Friend bought an S2000 - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Friend bought an S2000 within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Soobvirgin My friend bought his Type R new in 2002(?) and I don't remember it ever having ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    My friend bought his Type R new in 2002(?) and I don't remember it ever having zero power at low revs. It accelerated well all the way up to about 5500rpm, then went nuts. This is my first turbo car, so I have little frame of reference, but below 2500rpm, my WRX has massive turbo lag. Several times I've put my foot flat to the floor expecting it to go and have been left waiting. I understand every car needs to be in the power band, but I've never experienced a car that just doesn't pull at all when not in it. Perhaps a tune would change this, but with a 7yr/70k mile warranty, I think I'd be silly to risk it. Perhaps a turbo'd car just isn't for me.
    you have never driven an EJ205 WRX I take it?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friend bought his Type R new in 2002(?) and I don't remember it ever having zero power at low revs. It accelerated well all the way up to about 5500rpm, then went nuts. This is my first turbo car, so I have little frame of reference, but below 2500rpm, my WRX has massive turbo lag. Several times I've put my foot flat to the floor expecting it to go and have been left waiting. I understand every car needs to be in the power band, but I've never experienced a car that just doesn't pull at all when not in it. Perhaps a tune would change this, but with a 7yr/70k mile warranty, I think I'd be silly to risk it. Perhaps a turbo'd car just isn't for me.
    Never been in one of those type Rs. Just comparing the WRX to my RSX, there is much more torque down low and much earlier on. When I had the Acura flashed it helped smooth out the delivery, but the Subaru still wins out in the low end. Before the flash, the RSX was like a nominally quick economy 4 banger until the high rpm cam profile kicked almost at 6k rpms. The flash brought that point down a bit and helped add a little torque, but still was no comparison to the WRX, turbo lag and all.

Oh well, every engine is different. The trick is to learn your engine's strengths and utilize them. I just personally find the WRX to be much more usable in daily life.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    you have never driven an EJ205 WRX I take it?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I just personally find the WRX to be much more usable in daily life.
    That's interesting. I was thinking the opposite! The other thing is where the acceleration seems to stop - shortly after 5k rpm. After that it just makes more noise, but the turbo whoooosh seems to be all done. But if you change up at that point, you're no longer in the power band for the next gear. The power delivery seems much more suited to track driving where you can always be in the right gear. It seems less practical for daily driving. Just an odd power delivery, IMO. I sure hope I warm to this car because I was planning on keeping it for 5 years

I Support ClubWRX
    You bought your WRX expecting lots of power available below 2500rpms? I'm thinking a larger displacement engine (a V8) would have been a more natural choice, given that kind of powerband preference.

The EJ205 was referenced, (stock 2.0 in the 2002-2005 WRX's), because they had somewhat less torque at low revs than your 2.5.

I think turbo-4bangers really throw people who are a little new to manual shifting, or who have been in V8s in the past. Outside of that, you find your engine's powerband and figure out how to live there. Easy peasy.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The EJ205 was referenced, (stock 2.0 in the 2002-2005 WRX's), because they had somewhat less torque at low revs than your 2.5.
    Somewhat? How about 25% less? (makes sense since the 2.0L has 25% less displacement)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    A diesel WRX would solve the low rpm low power question. It's not to be though I don't think. Base model maybe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A diesel WRX would solve the low rpm low power question. It's not to be though I don't think. Base model maybe.
    Rick (rogan) would take it and give it like 1200 lb-ft of torque
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    The hardest part of driving a miata or s2k is telling your parents that you're gay.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You bought your WRX expecting lots of power available below 2500rpms? I'm thinking a larger displacement engine (a V8) would have been a more natural choice, given that kind of powerband preference.

I think turbo-4bangers really throw people who are a little new to manual shifting, or who have been in V8s in the past. Outside of that, you find your engine's powerband and figure out how to live there. Easy peasy.
    Oh, no, no. Not "lots" of power - some. I've never owned a V8 or an automatic. I think it was the torque figure that threw me. I didn't realize that was only once the turbo kicked in. I really thought turbo lag died in the '80s. Seems like making it twin turbo or supercharged (as stock) instead would solve the problem.

Correct

That's interesting. I was thinking the opposite! The other thing is where the acceleration seems to stop - shortly after 5k rpm. After that it just makes more noise, but the turbo whoooosh seems to be all done. But if you change up at that point, you're no longer in the power band for the next gear. The power delivery seems much more suited to track driving where you can always be in the right gear. It seems less practical for daily driving. Just an odd power delivery, IMO. I sure hope I warm to this car because I was planning on keeping it for 5 years
    I do agree that the stock tune on my car can be a little quirky with the delivery. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though it can be quirky and have a little lag, the k20 in my acura felt little different from any 4 banger econocar until more like 4500-5000 rpms, and even after the work I did to it the WRX still has more power down low as long as you give it a little blip to avoid bogging. Again, this is just my opinion, and I don't know if those older type Rs had a better powerband.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I think we've officially crossed over onto Subjectivity Island. My car does have "some" power below 2500. More than enough for daily use. If I need more, I rev higher. :shrug:

The thread was actually about the S2K, if you'll recall...You would really hate those.

Oh, no, no. Not "lots" of power - some. I've never owned a V8 or an automatic. I think it was the torque figure that threw me. I didn't realize that was only once the turbo kicked in. I really thought turbo lag died in the '80s. Seems like making it twin turbo or supercharged (as stock) instead would solve the problem.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

And to think I originally wanted an S2k to replace my first STI...

I will have an S2k one of these days, but it will be a weekend/summer ride only to supplement my Subaru.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    The hardest part of driving a miata or s2k is telling your parents that you're gay.
    I take it you've never ridden one? (an S2000, Miata or a Man's CΦk)
    Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Um yeah nice photochop! That would be interesting to have a redline that high in an STI. Even if you modded it and set it that high your engine would probably go kablooey within a half dozen times taking it that high.....
    I hope you're not serious..

v7:

in fact, going back all the way to v5, and all the way up to at least v9 (I believe the ej207's sold in JDM sti's still rev that high), the rev limiter has been at least 8k.

Sure you can't rev a 2.5l that high, but that's why many don't prefer them for builds, or do 2.35l destrokers.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    And what would be so bad about that? I'm not gay, but my brother is. I'm also not a PC nazi, but that is a pretty rude thing to say.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast