F1 News. Agreement close on 2013 engine changes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on F1 News. Agreement close on 2013 engine changes within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Despite the reluctance of Bernie Ecclestone and key manufacturers, including Ferrari, Formula One is pushing ahead with a radical new ...

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar

F1 News. Agreement close on 2013 engine changes

Despite the reluctance of Bernie Ecclestone and key manufacturers, including Ferrari, Formula One is pushing ahead with a radical new engine formula for 2013.

The shift from the current normally-aspirated V8s to efficient energy recovery-boosted 1.6 litre four-cylinder turbos with fuel restrictions is expected to be rubber-stamped shortly by the F1 Commission and the FIA's World Motor Sport Council within days.

It had been reported key engine makers were pushing against the move, ostensibly on cost grounds, but BBC Sport said the FIA is set to announce the new regulations next Friday, and a spokesman for Ferrari confirmed that he would be "surprised" if it did not now take place, adding: "An agreement is there, and when there is an agreement you work accordingly."

But Ecclestone admits he still has misgivings. "We have a very good engine formula. Why should we change it to something that is going to cost millions of pounds and that nobody wants and that could end up with one manufacturer getting a big advantage?"

The report said "checks and balances", primarily through resource restriction, have been written into the new regulations to counteract those fears.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/s...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    1.6T eh , same as the 2011 WRCars
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I don't like the idea of reducing fuel flow, I say give them a set amount of fuel and see what they do with it.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    I don't like the idea of reducing fuel flow, I say give them a set amount of fuel and see what they do with it.
    +1 i agree
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

For 2013, the power capacity of the Kers systems will be increased from 60kw to 120kw.

Fuel consumption will be restricted both by limiting fuel flow and introducing a maximum capacity for races.

The new engines will not do more than 10,000 revs per minute - current F1 engines spin at 18,000rpm.
    In subsequent years, complex new turbocharging technology called compounding will be introduced to further enhance efficiency.
    The regulations have been framed to encourage the pursuit of efficiency in engine design, dramatically increasing the amount of power that can be produced per litre of fuel burnt.
    Those lessons in efficiency can then be transferred to road cars so that considerably less fuel is used for a given amount of performance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/9255871.stm

I Support ClubWRX
    It will be very interesting to hear what these engines are going to sound like.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It will be very interesting to hear what these engines are going to sound like.
    I'm wondering how many maps they will have to select from in the ****pit. Without fuel flow restrictions the could potentially dial up 100hp with the flick of a button, which I would guess is the reason for the rule.

The rumor seems to be that VAG wants in on four cylinder F1.

It Would be cool to See an affordable twin turbo hybrid Ferrari road car and what it might look like.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/03/29/banned-turbos/

In a past edition of Banned! we looked at the gas turbine engine and noted the myriad flaws that prevented from being a competitive prospect in F1 racing.

But who can say those flaws might not have been rectified in the laboratory of high-teh car development that is Formula One?

For one example of an F1 engine technology that was dismissed at first, went through a difficult gestation, and then became ubiquitous, look no further than the turbo engines that defined F1 racing in the 1980s.

In May 1977 Renault revealed its first ever Formula One car, the RS/01. It boasted two distinctive innovations: One was its radial tyres developed with Michelin. The other was its engine – a 1,492cc turbo unit, the first of its kind in Formula 1.

The single car outfit made an inauspicious Grand Prix debut in Britain that year. Jean Pierre Jabouille qualified the car 21st on the flat-out sweeps of Silverstone, a circuit virtually tailor made for turbos. After just 12 laps its inlet manifold cracked, and once that was repaired it managed another five before the turbo broke.

Few outside Renault were convinced of the potential of the ‘Yellow Teapot’. But the French team persevered. It took them two years to win a Grand Prix, at Dijon in France in 1979. But if the promise of turbocharging was becoming apparent to them, Renault’s rivals were beginning to realise it would take a long time to catch up.

