John Force Claims 15TH Title At NHRA Finals
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on John Force Claims 15TH Title At NHRA Finals within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Three years after a crash almost ended his career, drag-racing legend John Force won his 15th NHRA Full Throttle Series ...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

John Force Claims 15TH Title At NHRA Finals

Three years after a crash almost ended his career, drag-racing legend John Force won his 15th NHRA Full Throttle Series Funny Car championship in improbable fashion on Sunday at the Auto Club NHRA Finals in Pomona, Calif.

"I've got to give it to my great group of guys," Force said. "I just believe in magic. This old guy has used up all of his talent and luck."

Force trailed points leader Matt Hagan by just less than two rounds' worth of competition heading into Sunday's final day of racing. To sew up the title, all Hagan needed to do was reach the semifinals.

Unfortunately for Hagan, Bob Tasca III delivered a first-round knockout blow. Tasca and the Motocraft Ford Mustang put in a run of 4.148 seconds at 303.57 mph as Hagan's DieHard Dodge Charger sputtered and smoked its way to the finish line.

All Hagan could do was watch and hope Force would trip up.

"Sometimes you just can't control the outcome," Hagan said. "It's a team sport, and we all have to do our part. I feel like all my guys stepped up and did a really good job. To finish second, we're a little bummed out about that, it hurts inside. We had a legitimate shot at this thing. To be out here as little as we have, it's pretty cool."

Force and the Castrol High Mileage Ford Mustang would not be denied. Force smashed former teammate Gary Densham with a pass of 4.116 seconds at 307.23 mph to Densham's 5.498 at 135.96 mph in the first round.

The 61-year-old followed up that run with a 4.162 at 304.60 mph to beat Bob Bode's 4.225 at 295.34 mph in the second round to become the oldest NHRA champion in history.

"We ran all year with the lead and lost it at Reading [Pa.] when the clutch pedal fell off," Force said. "We had meetings two or three times a week saying, 'We can't make mistakes.' We opened the door for Hagan, and he took advantage of it.

"Hagan is a class act. He's got many championships ahead of him. But we got it here, and the shot heard around the world came from Bobby Tasca and his Ford Mustang. We couldn't count on Hagan to stumble. If we [would have had to race] Hagan in the final, it would be too late [to take the title]."

To show just how fired up Force was, he went ahead and won the Auto Club Finals Sunday night, beating Jeff Arend for his sixth win of the season. Force ran down the track in 4.085 seconds at 310.41 mph to Arend's 4.109 at 307.65 mph.

In Top Fuel, Larry Dixon had a less perilous path to his third championship. He needed only to defeat Mike Strasburg in the first round to break Tony Schumacher's streak of six consecutive NHRA championships.

Schumacher, in the U.S. Army dragster, put the pressure on Dixon by dispatching Dominic Lagana in the pairing ahead of Dixon.

Dixon and the Al-Anabi Racing team did not fold under the pressure. Dixon blistered the track with a pass of 3.854 seconds at 318.92 mph, which humbled Strasburg's 4.620 at 168.66 mph.

The Pro Stock running on Sunday was less dramatic, as Greg Anderson and his Summit Racing Pontiac GXP already wrapped up the championship on Saturday. As for the racing on Sunday, Shane Gray beat Jeg Coughlin Jr. for the Pro Stock trophy, and Antron Brown beat Shawn Langdon in Top Fuel.

Gray's Big O Tires Pontiac GXP ran 6.566 seconds at 209.20 mph, as Coughlin--who announced earlier this weekend that he will step aside from Pro Stock racing in 2011--ran a 6.568 at 210.18 mph in the Jegs.com Chevrolet Cobalt.

Top Fuel racer Brown's Matco Tools Dragster won with a final-round pass of 3.840 seconds at 311.99 mph, as Langdon's Lucas Oil/Speedco dragster clocked in with a 4.185 at 306.46 mph.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz15SIwiZLv
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats what a amazing finish to the season
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats awesome Force should now retire, 15 is a good number.

The NHRA needs Travis Pastrana to bring fans over. I think its popularity is suffering pretty bad in the last few years.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I really couldn't believe the old man pulled it off. how they say; "Don't call it a comeback. I've been here for years"?
    It was also really good to see Alan Johnson pull it off in top fuel.

I still hate the countdown, but it was good to see Force pull this deal off. He has singlehandedly kept drag racing relevant. Probably will for years to come. But we could use some new blood.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Austin Coil has stepped down as crew chief,wow.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Yeah, we kind of knew it was coming. But I am with him about needing to spend some time away and with his family. He has done nothing but drag racing for over a quarter of a century. Time to do a few things you and your wife want to do while you have the time and are healthy enough to do it. (And have enough money in the bank to do it.) Time to travel to places you want to go, rather than spend your days in the Topeka airport.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.