Volkswagen confirms WRC move

This is a discussion on Volkswagen confirms WRC move within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Volkswagen has ended months of speculation by confirming its participation in the World Rally Championship at a press conference in ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Volkswagen confirms WRC move

Volkswagen has ended months of speculation by confirming its participation in the World Rally Championship at a press conference in Sardinia this afternoon.

As expected, Volkswagen will base its first ever World Rally Car on the Polo, with the car competing for the first time in 2013. The car was revealed at a packed harbourside launch in Olbia.

Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg (member of the board of management of Volkswagen brand) said: "In the past, we celebrated our sporting success in the desert, in 2009 first manufacturer to win [Dakar]with diesel engine.

"But to the future, we have invited you to entry into the World Rally Championship in 2013. The Polo WRC will compete for the first time in 2013 and we look forward to competing again WRC competitors Citroen, Mini and Ford."

There was no news on drivers at the launch.

Hackenberg continued: "There is almost 20 months between now and our first competition and we will find the drivers who can be in contention for first place.

"Now we must prepare for the task ahead. There is a lot to be done. We look forward to racing on four continents."

Click: autosport.com/news/91126

---------------------

VW MotorSport more :

volkswagen-motorsport.com/news/=4426

Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Great news.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/81544.png
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    from WRC.com

"Volkswagen will enter the World Rally Championship from 2013 with its Polo R WRC.

The announcement was made in Olbia, Sardinia this afternoon ahead of round five of the world championship getting underway on the Italian island tomorrow (Friday).

Volkswagen has a long association with rallying dating back to the 1980s and claimed a famous victory on the Ivory Coast Rally with Kenneth Eriksson in 1987. More recently, however, it has concentrated on off-road events, such as the Dakar Rally cross-country enduro.

The company’s initial commitment is for five years with initial testing planned during 2011. To get the team up to speed with the rigours of competing in the WRC, Volkswagen will field a pair of Skoda Fabia Super 2000s on rallies in 2012 before the planned competition debut of its Polo R WRC in 2013. It has made a commitment until the end of the 2015 season although this could be extended."

Read More: wrc.com/news/volkswagen-commits-to-wrc-future/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Dang, i was hoping they would pick the new Scirocco for the WRC Car.

Still no word on Carlos Sainz being a team principal?
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    This is great news!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Rally Phaeton FTW!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Rally Phaeton FTW!
    wouldnt be bad, but new era wrc cars have to be quite tiny, like fiesta and ds3
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    The biggest VAG in the WRC was probably the 200 Quattro, which barely fit the circumstances.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    seriously isnt this one better looking than Polo?

2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the Polo tail better.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    seriously isnt this one better looking than Polo?

sure they are even nicer in person too , but that was like a natural gas one they built and was the course car for last yrs ADAC WRC Germany

-------------
    Volkswagen’s Scirocco R has made it’s WRC debut in Germany where it was driven by Carlos Sainz and Nasser Al-Attiyah. The VW Cup Scirocco R is a heavily modified Scirocco which runs on pure bio natural gas.

According to Kris Nissen, Volkswagen’s Motorsport Director, “The Scirocco R performed well as the course-opening car during the Germany Rally. It enabled Carlos Sainz and Nasser Al-Attiyah to demonstrate how much Volkswagen stands for technical innovations in circuit racing. The audience was thrilled, too, to see a two-time World Rally Champion – Carlos Sainz – again. All in all, it was a successful promotion of both the Scirocco R-Cup and eco-conscious bio natural gas power.”

There’s no word on where VW finished in the event.

Power comes from a compressed natural gas turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine with 162kW of power and 275Nm of torque.

Read: clutchd.com/2010/08/volkswagens-scirocco-r-makes-its-wrc-debut-in-germany

"All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    There’s no word on where VW finished in the event.
    well since they were a "S" safety car, they weren't actually in the competition, plus Sainz stalled in one narrow hairpin which was quite surprising, coming from one of the best wrc drivers.

(in wrc and most rallys you have 3 safety cars pass before the competition cars start going at full speed, usually XXX (or 000), then XX (00) then X (0), and then teh fun starts.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103