Renault confirms Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 in 2012

This is a discussion on Renault confirms Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 in 2012 within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Renault has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 racing next year, after securing a two-year deal to ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Renault confirms Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 in 2012

Renault has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 racing next year, after securing a two-year deal to compete with the squad.

Raikkonen, who had left Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season after being dropped by Ferrari, had been in talks with the Williams team about a possible return next year, but the deal fell through.

That promted speculation of a Renault tie-up, with team principal Eric Boullier confirming in Brazil last weekend that the Finn was on the shortlist of candidates for 2012 - when his outfit will be renamed Lotus.

Speaking about his return, Raikkonen said: "I'm delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I'm grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can't deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming.

"It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team's ambition. Now I'm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid."

Team owner Gerard Lopez added: "All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we've been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level.

"Kimi's decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1."

Raikkonen, 32, moved from Formula 1 to the World Rally Championship in 2010, where he spent the last two seasons while also competing in one race of the NASCAR Truck series and one Nationwide event.

The Finn won the Formula 1 world championship in 2007 with Ferrari, having scored a total of 18 wins since he made his grand prix debut in 2001.

Renault was forced to search for another driver after Robert Kubica confirmed last week that he would not be ready to start the 2012 season following his dramatic accident in February.

click:autosport.com/news/id/96573
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Awesome! He was my favorite driver before he left in 2009. If anyone can bring Lotus to the front of the grid, he can.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes,yes,yes!!!!

I have been a fan of his since his days at McLaren.

I can't wait to hear from him in his interviews again.

NSFW***

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately with the Lotus team no matter how good he is, he'll be relegated to the back of the field. They just couldn't seem to get a car that was even able to stay on the lead lap for most of the races this year.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    I would like to say if it wasnt for Kubica's misfortune , i would say kimi would be still in WRC for 2013 !
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like no more snow shoveling for Kimi, lol. He had a tough time in WRC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    I would like to say if it wasnt for Kubica's misfortune , i would say kimi would be still in WRC for 2013 !
    Ironically,the common denominator in both cases is rallying.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.