Sno*Drift 2012! You goin'? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sno*Drift 2012! You goin'? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Also went to the night stage #8. The spectator area was over a "right 4 into very long right 5" ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Also went to the night stage #8. The spectator area was over a "right 4 into very long right 5" again following a long flat section. Most people done it pretty fast, with one notable oversteer by a Focus.
    Last edited by Igor103; 01-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Higgins in Charge After Sno*Drift Day One

After Day One at the Sno*Drift Rally, 2011 American Rally Champions David Higgins and his co-driver Craig Drew of Subaru Rally Team USA have a comfortable lead over 2011 Canadian Rally Champion Antoine L'Estage and co-driver Nathalie Richard in their brand new Rockstar Energy Drink Mitsubishi Evo X.

That's the headline of the rally but the real story is the treacherous conditions of the forest roads near Atlanta and Lewiston, Michigan. The crews said the roads changed from gravel to mud to slushy snow to glare ice seemingly without warning.

The road conditions made the critical choice of tires nearly a 'cross-your-fingers-and-wish' for some teams.

"We'd pick up speed in the gravel," said Higgins, "then it was all I could to to keep the car straight on the ice right around the corner." He compared the roads to driving on the historic, mountain top Col du Turini stage at the Rallye Monte-Carlo with racing slicks.

L'Estage said he spun twice in the opening stage allowing Higgins to open a gap of 1:47.3 after five stages. That shrank to 1:34.2 Friday night when the crews returned to Atlanta for the overnight halt.

There were 12 special stages on Friday. There will be another 12 stages starting Saturday morning.

Third in the rally is popular Canadian driver CrazyLeo Urlichich and his co-driver Carl Williamson, a veteran co-driver who's run in more than 700 events around the world. CrazyLeo calls his 2007 Subaru Impreza 'The Beast'.

Urlichich finished second overall in the 2011 Canadian championship but he's 3:26.7 behind Higgins at the end of Friday's stages. This is his first American rally.

read more: worldrallysport.com/node/9160

Rally America/Sno*Drift: rally-america.com/events/2012/SNODRIFT/stages/

Rally America Live Feed: rally-america.com/live/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 01-28-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, its cool like that.

The wind chill on the superspecial was bad, knowing a Marshall helped a lot - we could roll up right to the yellow stripe.

Moro wanted to show off and got stuck for good 5 min... right before the time Marshall.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru Rally Team USA's David Higgins and Craig Drew win the 2012 Sno*Drift Rally
    and draw first blood in the battle for points against Championship rival Antoine L'Estage.

Their victory on the season opener did not come easily as icy road conditions in Atlanta, Michigan made traction inconsistent. Higgins, the defending American champion, took control of the rally from the outset winning the opening five stages and creating a buffer of nearly 2 minutes between himself and L'Estage by the end of Day One.

An incorrect tire choice by Higgins allowed L'Estage and co-driver Nathalie Richard to reduce the deficit by more than half on Day Two's morning stages, but their efforts were not enough to challenge the Manxman.

L'Estage tried to claw back even more time on the rally's remaining seven stages, but Higgins answered to win all four stages in Saturday’s second loop. Higgins finished the event with a lead of 1 minute and 48.9 seconds over the Canadian champion.

Canadian CrazyLeo Urlichich and Welshman Carl Williamson placed third overall, 7 minutes and 24.3 seconds behind L'Estage.

The next round of the six-event Series is the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood in Salem, Missouri this February 24-25.

click: worldrallysport.com/content/higgins-wins-snodrift-rally

Standings after SS24: rally-america.com/events/2012/SNODRIFT/results/standings/24/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Urlichich did finish third overall in the standings, but the car failed post rally inspection and was penalized three positions to finish sixth overall.
    Basically, at the end of the day someone pointed out to stewards that Beast's catalytic converter was left hanging in the service tent.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^Doh !! what a shame
    "All We'll Drive"

This is the second Sno*Drift I've been to, and I think this year put the nail in the proverbial coffin; this is now the annual "guys trip". Pictures and video don't do the experience justice. From the jackasses on the icy back roads in their 2WD Intrepids, to the drunk banter back & forth from "inside corner" to "outside corner", you just have to be there to take it all in. I'm hoping to go to the rally in PA this June 1&2.

I'll post some photos tonight, and a video later.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    Ok, trying to warm up after watching stage 1. The spectator area was at a "3 right" turn following a long "200 flat" downhill...over ice. So almost everyone went off, some spun, some spun and stalled. And it wasn't better with the FWDs who were crawling.

At least 60% of the spectator cars here are Scoobs.
    That first turn was the iciest I've ever seen it. Nearly every car either slid into the embankment, or spun around a time or two. There were only a few that actually managed to make the turn without hitting anything. (Of course D. Higgins was on that list)

BTW, Igor, I did see your car parked on the road, but had nothing with me to leave you a note.

Basically, at the end of the day someone pointed out to stewards that Beast's catalytic converter was left hanging in the service tent.
    Doh!
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    BTW, Igor, I did see your car parked on the road, but had nothing with me to leave you a note.
    I've seen your car at SS13.

And are you talking about "inside corner" on SS08?

I'll post pix tomorrow.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I've seen your car at SS13.

And are you talking about "inside corner" on SS08?
    For sure! I was in the "outside corner"... Funny ****.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    For sure! I was in the "outside corner"... Funny ****.
    Are you by any chance the "crazy laser" guy?
    That thing blinded the "vuvuzela dudes" from our side
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Here's Crazy Leo's official statement about the penalty.

"Official statement about the penalty at the 2012 Snow Drift Rally.

After post rally technical inspection, the catalytic converter was found to be not in full compliance with the regulations. The catalytic converter was new prior to the start of the rally, but it appears that the substrate was all blown out. We suspect this was a result of a backfiring issue caused by an ignition coil failure.

We have lodged a protest against the decision and we are sure that Rally America will arrive at a fair decision based on the information we have given them."

Are you by any chance the "crazy laser" guy?
    That thing blinded the "vuvuzela dudes" from our side
    Actually no. He was pretty close to me though. That was the first "blue" laser I've ever seen in person. Was pretty wicked.

Alas, no pictures this morning. I may have some tonight.
    My Photostream
    about.me

For now, here's all the pics, unedited. I'll post individuals later.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11324...CN_W0K7RwoHxUQ
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    I was doing video mostly, but here are some pix
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for sharing.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast