Mentor needed

This is a discussion on Mentor needed within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So every little boys dream is to be a race car driver and 99% of the time it doesnt happen. ...

Registered User yeaitsgotaturbo's Avatar

Thumbs up Mentor needed

So every little boys dream is to be a race car driver and 99% of the time it doesnt happen. But I really am willing to put in the effort and do what ever it takes to have some part in rally/Auto-x. What i'm asking you guys is how would i go about doing this? I need an exact list of things i would have to do to get into the motor sports world. Im not talking just racing on weekends. I honestly want to pursue this as a career. What would i have to do education wise? If anyone has anything that could be helpful in me pursuing this (connections, expierience, etc.) it would be greatly appreciated. And im not trying to come off as some teenage racer who thinks he can drive. I just would really like to be able to do something i love for the rest of my life. And am willing to put in the effort.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You have to start somewhere...

Start with weekends. Win your local SCCA section. Move on to regionals, win regionals. Move on to nationals, win nationals.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You have to start somewhere...

Start with weekends. Win your local SCCA section. Move on to regionals, win regionals. Move on to nationals, win nationals.
    Basically this. You have to prove yourself before you can get sponsored and/or hired. Typically this requires quite a lot of money invested on your part in order to get your car in as good a condition as you can, then you need to build up your driving skills and race in whatever competitions you can.

Becoming a race car driver isn't something you just do unless you have a whole lot of money to make your own race team. It takes years and years of working hard and getting noticed.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 09-29-2011 at 04:39 AM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Step one is to start with some type of entry level racing. Forget autocross. It's fun for a weekend hobbyist, but almost never leads to any type of professional racing. No offense guys, but from a racers standpoint autocross is always looked at as "Parking Lot races with your commuter".

You need to figure out what type of racing gets your blood pumping. Do you like circle track? If you do, do you prefer dirt or asphalt? Do you like road courses? Once you figure out what type of racing you like, start attending races and pay the extra money to get into the pits. Figure out which type of entry level cars you want to try your hand at. Some tracks offer what they call a "Green Flag Driving Experience" where you can pay to take some controlled laps in certain cars.

If you like circle track, Street stocks are a great start and won't break the bank. If you like road courses, shifter karts are also a great start. Getting yourself started with a car, trailer and safety equipment can usually be done for $10,000 to $20,000.

Learn the car/kart, it's workings, and read and talk to fellow racers about learning setup. Once you get some seat time, you will quickly learn if you have a talent for it. Some do, some don't. There is only one way to find out. If you do have a talent for it, you will be noticed and may start to get sponsored.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Fair enough, come to think of it, I hear more drivers these days talk about their Karting days in interviews than anything.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I know 2 professional racers. One a Sprint Cup NASCAR driver, and the other a "world of outlaws" late model dirt driver. I'm pretty sure both started by karting.

Plus... we have a kart track fairly close by Let me know if you want to go sometime.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I know 2 professional racers. One a Sprint Cup NASCAR driver, and the other a "world of outlaws" late model dirt driver. I'm pretty sure both started by karting.

Plus... we have a kart track fairly close by Let me know if you want to go sometime.
    Where abouts is the kart track? I'm pretty sure there used to an indoor one off of I-70 but I can never find it these days.

I Support ClubWRX
    Going to schools wont hurt either

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Registered User yeaitsgotaturbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Going to schools wont hurt either
    what kind of schools?

I Support ClubWRX
    Driving schools. Check out the ads in the back of club publications, grassroots motorsports stuff, etc. for race schools. Bring money, they like it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Monster View Post
    Where abouts is the kart track? I'm pretty sure there used to an indoor one off of I-70 but I can never find it these days.
    There are two I know of... Unser, and "the track"
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!