2 days til first AutoX - any tips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2 days til first AutoX - any tips? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Title says it all. Are there any insider "secrets" you guys can give me so that I don't come back ...

2 days til first AutoX - any tips?

Title says it all. Are there any insider "secrets" you guys can give me so that I don't come back here on Monday morning and you guys laugh at me for not knowing something simple? You know, things like...
    • Only have enough gas to get through the day to save weight
    • Remove everything possible to reduce weight
    • Remove everything possible so that it doesn't rattle around
    • Best PSI for tires - weather forecast says temps in low 70's
    • Make sure I drive as much as possible above 3,000rpm
    • Don't try to break the tires loose
    • Be comfy with heel-toe
    • Don't launch hard off the line cuz it's not worth it - times will be more dependent on course performance

...you know, things like that.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Walk the course as much as you can.
    Ask questions to veterans that are there.
    Depending on the course, but I never get out of 2nd. And never push in the clutch except for going in the stop box.
    Look ahead, not at what your doing. (easier said than done)

I'm by no means a expert, those are just things that work for me.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Take everything out of your trunk
    Make sure you don't have anything in cabin that flies around (CDs, garage opener)
    Make sure your tires have appropriate amount of air
    When you go around corners and you need to brake, don't use the clutch it will slow you down

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'm still pretty new to autocross but I wouldn't worry too much about the racing itself. You're going to have a blast and love it even if you do terribly. I wasn't even paying attention to my times my first one because I was laughing as I rolled back in! Just do what you can to make the day enjoyable. Get there earlier so you don't feel rushed, prepare what you need/don't need for your car the day before, etc..

Honestly I go pretty hard on the car... because well...its more fun!

Typically run pressure toward the max of the tire. Look on the side wall.

Slow and smooth = fast

Excellent feedback, everybody! Thanx!

I hope to have some YouTube videos up when I'm done, but if anybody has any more suggestions/recommendations, I'm all ears!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

I Support ClubWRX
    Walk the course as much as possible. If you can talk with a more experienced driver during this, do so.

Have an instructor ride along the first few runs.

Have someone film you. Third party perspective can help improve runs. If you can set up in-car too, do it, but I'd worry more about third party.

Shift into second and stay there unless you have to go to third. Focus on driving, not shifting.

Don't worry about other peoples time. Focus on improvement throughout the day.

Sunscreen. Beverages. Folding chair (in case you have time between runs/work)

Have fun.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What about making sure that the cars cools down between runs? Should I run the car as cool as possible after it warms up? Or is this a non-factor?

Oh I forgot to mention, try to beat yourself not others. At least at first.

And most important, have fun. I always have a huge smile on my face after.

Banned
    Do you worry about other cars bumping into a messing up your new car? I would be. I'm guessing there will be other inexperienced auto-xers on the course, most likely driving something that is worth a fraction what your car is.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, I think it would be fun as hell, but I'd be worried sick that my car my get some nasty dents and scrapes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Walk the course as much as possible. If you can talk with a more experienced driver during this, do so.

Have an instructor ride along the first few runs.

Shift into second and stay there unless you have to go to third. Focus on driving, not shifting.

Don't worry about other peoples time. Focus on improvement throughout the day.

Sunscreen. Beverages. Folding chair (in case you have time between runs/work)

Have fun.
    This is great advice.

I don't think it can be said enough, walk the course! Repeatedly. Try to get an experienced driver to walk it with you. Do the novice course walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    Do you worry about other cars bumping into a messing up your new car? I would be. I'm guessing there will be other inexperienced auto-xers on the course, most likely driving something that is worth a fraction what your car is.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, I think it would be fun as hell, but I'd be worried sick that my car my get some nasty dents and scrapes.
    You understand that its not side-by-side racing, right? There is 1 car on the course at a time.
    I've never seen a collision at an Auto-X event. A couple of parking blocks hit by a car that got over-excited & plenty of cones taken out, though.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Ok so what exactly am I expecting to garner from walking the course? Just memorizing the turns and gauging my speed and control? Where to swing wide and prepare for turn entry?

I'm a pretty quick learner and I have a knack for feeling the car and its abilities. Imma be honest here, but due to time restrictions I was planning on probably missing the course walk entirely and taking the first few runs pretty slow. Now, with all of the emphasis on it, I see that's a bad idea.

I Support ClubWRX
    Course walk for at least these three things.
    1. Learn the course. It's real easy to get lost in a sea of cones.
    2. Learn what the cone signals mean. Whats a slalom, whats a turn, how do I know which way to go? extra important on your first time!!
    3. Develop a line strategy. How do you want to attack the course? Where are tricky parts or places that could unsettle the car?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Most events that I have been to, someone will walk up to you since it's your first time, and offer to have an experienced driver sit passenger side and give you some advice on the course.

If this is an option, you will gain more speed from this free advice, then you will from $10,000 in mods to the car.

Found this; a helpful read:

Autocross Fundamentals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast