are spot-on. There used to be events at the State Fair; I've been to them before. They're pretty fun, and have higher speed stretches than the ones here in the Capital Region. Auto-X is great because you can push yourself and your car to the limit in a controlled environment (so you can get the car dialed in as you'd like). If you get to a test/tune event, you're likely to get more runs than a regular event.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I would never track my car. I'd track someone else's instead. Look into arrive-and-drive events. Better theirs than yours.

Either way, bring your wallet. One way to go about it is to make a budget and then expect to simply spend every last penny you own anyway; this is the most reasonable way to estimate expenses.

Autox is cheaper. For a hobby I'd do that if I cared about money at all.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Search through your regional SCCA events for beginner AutoX events. I did a one-day class for $60, and had a one-on-one instructor the whole time (who professional raced WRXs, so he had lots of insider tips on how to get the most out of the car). The morning was all about in-car instruction, they observed your driving on their course, then offered improvements. The afternoon was just running continuous circuits on the AutoX track to practice. It was really fun, and other than wearing down the outer edges of my front tires quite a bit from understeer, didn't hurt the car at all.

AutoX is low speed, you'll stay in 2nd gear, and in most cases, never top 45mph, but the tight course increases the sensation of speed, so it's a great adrenaline rush in a relatively safe environment, compared to full track racing anyway.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would never track my car. I'd track someone else's instead.

This is precisely what I have done in the past. In the Auto-x events in which I've competed, I've used a friend's track-only vehicle.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

This is precisely what I have done in the past. In the Auto-x events in which I've competed, I've used a friend's track-only vehicle.
    I LOL'd...and it makes absolutely perfect sense!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

if i was to drift it wouldnt be in the WRX, id buy something else. But im gonna look into autocross events. How much does it usually cost to register for an autocross event. Just curious thanks for all the input.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by btwnWRX11 View Post
    if i was to drift it wouldnt be in the WRX, id buy something else. But im gonna look into autocross events. How much does it usually cost to register for an autocross event. Just curious thanks for all the input.
    You're going to want to check with SCCA. Firstly, there is a membership fee and maintenance for joining SCCA, and the event will cost $$ as well.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Get a new wife
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by btwnWRX11
    Without an SCCA membership, I think it's like ~$45/day. You can put two "day passes" towards a membership (at least in the past, this was the case); basically, try before you buy.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.