Scion fr-s first???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Scion fr-s first??? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just saw a commercial for the Scion FR-S stating it's the first horizontally opposed boxer engine. Am I missing something? ...

Scion fr-s first???

Just saw a commercial for the Scion FR-S stating it's the first horizontally opposed boxer engine. Am I missing something? Are they playing on some wording?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Yes, the rest of the sentence. I don't recall it (I don't watch live TV so I've only seen that commercial once or twice accidentally) but they finish the statement with something or other about the fueling or management system. So it's "the first bla bla with fancy expensive rubbish bla" or something like that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Lol. There's a huge debate about that going on in the Facebook subie group I'm a part of. Sounds like a misleading statement on Scions part.
    -2012 DGM WRX
    From the 559

Misleading is an understatement lol.

Its the first horizontally opposed engine in a FR configuration

aka.. front engine rear drive. All other boxer/rwd cars were rear or mid engine located
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

There's too much time between "the worlds first and only horizontally opposed boxer engine" and "with d4-s direct..."

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    There's too much time between "the worlds first and only horizontally opposed boxer engine" and "with d4-s direct..."
    iMotorTimes - 2013 Scion FR-S Commercial Features Engine Cutaway; Misleading Engine Claims Offend Fans (Video) - iMotor Times

Guess Scion has released a statement about this. It's a nice looking car but that is lame advertising. Also isn't the FR-S just a BRZ with a Scion badge or vice versa........?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Its the first horizontally opposed engine in a FR configuration

aka.. front engine rear drive. All other boxer/rwd cars were rear or mid engine located
    It's not even Toyota's first front engine RWD (F-R) boxer. Toyota were making cars like that many decades ago.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sports_800

That car is cool for three reasons:
    1. No Subaru baggage.
    2. No Japanese cartoon "e!gHt-s1x" baggage.
    3. A nose that looks like the nose on the Toyota 2000GT (You Only Live Twice).

In any case Scion (Toyota) have a history with that layout.

Toyota also made a family car with that layout and the same motor, and it looked like a cross between a Trabant and a Triumph Herald. Good times.

EDIT: I'm now speculating! The Toyota boxer from the Sport 800 was also used in the mid 70s in a Toyota bus -- not to move the bus but to power the A/C unit. This raises the possibility that Toyota have used two flat motors in the same vehicle, since the truck line from which the bus evolved offered an H-diesel. I hope it's true actually, that'd be neat. And if -- if -- it's true, then Toyota have made both an FR boxer sporting car and a diesel flat motor decades before their partner in current development, Subaru.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    .....<smack!>
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Well sometimes fact is stranger than fiction though. That's why history is so amazing.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    First boxer motor with Direct Injection I imagine?

No, probably some Ferrari H12 was the first to that punch
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    ^^^ This. Had me confused as well.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I hate to say it...but the FR-S/BRZ is becoming more appealing to me with each passing day. It's vitally important that I go nowhere near one any time soon...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    If you get too close just stare at the reverse lamp. To me that style cue is as bad as the door handles on the Nissan Z. Focus on that and it'll save you lots of money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast