WRX drag racing launch questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX drag racing launch questions. within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, I have a slightly modified 07 WRX TR (3in. cat back, and STP cold air system). My question ...

Arrow WRX drag racing launch questions.

First off, I have a slightly modified 07 WRX TR (3in. cat back, and STP cold air system). My question is at what RPM is the optimal launch point on a prepared drag strip w/air temps around 85(+/-). I launched at ~4000r's and it was a bit sluggish, and then at a bit higher ~4500-4750r's and I began to notice a burnt clutch smell. Since tonight was the first time I have ever ran my car, I really don't know what to have expected, and I didn't think to ask before I went. I would really appreciate any feedback given, Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I havne't launched my WRX... BUT I did have a very fast DSM with AWD.

People recommended a 4500RPM launch, and that worked sometimes but I had better 60' times with a 5500 launch.

The AWD launch is essentially a pass/fail. If you get it just right it will shoot you like a sling shot and not burn your clutch.

But if you get it wrong, your car will bog down and you'll spend the rest of the race playing catch up. If you're at a track and time is the game, you're better off just driving "normally" to the end and trying again - no sense in driving it that hard for a time that's not going to be accurate because of the poor launch.

Proper AWD launching takes a few, or several practice runs to find what works for your car.

Done right it's one of the best car feelings in the world. I used to take on friends as passangers and surprise them with it at stop lights (light turns green.. quick rep and slip the clutch and off we go). My buddy Jason was holding a two-way radio to poke himself in the eye because he wasn't expecting it. (this was during our youth days, we traveled as a group and used radios (aka walkie talkies) to talk to each other and warn of potential dangers, both road and the law enforcement kind).

After the "ow! my eye!" he said "oh my god, do it again".

-Clovis
    Justin "Clovis" Harward
    2011 Dark Grey WRX
    Colorado Springs, CO

My avatar is a picture of a REAL Wendy's girl that I took. I couldn't believe the shirt (spoon me? sounds like a sexual lawsuit waiting to happen) but it's pretty funny too. I commented about her shirt, she was cool and I asked if I could take a picture with my phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I havne't launched my WRX... BUT I did have a very fast DSM with AWD.
    People recommended a 4500RPM launch, and that worked sometimes but I had better 60' times with a 5500 launch.

-Clovis
    I tried it at 5500, and had clutch float and a decent amount of wheel spin, I fear for my trans at anything above 4000.

Registered User silverbullet207's Avatar
    I like to fluff the gas between 5000 -5500, slowly let off the gas til the clutch grabs then dump it. I went to the track last weekend and was getting a 1.7 - 1.8 in the 60ft. Just be sure to NEVER just dump the clutch, big difference between dumping the clutch and launching
    ** Hawk-Eye Alliance #513 **
    '06 WRX Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Job Taker View Post
    First off, I have a slightly modified 07 WRX TR (3in. cat back, and STP cold air system). My question is at what RPM is the optimal launch point on a prepared drag strip w/air temps around 85(+/-). I launched at ~4000r's and it was a bit sluggish, and then at a bit higher ~4500-4750r's and I began to notice a burnt clutch smell. Since tonight was the first time I have ever ran my car, I really don't know what to have expected, and I didn't think to ask before I went. I would really appreciate any feedback given, Thanks in advance.
    Crazy idea: 4EAT or a 5EAT.
    Or a RWD conversion and a chevy tranny. It will survive anything then.

Or just do what I do, use the WRX as a daily driver and then drag race a VW bug.
    Fully built tranny: 1200 dollars.

I've launched my car playing around a lot and well...
    These aren't the best cars for drag racing.
    Too many moving goodies, too much money to make them strong, and well... this is a better car for Auto-X then drag.
    2006 WRX: For sale so I can get a damn mortgage.... bleh...
    1970 Beetle: Upset causing sleeper

If you smell clutch, you need to let it out way faster.

I launch between 5000 and 6000. Start out revving high, around 5500. if the wheels spin too much then the next pass you drop it 500 to 1000. If it bogs, raise it 500 to 1000. Practice that and I guarantee you will be ripping it out of the hole in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
    I f you smell clutch, you need to let it out way faster.

I launch between 5000 and 6000. Start out revving high, around 5500. if the wheels spin too much then the next pass you drop it 500 to 1000. If it bogs, raise it 500 to 1000. Practice that and I guarantee you will be ripping your tranny out and replacing it in no time
    ***FIXED***
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    ***FIXED***
    Looks about right now!

