Shifting my '11 WRX - Need some advice from experienced drivers - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Shifting my '11 WRX - Need some advice from experienced drivers within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I sent an email to Cobb's tech department, I will updated everyone when I get a response......

I sent an email to Cobb's tech department, I will updated everyone when I get a response...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by catinthehat View Post
    I sent an email to Cobb's tech department, I will updated everyone when I get a response...
    Waiting for the good news...

Quote Originally Posted by msharp View Post
    Would this be one of the reasons why the Stage 1 improved shifting? Maybe the stage 1 map removed or minimized the throttle delay after throttle dump?
    Its very possible, I've driven quite a few newer drive by wire cars/trucks that have the same characteristic rev hang after throttle release. The other thing I cant stand about the subaru (one of very few things) is when you clutch and let off the gas in first the ecu keeps the revs up around 1500-2k rpm until you pull the shifter out of gear. ... I KNOW how to drive stick, dont need the extra assistance. When driving along and letting off the throttle to slow down the car will adjust as if I dont know what I'm doing too.. Irritates the hell out of me when the mfr builds the car for people that shouldn't be driving it just to expand market share.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

@mangostick, I couldn't agree more with you. My previous Rx8, although having less horsepower and MUCH less torque, felt much more like a sports car simply because of the throttle response. There are other factors that played role as well of course, such as the steering accuracy and transmission, etc.

our cars have great "go" response.. its when I want to chop the throttle for whatever reason that the ecu thinks IT knows best.. uh.. no.. I dont like drive by wire for that exact reason. Unfortunately just about every car has it now and its not going away. Dunno, like said from what I hear its tamable with a tune... but we'll see. I'll be going stage I here soon anyway but that will be a nice perk along with the extra fuel mileage and power increase.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

You being a new WRX owner i think your problem isn't so much you're shifting wrong its the fact that each time you shift there is going to be some turbo lag. when you shift the turbo has to rebuild the pressure. Thats why when the other guy loaded stage 1 on his car his shifts seem better. Stage one is a slightly more aggresive map and it spools up a tad quicker. Get use to it you have a turbo car there is gona be some lag.

uhmmm ...no ....not trying to be a jerk but thats not even close.

turbo lag has all to do with waiting for power to come back on AFTER throttle dump and shift.. vs the problem we're having where we have to wait for the engine to loose built up rpm so the trans can be slid into the next gear.

Besides, shifting over 4k rpm.. I've not noticed any lack in response (lag) after a shift. Would be nice if I didn't have to wait so effin long to get the car into the next gear though.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Any response from Cobb yet?
    Robert

Stink-Eye Mob #1313
    2011 WRX 4 Door Ltd in DGM

No response and it's been over a week now. Guess their support staff isn't the most responsive...

Do you guys find that rev drops a lot faster when AC is turned on?

I'm tired of people getting mad at me after a red light because I have to wait a bit before shifting into second.

I only have an Impreza, but I guess slow rev drop also happens in WRX and STIs...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Its very possible, I've driven quite a few newer drive by wire cars/trucks that have the same characteristic rev hang after throttle release. The other thing I cant stand about the subaru (one of very few things) is when you clutch and let off the gas in first the ecu keeps the revs up around 1500-2k rpm until you pull the shifter out of gear. ... I KNOW how to drive stick, dont need the extra assistance. When driving along and letting off the throttle to slow down the car will adjust as if I dont know what I'm doing too.. Irritates the hell out of me when the mfr builds the car for people that shouldn't be driving it just to expand market share.
    I agree with that, I found it annoying as hell in the queue heading up the mountain one morning, kept either near stalling or taking off too quickly cos the revs weren't dropping in a normal rhythm. Also that electronic hill-start braking thing drives me nuts, you lose all feel of when the clutch is engaging and end up re-prodding the clutch for reassurance. Why Subaru WHY!
    Roses are Red, My Rex is Blue...

Cobb tune does help with the upshifting of the 2011...I have seen vast improvements since doing so

Just seen this post, new member. Yup, I can second that the Cobb AP stage 1 on my 2011 WRX improved not only the revs at shifting, but also every area of the engine, from idle smoothness, to torque, turbo lag, and top end power. I have it paired with an AEM cold air intake (Which is supported with stage 1 Cobb AP on 93) and an Invidia cat back. This threesome work in harmony. good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.