Volkswagen set to announce 2012 WRC entry
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Volkswagen set to announce 2012 WRC entry within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Volkswagen will announce its intention to compete in next year's World Rally Championship later this month, and is expected to ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Volkswagen set to announce 2012 WRC entry

Volkswagen will announce its intention to compete in next year's World Rally Championship later this month, and is expected to bring one of the motorsport's biggest budgets to the competition.

That's according to Autosport magazine, which revealed this week that the manufacturer will follow up its success in the Dakar rally with a big money investment in WRC.

The manufacturer is expected to confirm its new objective at this year's Rally Portugal, although it's unclear which drivers the team has lined up to fill the new seats.

Even the choice of car is open for speculation. Early rumours suggested the Scirocco would form the basis of the new WRC car, but it's now believed the Polo will get the rally treatment.

Volkswagen's involvement in a future rally campaign had been tipped since the regulations were altered to make 1.6-litre turbocharged engines the stipulated powerplants.

If the rumours prove true, the company will join Ford, Citroen and BMW (via Mini) as the works teams for what promises to be an exciting 2012 season.

Read: uk.autoblog.com/2011/03/10/volkswagen

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Excellent news,now if some of the japanese companies would stepup we'd have something.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Great news,the more ,the merrier.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    and from Autoblog:

Volkswagen announced earlier this year that it would be entering the World Rally Championship starting in 2013 with the Polo R, and we got our first glimpse of the race car here in Frankfurt. While it's easy to see the similarities to the road version, the Polo R WRC has been transformed into an all-out rally car with widened fenders, a fully stripped and caged interior, and plenty of carbon fiber on the body. Under the hood is a race-prepped version of Volkswagen's 1.6-liter STI engine producing something in the range of 300 horsepower. 300 HP! This is a Polo, people.

Volkswagen is no stranger to rally racing, having won the 1986 Group A championship with a Golf GTI 16V and more recently finding success in the Australian and Finnish Rally Car Championships. VW also hopes to transfer some of the knowledge gained from competing in the Dakar Rally, which it has won the past three years.

We'll have to wait and see if the Polo R WRC finds similar success in motorsports, but with Volkswagen's backing, we wouldn't be surprised to see it on the podium soon enough. That won't be for a few years, though, so in the meantime, check out our photos of the car on display in Frankfurt.

Click: autoblog.com/polo r wrc

Click Gallery: autoblog.com/polo r wrc gallery

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Dang.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    VIDEO: Carlos Sainz Tests VW Polo R WRC [HD]

---------------------------

EXCLUSIVE: Carlos Sainz Q&A

Spanish legend Carlos Sainz was handed the honour of testing Volkswagen's new Polo R World Rally Car for the first time in Germany earlier this week. The two-time world champion spoke exclusively to Wrc.com.

You must have felt honoured to get the first drive of Volkswagen’s new World Rally Car?
    “Yes, for sure I was really happy to drive the Polo for the first time, it’s a great honour. Also, you know, I’m really happy for Volkswagen and for the sport in general that finally another new car and another new manufacturer is coming into rally. So it’s a good day, a great day and a happy day.”

Before this test, when did you last drive a World Rally Car?

“Honestly I think it was the Citroen Xsara WRC [Sainz campaigned in 2004]. After that I’ve been doing some driving in Dakar and some circuit racing with the Scirocco in the 24-hour race at the Nurburgring. The most recent rally car I have driven, a few years ago, is the Skoda S2000.”

And how did the Polo R WRC compare?

“Well you need to have in mind that we are at the very beginning of the Polo. This is the first Polo WRC - we call it the zero - so it’s is not 100 per cent what the ‘real’ car is going to be. But for me it was the first time with the 1600cc turbo engine and with the new [world rally car] regulations. In general it felt good. You know with a 1600 engine I was expecting it to be worse than I actually found. I had an idea about the transmission because the Super 2000 car is running basically this system. As a new generation world rally car it felt good. I will say you always want a bit more power and less weight but that’s what every rally driver will say.”

Read More: wrc.com/news/exclusive-carlos-sainz-qa/

"All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Good to see Sainz back in a car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yes! So now my Jetta is somewhat cool...since its a VW....

That is exciting though!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like a lot of fun... Glad Sainz is out of the desert, and back on tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Yes! So now my Jetta is somewhat cool...since its a VW....
    No... It's not. lmao
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.