WRC France Oct 1-3 talk/results spoiler** - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRC France Oct 1-3 talk/results spoiler** within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Day 3 SS17 Third placed Petter Solberg was the fastest driver through Sunday's opening stage - a short sprint through ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 3

SS17

Third placed Petter Solberg was the fastest driver through Sunday's opening stage - a short sprint through the streets of Sebastien Loeb's birth town, Haguenau.

And with Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala just 20 seconds behind him at the start of the day, Solberg had good reason to put his foot down.

In the event the Finn completed the 4.2km dash in the third quickest time - 0.8sec slower than Petter - but he could have been quicker had he not side-swiped a hay bale chicane near the finish. His car escaped with a broken side window but no significant damage.

Dani Sordo completed the stage with some ominous smoke coming from his C4 WRC. Reports from the road section to SS17 suggest this was due to a leaking water hose which Sordo has been able to fix.

With a rally lead of more than 40 seconds, Sebastien Loeb completed in the fourth fastest time, 1.3 seconds slower than Solberg.

Following his retirement on Saturday, Citroen Junior team driver Kimi Raikkonen elected not to restart Sunday’s competition.

Click: wrc.com/News SS17

---------------------

SS18

The battle for third on Rallye de France intensified on Sunday's second test, when an off road excursion for Petter Solberg allowed Jari-Matti Latvala to take a big step closer to the final step of the podium.

Solberg began the 24km stage at the *****e Camp military proving ground 20.8sec ahead of the chasing Finn, but lost around 10 seconds when he drove his Citroen C4 WRC off the road. He completed the stage with his car covered in mud but undamaged. “It’s very bad,” said Solberg, “I think Latvala can take a lot of time here.”

Sure enough Latvala was quicker, setting the second fastest time and reducing the gap to Solberg to 14.2 seconds with two stages to go. “We are getting closer,” said Latvala, “But running behind in the road order means there’s more and more mud on the corners and some sections were very, very slippery.”

Citroen Total team driver Dani Sordo set the fastest time. Heading to Sunday’s midpoint regroup his team-mate Sebastien Loeb’s rally lead stood at 37.8sec.

Click: wrc.com/News SS18

---------------------

SS19 Cancelled

Rally organisers have cancelled the penultimate stage of Rallye de France - the repeat of the 24km *****e Camp - after fears over spectator safety.

Huge crowds had flocked to the military proving ground to watch the action, but with concerns over their positioning the decision was taken to scrap the test.

Instead, competitors will take an alterative route to the start of the final, decisive stage in Haguenau.

Click: wrc.com/News SS19

---------------------

End of Day 3

SS20

Citroen C4 WRC driver Sebastien Loeb has won the Rallye de France, and with it a sensational seventh consecutive FIA World Rally Championship drivers' title.

Today’s victory was the 60th at World Championship level for Loeb and co-driver Daniel Elena, who sealed the emotional win on a stage in Haguenau - the town in which Loeb was born 36 years ago.

Loeb led the rally from beginning to end, finishing 35.7sec ahead of the man in second place, his Citroen Total team-mate Dani Sordo. The team result gives Citroen an assailable lead in the manufacturers’ championship, meaning the FIA crown is heading to Paris for the sixth time.

Citroen privateer Petter Solberg finished third, 41.1sec behind Sordo, to complete a clean sweep of the podium for the French manufacturer.

Ford works team driver Jari-Matti Latvala finished fourth while his team-mate Mikko Hirvonen completed the top five places.

Click: wrc.com/News SS20

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats to Loeb!...again.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    WRC Wrap

Unusually, Sebastien Loeb capped the perfect day with... eighth fastest time on the final stage of the Rallye de France - but the recently crowned seven-time champion wasn't remotely worried about how long it had taken him to race around his town for the second time.

The Frenchman and his Citroen C4 WRC enjoyed another inch-perfect and trouble-free day. Fourth fastest in Haguenau this morning, the champion elect was second in what would become the day’s only visit to the 24-kilometre *****e Camp stage.

When the re-run of that test was cancelled due to high number of spectators, just over four kilometres stood between Loeb and his 60th win. And those kilometres were dispatched with a smile on his face.

“This is fantastic,” said Loeb. “This has been a very impressive rally. It has been very difficult and I didn’t expect so many people to be here. This is the best result for me to win the championship here in France.”

The crews following were full of congratulations for Loeb, but there had been battles between the other drivers to focus on.

Loeb’s team-mate Dani Sordo took second place, helping to confirm Citroen as winners of the manufacturers’ championship again. With Petter Solberg not too far behind - and fastest on Sunday’s opening stage, Sordo had to be on his mettle in *****e Camp.

He was. He was fastest. Second to Loeb again, Sordo didn’t mind this time. “I’m really happy for Sebastien,” he said. “And I’m really happy for Citroen. There have been so many people watching from the roadside, this is a good result for them.”

Solberg rued the stiff set-up of his C4 on the opening day, saying: “It’s a shame we lost that time in the mud - I hadn’t done any testing in those conditions. But it’s a great feeling, we’re here with another podium and it’s great for my championship chances [of third place] to finish ahead of Jari-Matti [Latvala].”

Read More: wrc.com/WRC wrap

-------------------------------

PWRC

Mitsubishi driver Armindo Araujo collected his third Production Car World Rally Championship win on the Rallye de France which ended in Strasbourg this afternoon.

The Portuguese driver has led the event since the first morning, when his chief rival on the event Hayden Paddon suffered a puncture and slipped back from the lead.

Araujo’s Ralliart Italy-prepared Lancer Evo X ran faultlessly through a shortened final day. Mindful of the two-minute lead he enjoyed from the start of this morning, the reigning Production Car champion was unwilling to take any risks and now goes to the final P-WRC round, next month’s Rally of Wales, needing just eight points to seal back-to-back titles.

