how to get into racing/drifting - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on how to get into racing/drifting within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Without an SCCA membership, I think it's like ~/day. You can put two "day passes" towards ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Without an SCCA membership, I think it's like ~$45/day. You can put two "day passes" towards a membership (at least in the past, this was the case); basically, try before you buy.
    Autox is the way to go for sure. They frown on drifting during runs, so don't even ask about doing it.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would never track my car. I'd track someone else's instead. Look into arrive-and-drive events. Better theirs than yours.

Either way, bring your wallet. One way to go about it is to make a budget and then expect to simply spend every last penny you own anyway; this is the most reasonable way to estimate expenses.

Autox is cheaper. For a hobby I'd do that if I cared about money at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

This is precisely what I have done in the past. In the Auto-x events in which I've competed, I've used a friend's track-only vehicle.

Well you are either terrible drivers or chicken......

Totally j/k

Arrive and drive is cool if you can do that. But I have to admit - half the fun for me is modding my car/adjusting myself (except for things like Wheel bearings - thanks Sean/Vigilant!), and seeing how fast I can be on what I've done to the car.

Super fun for me.

My advice.

See if your local clubs/regioin have a forum. Post there and folks will help point you in the right direction. Generally, local clubs love when new people come out to an event (unless you act like an ass). Check out the scca website to find your local region. Sometimes the local region site will also have links to some of the local clubs.

Cost wise. Here you can run for as little as $20 in the local clubs. $30 for scca events (member) and $45ish? for non member.

Anyway, if you choose autox, just show up (early) and tell them you are new. They'll most likely take you on a novice walk and set you up with someone to ride along as you like. They'll also help you class your car.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

2013 WRX STi Sedan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.