What do I need for RallyX events?

This is a discussion on What do I need for RallyX events? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Title says it all basically. I've been motorsporting it in the dirt since 4th grade. So naturally, now that my ...

Question What do I need for RallyX events?

Title says it all basically.

I've been motorsporting it in the dirt since 4th grade. So naturally, now that my daily driver 2012 is past the break-in, I want to play with it. Now, as I use this as a daily driver, I haven't flashed a new map and I'm intending to keep the car very stock for the time being. I'm having a hard time finding information into AutoX and RallyX events, so I'm coming to the pros: you guys!!

I understand I'll need a helmet. Duh. But what about the rest? I was thinking about just taking my 100% stock car, tires and all, out to a RallyX event with very low expectations, just to see where my baseline is at. What is required?
    • Tires - do they require dirt tires for RallyX at all?
    • Helmet - any old streetbike helmet ok? I know it may look silly, but what about a MotoX helmet? (I have one of those already)
    • Insurance - is there any waiver I need to sign or extra coverage that I need to obtain?

Anything else I need to know? I was looking at some Solo events and the registration pages for them, and I'm getting the impression that registrants are asked/required to work the event also to keep the costs down?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man. Nothing?

Bueller?

Bueller?

I rely on you guys for my daily entertainment and mental exercise while I'm at work. Now I'm bored again until a meeting starts in a few minutes.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

I Support ClubWRX
    Call ahead, they may have loaner helmets. Find one vomit-free.

All seasons are fine.

Everything else is just like autox, except you'll need someone else's car. Find someone that doesn't care or hasn't thought it through.

Insurance is a legal matter. The venue may or may not have requirements. Either way when you wreck you pay. Your personal car insurance will be generally useless.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Call ahead, they may have loaner helmets. Find one vomit-free.
    good call

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    All seasons are fine.

Everything else is just like autox, except you'll need someone else's car. Find someone that doesn't care or hasn't thought it through.

Insurance is a legal matter. The venue may or may not have requirements. Either way when you wreck you pay. Your personal car insurance will be generally useless.
    Thanx for the info. You say I will need someone else's car. That's fine, but that wasn't the plan... I'm not worried about my driving; I'm more concerned about rock chips, but they're probably unavoidable. And even then, the amount of rock chips is going to be determined by the type of dirt I'm on. Are these things usually pretty rocky or more like hard packed fine dirt?

Granted, you probably can't tell me what it's going to be like at every venue. Unless you're psychic. I'm just talkin.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Title says it all basically.

I've been motorsporting it in the dirt since 4th grade. So naturally, now that my daily driver 2012 is past the break-in, I want to play with it. Now, as I use this as a daily driver, I haven't flashed a new map and I'm intending to keep the car very stock for the time being. I'm having a hard time finding information into AutoX and RallyX events, so I'm coming to the pros: you guys!!

I understand I'll need a helmet. Duh. But what about the rest? I was thinking about just taking my 100% stock car, tires and all, out to a RallyX event with very low expectations, just to see where my baseline is at. What is required?
    • Tires - do they require dirt tires for RallyX at all?
    • Helmet - any old streetbike helmet ok? I know it may look silly, but what about a MotoX helmet? (I have one of those already)
    • Insurance - is there any waiver I need to sign or extra coverage that I need to obtain?

Anything else I need to know? I was looking at some Solo events and the registration pages for them, and I'm getting the impression that registrants are asked/required to work the event also to keep the costs down?
    Usually loaner helmets are there free, or for a small fee. Check the rulebook for what certification they require on the helmets, I don't believe a MX helmet will qualify, but you can check. Usuing open face helmets is less contricting and gives better visibility. Your car has a windshield, you don't need another one. Your normal insurnace is fine. The usual consensus is if you break something on your car, you can try your insurnace (don't expect it to go well, though), but if you break something on the course (like a light post or something), it's out of your pocket. Whatever tires you've got are fine, as long as they aren't bald.

They'll do a quick tech inspection, making sure your wheel lugs are tight, nothing can fly off the car, all everything in your engine bay is tight and secured (battery, etc). Remove all loose crap from the car: sunglasses, spare tire, manuals, junk in the glove box or hatch, everything.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    good call

Thanx for the info. You say I will need someone else's car. That's fine, but that wasn't the plan... I'm not worried about my driving; I'm more concerned about rock chips, but they're probably unavoidable. And even then, the amount of rock chips is going to be determined by the type of dirt I'm on. Are these things usually pretty rocky or more like hard packed fine dirt?
    Depends on the venue as you'd expect but in general rock chips are likely, and sometimes if you have an off you might scrape a bumper (front lips don't seem like a good idea to me).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.