Learning to handle WRX in Solo

This is a discussion on Learning to handle WRX in Solo within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had my WRX to 4 SCCA Solo events. (This is my 3rd season...used front drive cars 1st 2) I'm ...

Learning to handle WRX in Solo

I've had my WRX to 4 SCCA Solo events. (This is my 3rd season...used front drive cars 1st 2) I'm doing OK in Solo, but need to learn how to shave a few more tenths of a second of my times.
    I've been given a couple of suggestions; 1) Left foot breaking, 2) hand break use. After doing some reading, I don't think that using the hand break is too smart, due to the speed difference between the front and rear wheels and the differential...as some one put "makes bad juju". So, I'm trying to learn how to use my left foot to "lightly" touch the break and keep my right foot on the peddle to keep the rpms up...It's tough...break peddle is light and my foot heavy
    BTW my PAX time beat a STI this last event...I know in D Stock, I will never have fast time, but I do want to maintain respectable times.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/ubb/confused.gif
    Does anyone who does Solo have any ideas?

BeardieBrat

PS: I had 1000 mile on my WRX before I did Solo.
    Getting 25 mpg
    4700 miles on od.
    And it keeps feeling better every day!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's "brake". Breaking is bad.

Unless its Breaking Bad ;-)

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

I used to do heel-toe just so I could learn it and know how to do it. I only did it for about a week, but I found it much easier to sort of tilt your foot so its not vertical but more horizontal, then use your toes on the break and heel on the gas. Someone people will suggest using right foot big toe on break, and right side of shoes on the gas, but it really depends on how it feels to you, and how the pedals are positioned

You must have little feet :P
    I can't fit mine sideways in the pedals like that, and my feet aren't that big. I do prefer the big toe on the brake and roll the right side of the shoe on the gas. But I'm used to doing it in my old mr2 because that had tiny pedals very close together so you HAD to do a more vertical heel-toe

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I actually have a size 13. But I dont keep my foot completely horizontal, more like pitched to the side

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardieBrat View Post
    I've had my WRX to 4 SCCA Solo events. (This is my 3rd season...used front drive cars 1st 2) I'm doing OK in Solo, but need to learn how to shave a few more tenths of a second of my times.
    I've been given a couple of suggestions; 1) Left foot breaking
    The hardest part isn't braking with the left, it's then going back to shifting with the left, especially immediately after braking. The feel is very different. I'd end up either not pushing the clutch in hard -- and thus quickly -- enough, or conversely and worse mashing on the brake pedal, making the car nose dive.

2) hand break use.
    Much easier to learn but you also risk bogging with this anyway. Plus it's hard on the driveline.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have been to quite a few AutoX events this year with my WRX as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you as this is my first year so I'm still learning so much. Ive heard that left foot braking is good for turbocharged cars, especially on the kinds of courses seen in solo. I will consider trying it out soon. Let us know if you discover anything!

Nice job on beating that STI I did beat an EVO X at my last one, but I'm pretty sure he was as new as me...

Thanks for all the ideas!...I'm 5"2" and have small feet. I wear a 6 in women's or a 4 1/2 in boys...so I'm not too sure about heel/toe...I have been trying very light left foot braking to and from work.
    With the courses we tend to run, I'm out of 1st and into 2nd pretty quick and that's were I stay. We haven't had a long enough course to use 3rd...very short on space.
    Read a review a couple of days ago that stated that the WRX was 9/10ths of an STI and a poor "man's" Ferrari...Guys, we've got it good!

I'm very curious to learn what you figure out with AutoX. I'm coming from a fwd car (tC) as well. Toughest part, I think, will be the improved competition in the classes the WRX falls in. I pretty much owned STF in my area but that was mainly due to competing against less experienced drivers. STU, where I'll probably compete, is far more competitive.

Have you taken any driving courses? That'll help you shave more than just 1/10ths of a sec off and the SCCA has them pretty cheap.

I Support ClubWRX
    hhmm.. My vote would be RA gear set in the transmission, a pro-tune and the addition of launch control which will jet you out of the hole faster saving plenty of time there and flat foot shifting, eliminating the need to remove your foot from the floor while accelerating.

Wouldnt do that with a stock 5 speed tho. RA gears would take it fine however.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

You don't HAVE to left-foot-brake (LFB) to be fast. If you try it and like it, go for it. I don't and regularly top our PAX for our region. (I'm a mid-pack level national level driver at the moment).

If your still new, maximize seat-time for now. The best tips I can think of for a newbie driving a WRX/STi

1) Look ahead
    2) Brake sooner so you can get on the gas sooner. (prolly most important - also known as not over-driving corner entries)
    3) As little steering input as you can to get around the course.
    4) Don't get behind in the slaloms

Also try to remember to have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BeardieBrat View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas!...I'm 5"2" and have small feet. I wear a 6 in women's or a 4 1/2 in boys
    I was going to just subscribe to the thread for following up, but then I saw this. Are you of the female variety? ...Else I'm wondering why you know what size shoe you wear in women's shoes... lol
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula