2011 WRC Sweden Feb 10-13 talk/results spoiler** - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRC Sweden Feb 10-13 talk/results spoiler** within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Saturday Afternoon SS12: Loeb flies through the ruts in Sweden Sebastien Loeb has made light work of the ruts that ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Saturday Afternoon

SS12: Loeb flies through the ruts in Sweden

Sebastien Loeb has made light work of the ruts that dogged several leading crews through the rerun of the Lesjofors stage on Rally Sweden by setting the fastest time on the test.

The Citroen DS3 WRC ace was more than six seconds faster than Ford Fiesta RS WRC pilot Jari-Matti Latvala with Sebastien Ogier third quickest in another factory DS3 WRC.

“We had no problem in this stage, no puncture,” said Loeb. “It’s getting better but we’re still far behind.”

Latvala suffered a brief spin two kilometres from the end of stage 12: “Honestly it’s been the quickest spin in my life. I can drive faster when I am in the ruts and it’s something I have been practicing a lot during the testing in December.”

Read: wrc.com/news/sweden/ss12

--------------------------

SS13: Loeb quickest as Hirvonen spins

The battle for victory on Rally Sweden has been turned on its head after leader Mikko Hirvonen spun his Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

The Finn ended up pointing in the wrong direction and had to drive the wrong way on the stage to find a place to turn around. As a result his lead over Mads Ostberg has been trimmed to 0.6s.

“I spun in a very fast place and had to drive in the wrong direction to find a place to turn around,” said Hirvonen. “It makes it very more exciting now I guess.”

Read: wrc.com/news/sweden/ss13

SS14: Stage win for Citroen star Ogier

Mikko Hirvonen has opened up a slender 6.2s advantage on Rally Sweden following the second run through the Fredriksberg stage.

And there was more good news for the factory Ford squad when Hirvonen’s team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala closed to within 7.8s of the lead, 1.6s behind second-placed Mads Ostberg with the third fastest time through the stage.

“I’m quite satisfied for that,” said Latvala. “I was concentrating to keep the car in the ruts and the ruts were cleaning a little bit by the guys in front.”

The Citroen Total World Rally Team also had plenty to celebrate when Sebastien Ogier went fastest through the stage in his Citroen DS3 WRC, 3.3s quicker than team-mate and seven-time world champion Sebastien Loeb managed. As a result, Ogier is 28.4s off top spot heading to stage 13.

“That was okay, there is nothing I can do, we just have to finish,” said Loeb, who remains in sixth overall, almost two minutes behind Ogier. “I am driving on a good rhythm but no big risks.”

Read: wrc.com/news/ss14

SS15: Stage joy for Loeb as battle for victory heats up

Fifteen seconds will cover the top five drivers heading into Karlstad superspecial stage tonight following a sensational finish to the second Varmullsasen stage, the standings after which will be used to determine the starting order for day three of the event.

Ford Fiesta RS WRC driver Mikko Hirvonen leads Mads Ostberg by 7.5s with Petter Solberg 2.4s adrift in his Citroen DS3 WRC. Jari-Matti Latvala is a further 1.9s behind while Sebastien Ogier, who was second fastest through the stage, is 14.8s adrift of leader Hirvonen.

Defending world champion Sebastien Loeb set the pace through the stage but his delays on Friday means he is not in the fight for glory in Sweden.

Read: wrc.com/news/ss15

SS16:

Mikko Hirvonen, driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, moved in front when he demoted Mads Ostberg for the lead on stage 11 this morning. Despite a spin on the next test, Hirvonen has remained in front and will take a lead of 7.4s into day three of the world championship season-opener.

However, with Hirvonen, Mads Ostberg, Petter Solberg, Jari-Matti Latvala and Sebastien Ogier all covered by 15.8s, the fight for victory is set to go down to the event-closing Power Stage, which will be shown live around the world on television and will award bonus points to the fastest three drivers.

Finn Hirvonen will start first on the road on Sunday admits he might lose time cleaning a line for the drivers running behind, something Ostberg had to do today.

“Maybe I don’t have a chance but you never know,” said Hirvonen. “All I can do is go flat-out. It’s been so difficult today because all those drivers running after us on the national rally are making the line in completely the wrong place but they won’t be there tomorrow so maybe we can do it. I will just push as hard as I can.”

Ostberg started day two 14.8s up on Hirvonen but gradually slipped back as the day progressed.

“It’s been absolutely very difficult today,” said the M-Sport Stobart Fiesta driver. “I expected it to be a lot better on the second pass of the stages but it was a lot worse with all the ruts that had formed. That made it so frustrating but that’s how it is. I just have to stay calm and not do anything stupid, drive and push again.”

Read More: wrc.com/news/saturday-wrap

Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Sunday

SS17: Solberg and Latvala hit trouble

Petter Solberg’s hopes of winning Rally Sweden suffered a setback on Sunday’s opening test as he slipped to more than 20 seconds adrift of leader Mikko Hirvonen.

The 2003 world champion, who was 8.9s behind Hirvonen overnight, complained of hanging snow dust during the stage in his Citroen DS3 WRC. “There was a lot of snow in the air and it was very difficult to see in some places. Maybe it’s better to be first on the road. I tried anyway.”

Hirvonen, driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, set a rapid pace on the stage to increase his lead over second-placed Mads Ostberg to 10 seconds.

Jari-Matti Latvala was also in trouble losing some 20 seconds after hitting a snow bank, which tore the front bumper from his Ford Fiesta RS WRC. “We went a bit wide and hit the snow bank, we’ve been struggling to keep the windscreen clear. It’s the problem with the snow dust, it’s very difficult.”

Read: wrc.com/news/ss17

-------------------------

SS18: Hirvonen increases lead in Sweden

Mikko Hirvonen has increased his lead of Rally Sweden following the first run through the Gustavsfors stage north east of the service park in Hagfors.

Driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, Hirvonen was 1.6s faster than defending world champion Sebastien Loeb in a Citroen DS3 WRC.

Ostberg was third fastest through the run and is now 11.9s behind Hirvonen in the overall standings with four stages left to run.

Read: wrc.com/news/ss18

SS19: Hirvonen edging closer to glory in Sweden

Mikko Hirvonen has continued his dominance of the final day of Rally Sweden with the fastest time through the Rammen stage in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

Hirvonen completed the stage with minor cosmetic damage to the front-right of his Fiesta, which the Finn said had been caused by hitting large chunks of ice that have fallen onto the road. “There was a little more snow on that stage and it was maybe not the perfect drive from me,” said Hirvonen.

Mads Ostberg, who was second fastest on the stage, said he was happy with his performance, despite losing further ground to Hirvonen. “I’m pushing really hard and if I try to go faster I’ll do mistakes,” said the Norwegian. “Okay I do a couple of mistakes by braking a bit too early for a couple of corners but I am very happy because Mikko is one of the best drivers in the world and I was only 1.7s slower.”

Read: wrc.com/news/ss19

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    SS20: Ostberg and Latvala keep up the pressure

The second run through Torntorp proved a slippery challenge for the WRC crews, as the hard packed ice surface of earlier today (SS17) had become broken and snow covered.

Rally leader Mikko Hirvonen was first through in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC and was concerned to see the split times of the cars behind him. “It was a lot more difficult than I thought - there’s a lot more snow and the rear is on the loose a lot,” he said. “We’re cleaning the road. I’m sure those behind will catch and the next one will be worse. It’s going to be a close fight.”

Sure enough Mads Ostberg, the man behind Hirvonen on the road and in the overall standings, set a quicker time to narrow the gap between them to 9.2 seconds. “He’s cleaning [the road] for me and I’m cleaning it for those behind,” said Ostberg. “I’m trying to push because on the first splits Petter was quicker than me. It’s good fun fighting in the front but I don’t want to push Mikko too much.”

Petter Solberg’s early charge through SS20 ended when he spun his Citroën DS3 though 180 degrees and had to drive to find a place wide enough to turn around in. As a result the Norwegian slipped to fifth place.

Read: wrc.com/news/ss20

------------------------

SS21: Ostberg narrows gap to Hirvonen

Mads Ostberg has narrowed Mikko Hirvonen’s overall lead of Rally Sweden to 4.9s with one stage of the world championship season-opener remaining.

Ostberg completed the penultimate test with a time of 12m15.5s, which was marginally slower than the time recorded by stage winner Jari-Matti Latvala. Crucially, however, it was more than four seconds faster than Hirvonen managed.

“It’s going well for us but I didn’t want to risk anything,” said M-Sport Stobart driver Ostberg. “I wanted to push to catch Mikko but I don’t want to destroy the result either. Mikko seemed to go very well as well and it’s not easy to catch him. I’m very happy with my driving.”

Read: wrc.com/news/ss21

SS22: Ogier takes Power Stage as Hirvonen wins rally - Ford 1,2,3 !

Citroen DS3 WRC driver Sebastien Ogier has won the World Rally Championship’s inaugural Power Stage to claim three extra points in the battle for title glory.

However, by completing the stage unscathed, Mikko Hirvonen has won Rally Sweden for the second time in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC following a thrilling finish to the first event of the new season.

The Finn beat Mads Ostberg in the final overall standings by 6.5s with Jari-Matti Larvala completing a Ford podium lockout.

There was drama prior to the start of the stage when Petter Solberg’s navigator Chris Patterson was forced into the driver’ seat of their Citroen DS3 WRC. Solberg committed a speeding offence during the event and his road licence was subsequently suspended, forcing Patterson to drive through the stage.

Monster World Rally Team’s Ken Block was the first driver to tackle the 4.16-kilometre Power Stage, which was shown live on television throughout the world. He said: “That stage was incredible, a lot of fun. I’m glad to be here.”

Read: wrc.com/news/ss22

Congtratulations to Mikko and to Ford on a 1,2,3 Finish

--------------------------------

Mikko Hirvonen has described winning Rally Sweden for the second year in a row as 'absolutely fantastic'.

The Finn powered his Ford Fiesta RS WRC into first place on Saturday morning and held on to the finish this afternoon following a thrilling five-way battle for WRC glory.

His win, the first of the new World Rally Car era, was his 13th in the world championship and makes him Ford’s most successful driver at world level.

“It’s absolutely fantastic,” said Hirvonen, who was co-driven to victory by countryman Jarmo Lehtinen. “It’s so nice to win the first rally in the new Fiesta also. I have to say I was really nervous before the start of the last stage but now I am really happy to have made such a good start to the season.”

Read: wrc.com/news/hirvonen-winning

image from : rallysweden.com/

Sweden Highlights Videos from WorldRallySport
    http://www.worldrallysport.com/forum...ead.php?p=6354

Next Round: WRC Mexico - March 3-6 , 2011

Official Site: rallymexico.com/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Petter Solberg Statement About His Speeding Incident

Solberg said: "I had an incident in connection with the service Friday PM which delayed my departure from the service station. I was of course eager to arrive at the next start in time, hence I drove too fast and was caught in a police speed check. The police clocked me at a speed of 112 km/hour whereas the speedlimit was 80 km/hour.

I was stopped by the police officer and immediately declared myself guilty as charged which meant that the police withdrew my drivers licence. However I, like everyone else, had the right to drive a car for 48 hours after the drivers licence was withdrawn. I was therefore allowed to keep on driving until 14.00 hours on the Sunday but not thereafter. Therefore I and my co-driver Chirs Patterson changed place in the car.

After my drivers licence was taken until Sunday 2 pm my co-workers tried to get an exemption so that I could drive the last stage as well but this did not work.

I have admitted my fault and will pay the fines. As with all foreign citizens I will be prohibited from driving in Sweden, but only in Sweden, for one to two months. So there are no worries, my dedication to the continued WRC will remain in full force."

----------------------
    and from wrc.com

Patterson was forced to take the wheel of the Citroen DS3 WRC after Solberg was banned from driving after being caught speeding on Friday afternoon. The Norwegian was caught at 112kph in an 80kph limit. The law in Sweden states that if you are 30kph or more over the limit, you are banned instantly. It has yet to be decided how long Solberg’s ban will run for, but it is not expected to last until next year’s Rally Sweden.

Read: wrc.com/news/Solberg

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ken Block's team manager has praised the American following his run to 14th place on Rally Sweden at the weekend.

Block, who was co-driven by Alex Gelsomino, had never contested the snow event before but got his Monster World Rally Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC to the finish in Karlstad on Sunday evening unscathed. In doing so he picked up the first manufacturers’ championship points for his squad after it registered as a WRC Team for 2011.

“Our goal for Sweden was to come here and learn it the best we could,” said Monster team manager Derek Dauncey. “We knew we weren’t going to just show up and match our gravel and Tarmac pace here on the snow. That said I am quite pleased with Ken’s performance. From the first to last stage of the rally Ken continued to improve his pace, eventually finding himself less than two seconds off the lead, which is very impressive for a Rally Sweden debut.”

Block, who had never competed on a snow rally using studded tyres before, said: “This was an extremely tough rally for me. On Friday, we were farther off the pace of the top drivers than we have ever been in our WRC career. But slowly and surely we lessened the gap. We knew coming to Sweden it was going to be one of our biggest challenges this year. I just don’t have the experience on snow these other drivers do. After all, I am just a kid who grew up in southern California.”

The highlight of the event for Block was his 37-metre leap over Colin’s Crest on the Vargasen stage on Friday morning. The jump was the longest recorded and earned Block the Colin’s Crest Award, created to honour the late 1995 world rally champion Colin McRae.

“Colin was not only a good friend to me, but a huge inspiration and a big reason that I’m rally racing, so I couldn't be more stoked to have won this award,” said Block. “It proves that even on one of my worst days in a rally car, I can still try to have fun and earn an award for hooning. I would imagine that would have made Colin proud.”

Read: wrc.com/news/high-praise

"All We'll Drive"

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats to Ken Block for even finishing the rally,and getting the Colin Crest Award.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12