.Ferrari were the next team to jump on the turbo bandwagon – their first turbo car arriving in 1981. Gilles Villeneuve somehow hustled the ungainly beast to two highly unlikely victories at the twisty Monte-Carlo and Jarama circuits.

The chief problems with the turbo engines were chronic unreliability, which typically manifested itself in explosive, fiery fashion, and throttle lag.

At first the delay between the throttle being opened and the turbo spinning up meant a huge burst of power arrived whole seconds after the driver depressed the accelerator – not what you needed at Monte-Carlo on a damp track.

Every team found it had to go through this difficult development period and it thrust the British chassis constructors in the direction of major car manufacturers. Brabham teamed up with BMW, Williams with Honda, McLaren with Porsche. A sport that just a few years ago had largely been the Cosworth brigade versus Ferrari now boasted the names of many top car builders.

Ironically Renault failed to be the first team to win a championship with a turbo engine. In 1982, their fifth full season, they had still not ironed out the car’s mechanical gremlins and several DNFs too many stopped Alain Prost from being champion.

He came even closer the next year, but by then the British had caught up and, aided by some imaginative fuel, Prost was beaten by Nelson Piquet’s Brabham-BMW.

By that season – 1983 – the writing was writ large on the wall. The British teams, which only the previous season had resorted to flagrant rule-bending to bring their Cosworth-powered cars on terms with the turbos, had now dropped their DFV powerplants for turbo power.

A notable exception was Ken Tyrrell, who didn’t get his hands on a turbo until 1985 (and even then not for very long).

The 1983 season also saw the final win for a normally aspirated engine in a race against turbos, when Michele Alboreto won at Detroit in his Tyrrell.

Engine horsepower outputs skyrocketed in the mid-80s. Rumours of one-lap wonder qualifying engines capable of 1,400 bhp – nicknamed ‘grenades’ – were not that far wide of the mark. The FIA searched desperately for a means of containing speeds and began by reducing the volume of fuel each car was allowed.

This brought howls of protest that races would be reduced to ‘economy runs’. And at first it did result in the unedifying spectacle of drivers running out of fuel within sight of the flag – the computer technology used to monitor fuel consumption being in its infancy.

Perhaps worst of all was the 1985 San Marino Grand Prix, when leader Stefan Johansson ran out of fuel within a few laps of the flag. So did Piquet and Ayrton Senna. Prost crossed the line to win – but had so little fuel left his car was disqualified for being underweight. The ‘victory’ went to Elio de Angelis’ Lotus…

The teams grappled with the rules as the FIA tightened the leash further. Fuel allowances were cut and maximum boost levels limited with pop-off valves. Each year brought new claims that an ‘equivalence formula’ could be found to allow the normally aspirated cars to compete. And each year the turbos won every race.

In 1987 it drove the governing body to set up separate championships for non-turbo runners. Unsurprisingly they were dominated by Tyrrell who won the constructors’ title (The Colin Chapman Cup) and driver Jonathan Palmer took the drivers’ (The Jim Clark Cup). The championships, largely forgotten by the history books, were dropped after one year.

This came as the FIA finally acted to draw the turbo era to a close – it would be normally-aspirated engines only from 1989.

The 1988 season saw McLaren-Honda win all but one race in a fearsome display of technical superiority and reliability. Those were not the words with which one might have accurately described turbos during their infancy, but that’s what a decade of development by top F1 teams can achieve.

F1′s turbo era is remembered for its spectacle – the ultra-high performance qualifying engines and flame-spitting exhausts. Faced with such an excess of power the teams could run steeper wing angles which not only gave the cars more grip in the corners, but created more drag and facilitated overtaking.

Outside of Formula One turbos still remain in some top racing series such as Champ Cars. And it has been suggested that, in F1′s search for an environmentally friendly formula for the future, compact turbocharged and supercharged engines might one day be an answer.

I dont like the idea of the downsizing engines and increase of KERS. KERS is already a hassle and adding more power wont help. Plus, 10k revs is a lot less exciting than 18k

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.