F1 2011 Talk/Results etc - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

This is a discussion on F1 2011 Talk/Results etc within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Official: Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Agnelli family's Exor confirm F1 plan It may have seemed far-fetched when the news ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Official: Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Agnelli family's Exor confirm F1 plan

It may have seemed far-fetched when the news first broke, and Bernie Ecclestone may think it will never amount to anything, but the reports of a plan to buy-out Formula 1 have proven factual.

The initial reports indicated that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, together with an unnamed second investor (speculated to be connected to Ferrari), were looking into acquiring the commercial rights to the premier motor racing series, which are currently held by CVC Capital and directed by Ecclestone. That second party turns out the be Exor, the investment company owned by the Agnelli family and chaired by its scion John Elkann, who also heads up the Fiat Group... which in turn owns Ferrari.

Exor has confirmed that it and News Corp are interested in buying all or part of the F1 business, although it admits that its interest alone won't necessarily lead to the deal's completion. After all, CVC would have to be willing to sell, and sources don't expect that to come any time soon. But then, everything has its price.

The notion of Ferrari's owners also owning F1, of course, will lead to much speculation, particularly since the team's former chief executive Jean Todt already presides over the FIA, the body which governs everything about the sport that Formula One Management doesn't.

Read / Press Release: autoblog.com/2011/05/04/rupert-murdochs-news-corp-and-agnelli-familys-exor-confirm-f1/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This will be a dramatic change if true. We will go from a situation where Ferrari essentially runs F1, to a situation where Ferrari essentially runs F1. They'll have to take great care to ensure Ferrari continues running F1 during the crucial transition period from Ferrari running F1 to Ferrari running F1.

I'm not a Murdoch fan. The best thing I can say is that the old sitcom, Hot Metal, that made fun of him weekly and relentlessly, was a very funny series.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not a bad GP in TR this year. The commentators at Speed saw fit to babble aimlessly about turn 8 on and on and on -- we get it, it's got more than one apex. Let go. Or at least be quiet. They talked over important stuff just ot mention that turn again and again...

They talked over the pole position lap in Q3 and then didn't know what to say when RBR parked their cars. I don't want to watch a GPon mute, but I wish there was a karaoke setting with the GP sounds but not the rambling idolatry. Give it a rest Speed.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-09-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Official: Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Agnelli family's Exor confirm F1 plan

It may have seemed far-fetched when the news first broke, and Bernie Ecclestone may think it will never amount to anything, but the reports of a plan to buy-out Formula 1 have proven factual.

The initial reports indicated that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, together with an unnamed second investor (speculated to be connected to Ferrari), were looking into acquiring the commercial rights to the premier motor racing series, which are currently held by CVC Capital and directed by Ecclestone. That second party turns out the be Exor, the investment company owned by the Agnelli family and chaired by its scion John Elkann, who also heads up the Fiat Group... which in turn owns Ferrari.

Exor has confirmed that it and News Corp are interested in buying all or part of the F1 business, although it admits that its interest alone won't necessarily lead to the deal's completion. After all, CVC would have to be willing to sell, and sources don't expect that to come any time soon. But then, everything has its price.

The notion of Ferrari's owners also owning F1, of course, will lead to much speculation, particularly since the team's former chief executive Jean Todt already presides over the FIA, the body which governs everything about the sport that Formula One Management doesn't.

Read / Press Release: autoblog.com/2011/05/04/rupert-murdochs-news-corp-and-agnelli-familys-exor-confirm-f1/

Well if this goes through I guess we can kiss goodbye to watching F1 on free to air channels Murdoch and co will put it on their Pay Per View channels instead

I Support ClubWRX
    I cannot watch F1 on OTA channels as is right now anyway. Speed channel requires payment. I don't know of anyone in the US that can watch F1 OTA.

I Support ClubWRX
    Isn't SPEED TV already owned by News Corp?This is why we are forced to watch 4 races on FOX every year.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Isn't SPEED TV already owned by News Corp?This is why we are forced to watch 4 races on FOX every year.
    Will there be OTA Grands Prix on Fox this year? They have better picture than Speed (nothing beats OTA HD in my area) but the commentary can take the usual dumbing down heard on Speed to all new lows, and I don't have an OTA HD DVR so I tend to watch off the sat feed on 480i anyway, to skip the endless commercials.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know if they will have races on FOX this year,but it happens every year,so I'm assuming they will.

Since the switch to HD,transmission quality should be the same.What bothers me is that on FOX they tend to trim the races short,to cram in all the extra ads.And the commentary is dumbed down,more explaining the ABCs of F1 to someone who happened to stumble upon the broadcast while channel surfing.

I watched the SPEEDTV.com web stream of practice the other day(sans commentary),pure delight.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Good to see Alonso on the podium at least. Massa's performance was a bit grim though. Still though it is a start.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would like to see Massa win a title, so I want to see him do a lot better as soon as possible.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Good to see Alonso on the podium at least. Massa's performance was a bit grim though. Still though it is a start.
    After the race Seb came up to him and said "where the hell did you come from?". He appears to fear a charging Alonso more than a weeping Lewis Hamilton who beat him the previous week.

On another note

ScarbsF1 has been tweeting that the exhaust blown diffusers have essentially been regulated, instead of them using 100% off throttle they will now only be allowed10-15% of the gasses when off throttle. This is going to slow down the teams that are utilizing this, IE RBR, Merc,Ferrari, Renault,and McLaren.

This is the single greatest technical change of the 2011 season and will really mix things up. I remember reading the the exhaust blowing the diffuser generates 20% of the cars rear downforce.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would like to see Massa win a title, so I want to see him do a lot better as soon as possible.
    I'll eat my shoe if Massa wins the Drivers championship. He is a wonderful guy but he is never going to beat Seb, Lewis or Fernando.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes it is unlikely Massa will win a title. I still want to see it happen though.

It is kind of funny, everyone likes Massa even people who are not Ferrari fans. He will never win a title though which is a shame because he was very close that one season. I think he has been worse post accident but maybe it is just the way the seasons and cars have been.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.