Despite the reluctance of Bernie Ecclestone and key manufacturers, including Ferrari, Formula One is pushing ahead with a radical new engine formula for 2013.
The shift from the current normally-aspirated V8s to efficient energy recovery-boosted 1.6 litre four-cylinder turbos with fuel restrictions is expected to be rubber-stamped shortly by the F1 Commission and the FIA's World Motor Sport Council within days.
It had been reported key engine makers were pushing against the move, ostensibly on cost grounds, but BBC Sport said the FIA is set to announce the new regulations next Friday, and a spokesman for Ferrari confirmed that he would be "surprised" if it did not now take place, adding: "An agreement is there, and when there is an agreement you work accordingly."
But Ecclestone admits he still has misgivings. "We have a very good engine formula. Why should we change it to something that is going to cost millions of pounds and that nobody wants and that could end up with one manufacturer getting a big advantage?"
The report said "checks and balances", primarily through resource restriction, have been written into the new regulations to counteract those fears.