Taking my STI to the track
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Taking my STI to the track within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The Porsche Club of America (PCA) is renting out High Plains raceway the weekend of Oct 15/16, and I decided ...

Taking my STI to the track

The Porsche Club of America (PCA) is renting out High Plains raceway the weekend of Oct 15/16, and I decided to take the STI instead of my Porsche. I had the tech inspection done today and with 9500 miles on the car, the front brake pads are already badly worn.

I know I drive my cars pretty hard, but the pads had just enough left on them that the inspection place barely passed me.

Right behind me in line was a 2008 GT2 that the guy tracks a lot, and next in line was a GT3.

The really funny part? The guy with the GT2 was probably 55 or so, and guess what else he drives? A tuned 2004 STi with a 20g, 850 injectors, Walbro fuel pump, and custom tune. He said he only has a CBE on it, which I thought was pretty strange. The guy with the GT3 is currently looking to buy an STI. There were about 15 guys just hanging around the shop talking cars, and there were a few more of them that owned STIs too. They were mostly around 45-55 years old and had them tuned to varying degrees.

I've also been searching for months for my extra key/keyless entry fob. They were looking under the hood and guess what? The extra keys were stuck between the intake pipe and a plastic trim piece on the front grill. Who knows how long they were there for? I'm amazed they never fell out on the road somewhere!

My STI will be at stage 1 by then so I can really have some fun with it!!! I was thinking of bringing my Porsche too. Anybody want to come along? I'm allowed to bring a guest, but it'll cost you $125. For that price you get to drive on the track for 2-3 sessions during the day. They divide up the cars/drivers by experience into 5 groups.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Sound like a lot of fun. It's also nice to see diversity in the WRX/STI owners. Rotate the Subaru powertrain 180 degrees and you end up with a Porsche powertrain lol (well not totally, but you understand what I'm talking about).
    Last edited by KHP; 10-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Stock pads? I went though over 1/2 my stock sti pads in one track day; maybe that's why they said you had just enough to pass their tech?

I Support ClubWRX
    Have fun, Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    Anybody want to come along? I'm allowed to bring a guest, but it'll cost you $125. For that price you get to drive on the track for 2-3 sessions during the day. They divide up the cars/drivers by experience into 5 groups.
    If I was in CO, I'd totally take you up on that. $125 for a track day is a steal...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The really funny part? The guy with the GT2 was probably 55 or so, and guess what else he drives? A tuned 2004 STi . . . The guy with the GT3 is currently looking to buy an STI.
    Doesn't surprise me at all. A 911 and an STi both scratch the same itch in their own way. I think they complement one another quite well.
    Ten cylinders of Boxer Engine goodness :: '07 911 GT3 RS | '12 WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.