Awd launches are fun and everything, but why beat the hell out of your car? Its fine if its your track/toy car, but if its your DD your just asking for a broken drivetrain... just my 2 cents...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I've always had better luck keeping to lower revs and feathering it more. You never get any bog, though it does put a little wear on the clutch. I never go over about 4k.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Wrong, unless you do something stupid or have a big turbo. I had the so called glass 02 gears and had 122 time slips and probably around 40 launches on the road when I took my gears out. I don't think they even had a scratch on them!! Some of those runs were as low as 12.6. Do it right and try to break the tires loose every time and you wont have a problem.

Don't belive me? Here Look for yourself:

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0773.jpg

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0771.jpg

My freind that goes to the track with me, launches the same way (The Proper Way) and has over 200 time slips, runs low 11's on his 04 with vf34 and his gears are fine too.

This is real world experience, not just something i read on line.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    ***FIXED***

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
    Wrong, unless you do something stupid or have a big turbo. I had the so called glass 02 gears and had 122 time slips and probably around 40 launches on the road when I took my gears out. I don't think they even had a scratch on them!! Some of those runs were as low as 12.6. Do it right and try to break the tires loose every time and you wont have a problem.

Don't belive me? Here Look for yourself:

This is real world experience, not just something i read on line.
    You may have had good luck, but they have the reputation of "glass gears" for a reason. Maybe you and your friend are better than most at launching. Maybe your gears are stronger than the majority. But don't say somebody is wrong just because you and one other person have had a different experience than the majority of people. You need to be careful with the transmissions.

But what do I know, I'm an idiot when it comes to cars and know nothing really so don't listen to me. Just because "glass gears" is the way they describe them because they just shatter and don't break slowly is no reason to imagine that your gears that look like glass now won't shatter. Nope. No reason to imagine that main transmissions components usually fail catastrophically rather than slowly going like a syncro is no reason to imagine gears that look good might fail on their next launch. Nope, don't worry about it.

I'm glad you and your friend have had good luck. So why'd you take the gears out?
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 12-02-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Its not just my freind and I. That was just an example. Its everybody I have gone with and or seen at the track in the past 8 years.
    Majority of these "reputations" that go around on these boards happen because a couple people do something or break something, then the people that read it repeat it in another thread and so on. Its a huge pyramid. Majority of these people have never even been to a track.
    For example, if you look years back there was a rumor that the reason why gears break was because the wrx case flexes. This went on for a few years before one of the most reputable subaru shop owners set it straight.

Gears break from too much power or improper shifting.

Of course a bad install or defective gears would do it too, but thats less often.

The reason I took mine out was because my car was making a noise. I took it to a few very reputable subaru shops. They all thought it was coming from the tranny, So I bought ppg 1st and second and v5 sti 3, 4. This way I would be prepared for any future upgrades. After the tranny was rebuilt, the noise was still there. That was probably another 200 launches ago and the car still runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You may have had good luck, but they have the reputation of "glass gears" for a reason. Maybe you and your friend are better than most at launching. Maybe your gears are stronger than the majority. But don't say somebody is wrong just because you and one other person have had a different experience than the majority of people. You need to be careful with the transmissions.

But what do I know, I'm an idiot when it comes to cars and know nothing really so don't listen to me. Just because "glass gears" is the way they describe them because they just shatter and don't break slowly is no reason to imagine that your gears that look like glass now won't shatter. Nope. No reason to imagine that main transmissions components usually fail catastrophically rather than slowly going like a syncro is no reason to imagine gears that look good might fail on their next launch. Nope, don't worry about it.

I'm glad you and your friend have had good luck. So why'd you take the gears out?

Quote Originally Posted by FUJIcar87 View Post
    Crazy idea: 4EAT or a 5EAT.
    Or a RWD conversion and a chevy tranny. It will survive anything then.

Or just do what I do, use the WRX as a daily driver and then drag race a VW bug.
    Fully built tranny: 1200 dollars.

I've launched my car playing around a lot and well...
    These aren't the best cars for drag racing.
    Too many moving goodies, too much money to make them strong, and well... this is a better car for Auto-X then drag.
    This is true, I had the itch to see what the car could do, I just figured with my limited knowledge of launching in this car, it may do me some good to know what method is the most sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Awd launches are fun and everything, but why beat the hell out of your car? Its fine if its your track/toy car, but if its your DD your just asking for a broken drivetrain... just my 2 cents...
    Agreed, it was the first and to this day the only time I have ever drag raced it, perhaps auto-x but I intend on being more kind to the car in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast