Launch Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Launch Question within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am new to owning a WRX. Just broke my 1k miles and decided to do some beating on ...

Launch Question

So I am new to owning a WRX. Just broke my 1k miles and decided to do some beating on it haha. I decided to try and launch it a few times and came up with some odd results. When I would drop it into 1st gear at around 3k rpm it will first like jump like it wants to go then it will lurch and then take off. Am I doing something wrong? Tips appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My best suggestion is to not launch your brand new car if you want it to last.

However, if you are going to anyway I'd suggest buying a Cobb AP so you can use it's launch control to make things easier.

Launching is key to racing! Lmao I was hoping to at least get 1 or 2 replies before somebody would be douchey ha. I'll be getting an AP and intake soon. But until then....

I Support ClubWRX
    3K isn't a launch. Try in the 5-6K range.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetWRX
    Lmao I was hoping to at least get 1 or 2 replies before somebody would be douchey ha.

Nothing eric said was inappropriate. It was a warning that you can cause damage to the car (which warranty claims would be denied under "abuse").
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Well let's face it. If you do it and think its not bad for your car. Well, your dumb. To put it nicely haha. I was just wondering bc it seemed to me the car shouldn't like lurch the way it does I just expected it to get up and go. Oh and yes my traction control was off.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetWRX View Post
    Well let's face it. If you do it and think its not bad for your car. Well, your dumb. To put it nicely haha. I was just wondering bc it seemed to me the car shouldn't like lurch the way it does I just expected it to get up and go. Oh and yes my traction control was off.
    I was just giving you a heads up since your new. Most people I know that are not very familiar with these cars think you can beat them like a pro rally car just because it's a wrx or sti.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Sound advice. Try to slip the clutch a bit too. Just dropping the clutch isn't a great idea. Making the clutch take the abuse is better since it is a cheaper part to replace than a tranny.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    You experienced the lurch because the power really doesn't come on until around 3200-3500, so if you want to launch it you need to be well above that when you slip the clutch (5-6k is a good suggestion), as the revs will drop as it engages.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I was just giving you a heads up since your new. Most people I know that are not very familiar with these cars think you can beat them like a pro rally car just because it's a wrx or sti.
    True Statement.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Nothing eric said was inappropriate. It was a warning that you can cause damage to the car (which warranty claims would be denied under "abuse").
    This x10

You're going to brake something.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Odd, I have been launching after every stoplight and I'm yet to "brake" anything.

Let me put this in perspective.

It was merely a question for the once a month IF THAT I would decide to launch my car. The kicker to the whole thing is if something does happen to break. I have the money to fix it, I just wanted to know the proper way to do it with my car. I am completely aware that it is not good for the car so thaaaaank you everybody for your concer

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetWRX View Post
    Odd, I have been launching after every stoplight and I'm yet to "brake" anything.
    The word is "Break." If you're driving like I think you're driving... you're undoubtedly "braking" very little. Furthermore, why are you launching at every stoplight? This is absolute insanity. Not only are you endangering yourself, you're endangering those around you.

Seriously, what is with these new owners?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    You experienced the lurch because the power really doesn't come on until around 3200-3500, so if you want to launch it you need to be well above that when you slip the clutch (5-6k is a good suggestion), as the revs will drop as it engages.
    +1

If you are going to launch, let your clutch take the beating, not your trans.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

This may be slightly irrelevant, but it seems to me people worry too much about the warranty and upgrading parts/tuning, driving hard scenarios. I've managed to get a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and all my injectors replaced under warranty AFTER a CAI and custom tune were done...on top of that...well past the 36K miles (40K+). All you have to do is call Subaru customer service and ask to speak to a supervisor...state your case...and they will USUALLY help you out. They're actually quite accommodating and understanding. That's been my experience anyway. In my case I paid upfront and got a reimbursement...which isn't all bad. For those of you that can't wait until the warranty is up 'to do stuff'...go right ahead (within reason).

Zax I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well over the Internet lmfao. Read the entire thread over again please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.