First Time Autocrossing

This is a discussion on First Time Autocrossing within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I went to an SCCA-sponsored autoX school in my area a few weekends ago. I think I did pretty well. ...

I Support ClubWRX

First Time Autocrossing

I went to an SCCA-sponsored autoX school in my area a few weekends ago. I think I did pretty well. I dropped 10 seconds off my original time, and kept up fairly well with the Miata times (the course was pretty open, and everyone was new). My bugeye is stock except for a Stage 1 tune, so it did understeer like a pig, but my instructor (who races an 03 wagon) did a great job explaining how to prevent that as much as possible. Later, I drove his Stage II car with STI pinks, KYB struts, and 25mm sway bars. It was incredible what a difference those made (biggest difference was his tires, I'm sure).

Anyway, I threw together a couple clips from my ContourHD.

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Twin Scroll = Expensive dynomight's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice driving there mate and that sure is a dandy camera that you have. Looks fun, I can't wait to try auto crossing myself one day.
    I dont understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do? -Jeremy Clarkson- Top Gear

I Support ClubWRX
    That is a nice camera setup, congrats.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Nice driving man. I do like the camera set up and I can not wait till I go and do that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, Contour makes a great camera, but the wind noise really got to me. I just finished hacking an external mic jack into it, so now I can put the mic wherever I want it (like near the exhaust or something). Initial trials are lookin' (sounding) good!

It was a great day. I have to give Subaru a lot of credit, the bugeye is a very well-sorted little car. Tightening down the nut behind the wheel unlocked a lot of hidden potential without doing anything to the car itself. The driving instruction helped me find the limits of what the car can do in a controlled and safe environment. I wanted the thrill of racing, but more importantly, the techniques they showed me (shuffling your hands in turns, physics of under/oversteer, braking tactics) have actually made me a better driver on the street, and I will feel much more confident with the car should an emergency situation require snap reflexes while on the street. (Not talking about street racing)

Autocross school is something I'd recommend to anyone. It was cheap ($60), a ton of fun, lets you hoon the car safely, and IMO makes you a better driver.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

It is a nice camera setup and very superb drive and i liked it and it was very attractive and also a master piece work. Good work man..
    Tony Blare

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yeah, Contour makes a great camera, but the wind noise really got to me. I just finished hacking an external mic jack into it, so now I can put the mic wherever I want it (like near the exhaust or something). Initial trials are lookin' (sounding) good!

It was a great day. I have to give Subaru a lot of credit, the bugeye is a very well-sorted little car. Tightening down the nut behind the wheel unlocked a lot of hidden potential without doing anything to the car itself. The driving instruction helped me find the limits of what the car can do in a controlled and safe environment. I wanted the thrill of racing, but more importantly, the techniques they showed me (shuffling your hands in turns, physics of under/oversteer, braking tactics) have actually made me a better driver on the street, and I will feel much more confident with the car should an emergency situation require snap reflexes while on the street. (Not talking about street racing)

Autocross school is something I'd recommend to anyone. It was cheap ($60), a ton of fun, lets you hoon the car safely, and IMO makes you a better driver.
    The driver mod is the most effective one.

Auto-X is tons of fun.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums