Ken Block says he was able to take plenty of positives away from Rallye Deutschland, despite his late retirement due to an alternator belt failure.
Block started the final five stages of the asphalt event in ninth overall but stopped on the road section heading to Sunday’s first test when his car’s alternator warning light came on and his Monster World Rally Team Ford Focus began to overheat.
“It’s just devastating,” said Block, who was co-driven by fellow American Alex Gelsomino. “We weren’t even out of town, no more than eight kilometres from service. It wouldn’t have been so bad had it happened going into parc ferme because I could have slept in that way. It just sucks and is the continuation of the bad luck we’ve had this season.”
Rallye Deutschland marked Block’s first WRC outing on asphalt and only his third sealed-surface start of his career.
He continued: “The drive had gone really good and we put in some good, consistent times. We were here to get a lot of experience but unfortunately our rally ended on the side of the road in Trier so for that we’re really disappointed. But before then it had gone really good. We had a pretty good pace - okay it was a long way off the top guys - but we were very happy. We made a few little mistakes on Friday but none on Saturday and had driven a really good, clean race even though we didn’t have a gravel crew to help us, which made it a big challenge. We worked hard on the notes - it’s just really misfortunate we missed out.”
Block had been on course for his first WRC career points after Saturday’s second leg. His next appearance in the world championship is scheduled for Rally de France at the end of September.
Click: wrc.com/News Ken Block