“It’s been a very good rally,” said Araujo. “The condition has been tough, really tough at times, but we are here and we have the win. I am happy for that and for the way the car has run. We were about safety today.”

Estonian Ott Tanak remained in second place throughout the final day, having been elevated to the position after Anders Grondal retired after the final Saturday stage last night with two punctures on his Subaru.

Read More: wrc.com/PWRC Wrap

SWRC

Patrik Sandell has maintained his outside chances of winning the inaugural Super 2000 World Rally Championship title by clinching a dominant victory in the class on Rallye de France today.

The Swede, at the wheel of a Baumschlager Rallye & Racing Skoda Fabia, started the final day with a margin of 14 seconds over Eyvind Brynildsen after the Norwegian suffered a puncture on Saturday’s final test.

Vowing to fight back on the final day, Brynildsen had narrowed Sandell’s margin by two-tenths of a second with a faster run than the Swede managed through the first Haguenau stage on Sunday morning. But things then went dramatically awry for Brynildsen on *****e Campe when he carried too much speed into a sequence of corners, went off the road and rolled.

“I promise you it was a big push,” said Brynildsen. “And when you push at that speed things like this can happen. I knew it was impossible to beat 14 seconds but I had to try. I am more satisfied to be trying than to be second having led for two days because second is always the first loser. I was just too fast and unfortunately the car is completely destroyed.”

Despite the damage, Brynildsen limped through to finish in fifth overall.

Read More: wrc.com/SWRC Wrap

JWRC

Jeremi Ancian has taken a shock victory in the Junior World Rally Championship section of Rallye de France, which finished in Strasbourg this afternoon.

Competing as the lone wildcard entry following his selection by France’s motorsport federation, the FFSA, Ancian moved into first place when several of his key rivals suffered time-consuming punctures on Saturday’s penultimate stage.

It meant Ancian, a former adversary of ex-Junior world champion Sebastien Ogier, started Sunday’s final four stages 1m41.3s ahead of J-WRC title contender Hans Weijs Jr.

After a cautious run through the first 24.7-kilometre *****e Camp stage, Ancian’s advantage stood at 1m05.8s with two stages remaining. When the first of these, the repeat of the *****e Camp stage, was cancelled due to concerns over spectator safety, Ancian just had to get through the final 4.20-kilometre stage through the streets of Haguenau without error in order to secure victory at the wheel of his Suzuki Swift Super 1600.

“I believed in myself that I could get this result but it really was not easy because we were not always happy with the set-up of the car or the choice of the type of Pirelli tyre,” said Ancian. “

Read More: wrc.com/JWRC Wrap

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    WRC Results

Click: wrc.com/results/drivers/

Click: wrc.com/results/manufacturers

---------------------------

Next Round: RACC Rallye de Espana 22-24 Oct

or many years Spain's round of the WRC was based on the Costa Brava, north of Barcelona. But that all changed in 2005 when the event moved to the other side of the Catalan capital to a new home on the Costa Daurada, where it's remained ever since.

The event's nature hasn't changed much, however, with the wide, sweeping asphalt roads providing the fastest sealed-surface stages of the season. Racing driving techniques can pay dividends on the fast asphalt stages as drivers aim for smooth lines through the turns to maximise their speed.

The event is based in the PortAventura theme park, in the town of Salou in the Tarragona region. It's extremely popular with spectators - especially the Spanish who were weaned on years of success for double champion and 26-times rally winner Carlos Sainz.

Official Website: rallyracc.com/2010/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-17-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Sebastien Loeb Q&A

The newly crowed 2010 World Rally Champion talks after Rallye de France:

It’s every driver's dream to win a championship, you take your seventh title and win number 60 on home soil, the final stage running through your home town with thousands of people out to cheer you on, that must be a dream come true!

“Yes for sure it is in incredible feeling, and especially to win. When I arrived here, I knew that there was a possibility to win the rally, to win the championship, and all that in my hometown. So it was a great challenge, and also a big pressure, because I knew that everybody was waiting for this here, in the region. There was a lot of support, from a lot of people. The feeling was really great. It was incredible.

“I was expecting this rally to be popular, but I was very surprised to see so many people for the rally, I could not expect that there would be so many people, everywhere: on stages, on the road sections, waving in front of their house, in the service park, everywhere. And all that in a very nice atmosphere. I was really happy to see this.”

Were there tears in your eyes when you got to the end of the final stage?

“A little bit yes. Especially when I saw my friends waiting for me after the checkpoint. It was incredible, I was not able to drive fast in that stage. I tried, at the start, and then I said OK, just drive through. For sure, it was a great moment. Also in the morning, when I passed in my village, Oberhoffen (sur Moder), on the road section, all the villagers were waiting for me, it was incredible.”

What has been like competing here this weekend with all of the attention you have been receiving from the media and from the fans?

“I am not used to getting as much attention as I had here. Because there are so many people supporting me, here. I was very busy, but I tried to make it right and to stay focused on my rally. It has been great.”

Citroen also seal their sixth manufacturers crown here at home, so it’s a double celebration

“It has been a perfect event, like in Corsica in 2004, when we won both championships at the same time. Here, it is even more special because it is really at home for me. I am really happy for the team, because they did a great job all season, the car is really strong, and the difference we have to make it with the driving. It is very difficult and it is a big challenge, with Petter (Solberg), Dani (Sordo) and (Ogier). It was not an easy season and I am happy to finish it like this.”

Are you ready to fight for title number eight next year, or will you take all this in first?

“I just try to enjoy what happens at the moment, and I really enjoy.”

Click: wrc.com/Loeb Q&A

"All We'll Drive"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.