2 days til first AutoX - any tips? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2 days til first AutoX - any tips? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well here's where I'll be at, if anybody in the area wants to join in! Solo2.Com Forums • View topic ...

Well here's where I'll be at, if anybody in the area wants to join in!

Solo2.Com Forums • View topic - June 9 & 10 AAA "Inside" Practice Reg Open
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright so a few last minute questions left:
    * I'm assuming I want to turn off the traction control... ?
    * I still would like to know if I should open the hood and let the engine cool down a little bit between runs... To let the heat soak dissipate if anything I think...

Everything so far has been solid advice - so thanx again!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Autox courses aren't long enough that your engine is going to heat up any appreciable amount. Since you'll be in high boost for most of the course, don't shut off the car as soon as you finish. Let it idle for a minute after the stop line.

The traction control on my STI doesn't interfere much at all on autox or the track. I sometimes forget to turn it off and don't see that it even triggers.

The best advice is that the way to get the best times is to be smooth and pay attention to your lines. That's really what autox is about is teaching how to drive smoothly. When you walk the course, walk it as if you're in the driver's seat of your car. Then when it's time to actually do your runs, you'll have walked the line you actually drive.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Alright everybody! I have the YouTube playlist up: 2012 WRX First AutoX - YouTube

Overall, my times were hanging with some of the more experienced guys and guys with a lot more money under the hood, but there's a lot I need to improve on:
    • Better camera
    • I need to attack those first and last turns a lot later to come out on the exit better in line
    • I need to attack the slaloms earlier and try to be at the apex before I even pass the cone
    • Brake harder
    • Turn harder
    • I need tires so that I'm not killing my daily driver's tires
    • I need to figure out how to better correct understeer - maybe sway bars, but I'd rather an upgrade in the driver's seat first

The day was a LOT of fun. There were only like 20 cars out there, so we were basically able to just drive as much as we want. Almost no lines at all, and no work requirements. It was awesome.

...I was sad that I was only one of three Subies, though...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The traction control on my STI doesn't interfere much at all on autox or the track. I sometimes forget to turn it off and don't see that it even triggers.
    For what it's worth, the traction control was starting to hold me back on a few turns. Still not confident enough to turn it off though - it definitely saved me a couple times from almost certain spins.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Overall, my times were hanging with some of the more experienced guys and guys with a lot more money under the hood, but there's a lot I need to improve on:
    • Better camera
    • I need to attack those first and last turns a lot later to come out on the exit better in line
    • I need to attack the slaloms earlier and try to be at the apex before I even pass the cone
    • Brake harder
    • Turn harder
    • I need tires so that I'm not killing my daily driver's tires
    • I need to figure out how to better correct understeer - maybe sway bars, but I'd rather an upgrade in the driver's seat first

The day was a LOT of fun. There were only like 20 cars out there, so we were basically able to just drive as much as we want. Almost no lines at all, and no work requirements. It was awesome.
    The fun is what counts =)

I had a ton of trouble with turn in on my car after braking for some reason. I think its just a problem that is natural to our cars.

I have a set of RCE blacks on stock struts along with their sway bars. The car rolls way more than I'd like, but it sticks pretty well, and when it slides it slides very neutrally (could have been kudos to the traction control there). I wouldn't recommend the set up for a track car by any means... but seems to work okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah I forgot to mention the traction control! I noticed a huge difference by experimenting - especially that it was way more fun with it off! Additionally, I felt like I had a lot more control over the car when it was off. I could feel things a lot more and it was a lot easier for me to understand what was happening.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't watch the video now, but did you follow the "get the car in 2nd and leave it there" advice?

Understeer is natural for our cars. A front swaybar will help, as will a better alignment (factory specs aren't performance-oriented); for the alignment, you want to add some camber up the front.

If I remember to watch the video later, I'll comment more...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I can't watch the video now, but did you follow the "get the car in 2nd and leave it there" advice?

Understeer is natural for our cars. A front swaybar will help, as will a better alignment (factory specs aren't performance-oriented); for the alignment, you want to add some camber up the front.

If I remember to watch the video later, I'll comment more...
    I would appreciate that.

And yes, I got the car to 2nd and stayed there the whole time. Thank you for that! Weird though, I must be really really bad at walking the course because after walking it I swore I was going to have to get into 3rd at some points. Granted, I would have topped out in 2nd after the first long left turn (during the approach to the first slalom), but I never shifted into 3rd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12