Any good 2.5l wrx turbo's oriented for autocross?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Any good 2.5l wrx turbo's oriented for autocross? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, just dropped my paycheck on tokico d-specs and rce yellows. I'm thinking about a power mod before dropping ...

Any good 2.5l wrx turbo's oriented for autocross?

Hey guys, just dropped my paycheck on tokico d-specs and rce yellows.

I'm thinking about a power mod before dropping my money on a nice set of wheels and r-comps.

It's focused around SM but I only compete locally..

Any suggestions? Budget for the month of june will be around 1000$ with all supporting mods.
    I'm fairly new in autocross and I really like the response I get from the stock turbo but am not sure if the extra power will help me or not.

Current mods:
    Tokico d-specs on rce yellows
    17x8 wheels on 235/45/17 hakook v12
    external wastegate
    td-04
    27mm front sway (recommended by turninconcepts)
    23mm rear sway (recommended by turninconcepts)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are your Auto-X events mostly turns or are their decent straights? You can always do a VFXX + MBC + retune. I think a TMIC/E85/MBC setup would be fun, but the injectors/tune would put you over the budgetof $1000...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You could possibly do Stage 2 setup for 1k
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

The porsche club likes to run wide open courses(figures), but the scca club in my area (the one that matters to me) seem fairly tight with 'maybe' a WOT every 2 or 3 events.

As far as budget goes, I'll have until my buddy and I make a trip down south for our dyno tune around August. Let's say I put away 500$ each month. that gives me 2000$ between now and august minus maybe 500$ for a tune from cobbtuning socal.

but e85 is out of the question for me. I'm here in the middle of nowhere.

Oh.. sorry i'm already stageII with an online tune from clark turner.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I know some people try to shy away from it because they feel its unnecessary but a good set of headers will really help you in the mid-high powerband.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Woah... this. Just finished an event with a couple national level autox'ers. I just ran with my street tire setup 235/45/17 v12's so I did not expect to do well, especially in SM where I am down on power and everyone runs hoosiers

http://www.americanauto-x.com/result...012Round09.pdf

Anyways... I'm stuck between a

td05 16g ported/polished/coated Subaru WRX/STI TD05-16G Turbocharger @ 6starspeed.com

or

td04 18t ported/polished/coated Subaru WRX TD04L-18T Compressor Upgrade

After 2 months of looking around, I'm not sure which of the two I will be happy with.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I'm surprised no has mentioned this yet. Power upgrades are the LAST upgrade for AutoX. And while they're a lit of fun, if you don't have everything else in place, the extra power will actually make you slower around the course.

The first thing you really need to do is learn to drive your car as fast as it'll go in the current configuration. Easy way to see how much you're really wringing out of your car is to have one of the instructors take your car for a lap or two. You should be at least as fast around the track since you know your car. If you're not, don't upgrade until you are as fast.

Even then, your first upgrade should be sticky tires since they'll make the biggest difference to your car.

MightyP is right...I went with a turbo that was a bit bigger than what I wanted. the new turbo actually made me a bit slower. It took me awhile to get used to it and catch back up with my friends. Now that I don't have the td-04 I can't stay in second anymore. I now have the problem of losing some time due to the need of downshifting to first.

it was a Blouch 16gxt 8cm^2.

Here is a comparison. New turbo with Hankook rs3s and back then with the td04 with v12s

Fresno SCCA Subaru WRX 11/19/2011 Run 5 - YouTube <-----
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.