Can we still use the '02 wrx SCCA memberships?

This is a discussion on Can we still use the '02 wrx SCCA memberships? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When I got my car, leafing through stuff in my glovebox, I noticed that I still had the original document ...

Can we still use the '02 wrx SCCA memberships?

When I got my car, leafing through stuff in my glovebox, I noticed that I still had the original document offering free SCCA membership for one year for wrx owners - somehow, none of the previous three owners ever bothered to fill this in.

Since I see no sort of expiration or anything, would I still be allowed to send this in for a free year's membership?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    All they can do is say no - go for it.

That's how I got started in the SCCA. I waited a full year when I bought my WRX new back in 2004.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree, try it and see. If they do say "no" I'd shop around instead of just joining SCCA if you want to auto-x though. There are local car clubs that sponsor events in CA, for example, that are cheaper, more fun, and with a lower-but-friendlier attendance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I agree, try it and see. If they do say "no" I'd shop around instead of just joining SCCA if you want to auto-x though. There are local car clubs that sponsor events in CA, for example, that are cheaper, more fun, and with a lower-but-friendlier attendance.
    Maybe in California the "friendliness" issue is a problem with the SCCA clubs, but the OP is in NJ. I know that the South NJ and the Northern NJ chapters are both pretty cool groups of guys. Philly Region, too, is very outgoing.

I will echo what's been said already -- send in the paperwork, and the worst they will say is "no." Otherwise, if you're interested in joining SCCA on the cheap, there are a couple of options. If you're under 25, the First Gear membership is something ridiculously inexpensive, like $25/yr.

Secondly, if you go to two autocrosses as a non-member, you will have to pay for two temporary memberships, and depending on the region, that will be anywhere from $5-15 each time. Check ahead of time to see how much it is, because if it's only $5 or $10, it's worth it to do the temp membership thing twice, then submit your temp membership numbers to SCCA for a full year membership with a $30 discount ($15 for each of the temp memberships).
    Karen Kraus
    2005 SCCA FS Southeast Divisional Champion | 2007 SCCA DSL National Champion
    2008 SCCA ProSolo L1 Champion | 2009 SCCA ESPL National Champion
    2010 SCCA ESP Northeast Divisional Champion
    2006 WRX (ESP 34) | 1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (ESP 34) | 1997 Camaro Z28 (DD)

Interesting, someone at the last autocross I was at mentioned this program. I told them I had ordered a new WRX and they said I could get a free SCCA membership.

I hadn't heard of it recently so I am guessing it isn't being done anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Chader View Post
    Interesting, someone at the last autocross I was at mentioned this program. I told them I had ordered a new WRX and they said I could get a free SCCA membership.

I hadn't heard of it recently so I am guessing it isn't being done anymore?
    They probably aren't doing it anymore. Within the packet of documentation (warranty guide, tire guide, owners manual, etc.), there used to be a nice little thing congratulating on your purchase and a form to fill out to send to the SCCA.

I sent mine last week, no word yet.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit