KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCO - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCO within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison This is Genious marketing. 10million youtube hits in 48hrs. Don't tell me that it didn't work ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    This is Genious marketing. 10million youtube hits in 48hrs. Don't tell me that it didn't work for Subaru with Gymkhana 2. Subaru got a huge boost in popularity from that video.
    While I agree that Block contributed to Subaru awareness and marketing, I will be a grumpy old man and suggest the archetype that Block introduced to Subaru (Monster energy, drifting y0, and flat-brimmed hats) is undesirable to any brand.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

These are marketing videos. This is a mega budget super commercial for the MUSTANG 5.0 and its friggin awesome. I'd much rather watch this MUSTANG 5.0 than watch some average run o' the mill turd
    of a NON MUSTANG car commercial.

Dude, I totally agree!!!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Except for the fact that Ken drives a Fiesta, not a Focus...

Don't believe me? Check out 0:22 of the video.
    Oops. Either way its still bringing attention to Ford performance cars, and there is a Focus ST add mixed in towards the end. All of this was perfectly timed before the release of the Focus ST.

The video is sweet. He's in the middle of the Bay doing donuts and if you were lucky enough to be on the Golden Gate bridge you could've seen it. I guess you have to be from the Bay Area to fully appreciate how insane this video is.

I don't drink monster because all of the flavors are terrible. I drink much more Rockstar than I should though. Is rockstar douchey? I have an image to maintain...
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    He's in the middle of the Bay doing donuts and if you were lucky enough to be on the Golden Gate bridge you could've seen it. I guess you have to be from the Bay Area to fully appreciate how insane this video is.
    I've done more that watch him. I rode with him on a gymkhana course at SEMA, and yes, it was insane.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    I don't drink monster because all of the flavors are terrible. I drink much more Rockstar than I should though. Is rockstar douchey? I have an image to maintain...
    I'll admit, Rockstar has some good stuff. They have some great "frappacino"-sort of coffee drinks, and their natural energy drinks (sort of like Sobe, I guess) are really good and not totally loaded with chemicals and caffeine.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

lol

I'm with Rex - there's a lot of Block haters here! Granted, he's a flat-brim. But he can drive a car. If you want to argue, just ask David Higgins.

I personally LIKE the attention he has brought to Subaru, RallyX, and just pure enjoyment of driving. I like the fact that he's the founder of a huge company and still a C-Level exec while not being a prick in a suit. He's having fun, and if you wanna knock that, you need to get yourself checked out. This is all about having fun, and he's doing it with aplomb.

Re: Gymkhana 5 - I thought the setting was really cool and it was cool to see him do this stuff on regular streets. I liked the sideways jump and the 4 dozen camera angles a lot. But I, too though that this video was boring in comparison to the others.

EDIT: I forgot about energy drinks. Here's a warning (but not preaching!) - Stay away from them unless you have an already healthy diet. My brother and cousin have both been hospitalized because they relied on these things. Perhaps if you woke up one morning paralyzed due to a calcium deficiency you'd think twice about using these like food. EAT NORMAL FOOD.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Did someone say car jumps?

I enjoyed this video 100x more.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    EDIT: I forgot about energy drinks. Here's a warning (but not preaching!) - Stay away from them unless you have an already healthy diet. My brother and cousin have both been hospitalized because they relied on these things. Perhaps if you woke up one morning paralyzed due to a calcium deficiency you'd think twice about using these like food. EAT NORMAL FOOD.
    Holy crap, I know they're bad for you, but damn! I only drank them in college (guy in my project group was a Rockstar rep), and limited myself to one or two a week. When the free supply shut off, I haven't had one since. If I need an energy boost, I just have a cup of coffee.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Holy crap, I know they're bad for you, but damn! I only drank them in college (guy in my project group was a Rockstar rep), and limited myself to one or two a week. When the free supply shut off, I haven't had one since. If I need an energy boost, I just have a cup of coffee.
    The long term effects of consuming Vit B, Ginseng,caffeine,etc in such large quantities has not been extensively researched.

In the least, long term continuous use can lead to tremors & palpitations.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I do know pure caffeine is deadly. There was an interesting documentary about coffee, and they showed how decaf was made. The byproduct is concentrated caffeine in this waxy paste. Just a spoonfull of that stuff was deadly.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Made it through about 3 minutes of the film. Been there, done that. I closed the tab and went back to Carly Rae Jepsen...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hey, I just watched this
    like 4 months ago maybe,
    the same thing repeated,
    yea, Ken Block's lazy.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I'm actually thankful it is a Fiesta. Ford can have all the flat brim hat wearing, energy drink drinking types.
    Hahahahaha!

I do like this video and I don't hate on Block, but if I had a fiesta with 600 hp I think I could burnout and slide all over the place too. It wouldn't be as pretty. I'm Just saying...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123