NEED HELP, autoX suspension for 05 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NEED HELP, autoX suspension for 05 WRX within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a great 05 wrx with 90,000 on the od, the engine is being rebuilt just to be safe ...

Angry NEED HELP, autoX suspension for 05 WRX

I have a great 05 wrx with 90,000 on the od, the engine is being rebuilt just to be safe and i am adding a 12lb flywheel and organic sti spt clutch all done at subaru dealer. I have a list of mods on the car perrin short throw, dcsport up-pipe, megan down-pipe, m2 3" oval high flow exhaust, front an rear agency power end links, whiteline sub frame bolts, 25mm frnt sway, 24mm rear sway, cobb tune, front rear strut braces, spec c trunk 13lbs lighter, hks filter cold air intake, machV springs, NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS, and soon coilovers.

SO what kind of stuts shocks or coilovers should I get to be a little more nimble out on the track, I am not to concerned with the ride. My budget is around a grand or less please let me know.

I can drive as fast as the car will let me, now its time to improve.
    Last edited by 05autoxwanab; 10-31-2011 at 10:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are not concerned with the ride, I would suggest BC or ISC coilovers. I use spring rates of 8k front, 6k rear with good success. A lot of people will suggest Speedtech coils but I wouldn't buy a set that had no adjustability since I use them to dial in a lot of oversteer during events versus my street settings.

If you go with springs/struts, I'd suggest RCE springs, Tokico D-spec sruts, and PDE or Com C camber plates.

With all that said, what tires are you running? That will make just as much or more difference as new struts.

Quote Originally Posted by 05autoxwanab View Post
    I have a great 05 wrx with 90,000 on the od, the engine is being rebuilt just to be safe and i am adding a 12lb flywheel and organic sti spt clutch all done at subaru dealer. I have a list of mods on the car perrin short throw, dcsport up-pipe, megan down-pipe, m2 3" oval high flow exhaust, front an rear agency power end links, whiteline sub frame bolts, 25-28mm frnt sway, 25-30mm rear sway, cobb tune, front rear strut braces, spec c trunk 13lbs lighter, hks filter cold air intake, machV springs, NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS, and soon coilovers.

SO what kind of stuts shocks or coilovers should I get to be a little more nimble out on the track, I am not to concerned with the ride. My budget is around a grand or less please let me know.

I can drive as fast as the car will let me, now its time to improve.
    IMO, you may have too much sway bar. For struts/coilovers I recommend KW V3's or Bilstein's for your setup. And don't forget the alignment!
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

^ That is a lot of bar for coils but if he stayed with a strut/spring combo, it should be fairly well sorted.

If you know where to get KW Variant 3s for "about a grand or less", let me know

So long time to get back but here is whats on now. I ended up with BC BR coilovers and have been super impressed for cheap CO and also to go with the suspension I got 17x8 mb weapons with 235-45 Nitto invo's which makes for a hell fun autox car I float around and can go from straight line to side ways with a little flick action. I improved over all around 5 to 6 seconds in a 40-50 sec run. Now I need around 30-40 more ponies and I will be dangerous , also the sway bars have corrected understeer.

I wouldn't have spent that little money on coilovers, but I'm glad you're happy with them. You would've done much better with a spring/strut combo. It would've given better performance and lasted a lot longer. $1000 coilovers are really just junk and I doubt you'll get a long life from them if you're doing autox on them.

I don't understand what you mean when you say your sways are "25-28mm frnt sway, 25-30mm rear sway." The sway is one size. What sway bars are you running on the car?

What made you choose the Nitto Invo tire? In general they're ranked very low in all of the tests I've seen run, especially when you're talking about autox type driving where you're cornering hard. By reputation they have a very soft sidewall.

Maybe you'd be running 10 seconds quicker with the right setup and the types of parts and parts combos people recommended. But honestly it seems like you didn't really listen to any advice that was posted, so I'm not sure why you're here.

What's your plan to add those 30-40 ponies? And what class autox are you running with all of those mods, and where are you placing versus the other cars in your class?

I also noticed you've done a standard rookie thing of upgrading everything other than your brakes. You should be looking there before you spend any more money elsewhere. But I'm sure you'll ignore this advice too just like everything else everybody posted...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

yo guy to aggressive, and the bc coilovers are quite nice and the sway bars are adjustable if that helps its just soft to hard like a bigger bar but two or three mount holes on the bars to go soft to hard they are a perrin 25 frnt and whiteline 24 rear agency pwr end links and I got brake kit long ago frnt DBA rotters and hawk pads and I got the rear kit from oakos its the Race Brake H6 big brake kit their pads. SO the Nitto invo's were a good deal and they have a great ride for the performance, also I am not a professional and like the idea of trying the less desired route. my comp is an 07 with the same mods with enkei rpms 17x8 with star specs and a 2.5liter and he is a good driver and he is one second away and I am still fresh to the autocross layouts. my budget restricts my purchases. sorry I was really wanting TIC low budget suspension but to much. I also find 40-42lbs in the frnt and 40-42lbs in the rear on the invo's works well

I Support ClubWRX
    those star specs are a huge advantage to him. They're definitely some of the best autoX tires.

Good luck on the AutoX. Are you competing right now? Our AutoX is winding down
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

We have three more events and yes the star specs are the chit but the invo's are fine I don't get the bad name for a 235-45 17 for 100bucks a pop good enough. I will run better tires next year maybe, what is a good tire for street and autox? how do I get the pic on my name?

I Support ClubWRX
    in the avatar section of "settings"
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I'm glad you are happy with the setup.

Yeah, between the extra torque of the 2.5 and the star specs, he has you on hardware. I run against a guy with a 2.0L though and he waxes me sometimes. Just get a lot of seat time in and you will get faster.

As far as a good tire, I run on RE-11s. A lot of people rave about Star Specs. I've also heard very good things about the Hankook RS3s. I have always wanted to try a set of Kumho XSs but you will hear a lot people say that they are poor wet weather tires.

So I want to add some power and plan on the evo16g turbo, walboro pump, and injectors but thats where I am stuck with brands and price of the good versus reliabilty of cheap stuff so whats the advice. I live three hours from COBB PlanoTX so thats where I will have it tuned. Is this a engine pull job or can I even put it on and drive 3 hour to cobb for tune? should they do it and yes I want them 2 but wow on tag. I need an V2 accessport I fried my V1 with PC cord. OOOOPPPSS

So I won 2 of the last 3 events in my class and put down the fastest time in my class at all 3 by a full sec or more with stiff comp, a lotus elise, porsche boxter s, loads of honda's, toyota'a, mazdas, an evo,etc you name it. the add on's made a huge difference over the stock car. I also have discovered my turbo is gobbling oil and thats bad but goood because its do a new turbo and a few more ponies. I notices a huge loose in power.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.