WRC Germany Aug 19-22 talk/results spoiler**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRC Germany Aug 19-22 talk/results spoiler** within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Next Round WRC Germany Aug 19-22 The second asphalt rally of the 2010 season, Rally Deutschland is held in Germany’s ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool WRC Germany Aug 19-22 talk/results spoiler**

Next Round WRC Germany Aug 19-22

The second asphalt rally of the 2010 season, Rally Deutschland is held in Germany’s wine-producing Mosel region, near to the historic city of Trier.

This may be a pure asphalt event, but it has one of the widest variety of sealed surfaces on the calendar. As such, it's a tricky rally that demands the very best from drivers.

The stage conditions are different on each day. Friday is made up of narrow and dirty vineyard access roads that feature a mix of straights and hairpins, making handbrake turn skills essential. Saturday’s stages are held on the rough concrete roads of the Baumholder military ranges, with the ever present hazard of huge concrete blocks designed to stop tanks straying from the road.

The final day features smooth, fast bitumen-coated roads and the ‘Circus Maximus’ Superspecial that runs right through the heart of Trier’s old city. All-in-all, it’s a challenging mix.

Official Website: rallye deutschland

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Citroen’s bid for an eighth victory on Rally Deutschland got off to a strong start earlier today when C4 World Rally Cars locked out the top four times at the pre-event shakedown.

The four hour test - a prelude to this weekend's rally - took place on a 5.80km asphalt road near the villages of Mesenich and Grewenich, 16km west of the Service Park in Trier. Conditions were dry and sunny throughout, with the temperature peaking at 23 degrees Celsius.

Citroen works team driver Dani Sordo shared the joint fastest time with privateer entrant Petter Solberg. Sordo, competing alongside new co-driver Diego Vallejo for the first time, completed four passes through the stage, setting his best time of 3m 39.4s on his final run.

“It felt good,” said Sordo. “Of course it’s a big change having Diego alongside me but we’ve tested for three days [in the rally car] and since then we have been driving together in a road car in Spain. It’s not the same as proper competition but this morning everything is okay. The aim for the rally is to try and get a podium. But running sixth on the road isn’t an ideal position to be in because there will be a lot of dirt on the road. If the weather stays dry that will help.”

Solberg, who started a new co-driving partnership with Chris Patterson six weeks ago, matched Sordo’s time on his fourth run. The Norwegian drove the stage five times after hitting a snag on his first pass. “The handbrake didn’t release after a hairpin and we were stationary for about 15 seconds,” he explained. “Luckily it happened today and we were able to fix it. After that we tried a few different settings, confirming what we found at our pre-event test. In the end the car feels absolutely perfect and we matched Sordo’s time. I’m happy with that.”

Seven-time Rally Deutschland winner Sebastien Loeb was the closest to Sordo and Solberg, in a time 1.3sec adrift. “The test has been okay for me, no problems,” he said. The road was fast and narrow, so always difficult, but the feeling was good and the car is perfect for the moment. We made a little change to the suspension but nothing special.”

Citroen Junior Team driver Kimi Raikkonen set the fourth fastest time, 1.9sec slower than Loeb, while Ford team-leader Mikko Hirvonen rounded off the top five as the first Focus RS WRC pilot.

ADAC Rally Deutschland gets underway on Friday 19 August at 0900hrs when crews leave the Service Park bound for the opening Ruwertal / Fell stage. Follow this link to find out how to follow the rally LIVE and FREE here on wrc.com.

Here are the Shakedown times of the leading WRC drivers:

1. SORDO. Citroen C4 WRC. 3:39.4

=1. P. SOLBERG. Citroen C4 WRC. 3:39.4

3. LOEB. Citroen C4 WRC. 3:40.7

4. RAIKKONEN. Citroen C4 WRC. 3:42.6

5. HIRVONEN. Ford Focus RS WRC 09. 3:42.7

6. DUVAL. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 3:42.8

7. OGIER. Citroen C4 WRC. 3:43.3

8. LATVALA. Ford Focus RS WRC 09. 3:44.4

9. WILSON. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 3:48.3

10. Al QASSIMI. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 3:51.4

11. BLOCK. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 3:52.2

Click: wrc.com/Germany Shakedown/News

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 1

Citroen C4 WRC driver Sebastien Loeb streaked into an early lead of ADAC Rally Deutschland by setting the fastest time on Friday's opening stage.

The Citroen team leader completed the 24.01km Ruwertal/Fell test 5.4sec quicker than his nearest rival, his team-mate Dani Sordo. Jari-Matti Latvala was third fastest in his Ford Focus RS WRC.

Petter Solberg dropped 2min 36sec to the leaders when his Citroen picked up a flat tyre. The Norwegian stopped 11.3km from the start to change the wheel.

Khalid Al Qassimi also hit problems early on. The BP Ford Abu Dhabi Team driver went off the road 1.5km from the start and had to wait for spectators to push his car out of a ditch.

J-WRC series leader Kevin Abbring retired after rolling his Renault Clio R3 13.6km from the stage start.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS1

-----------------------------------

Sebastien Loeb and Dani Sordo repeated their dominating form on Friday's second test, pulling 17.5sec clear of the chasing pack by the end of the 23km Grafschaft Veldenz.

Loeb said the roads were tricky and dusty, but reported no problems after setting the fastest time, 1.3sec quicker than his team-mate.

Also in a C4 WRC, Citroen privateer Petter Solberg was third fastest through SS2, but remained almost three minutes behind in the overall standings after his earlier tyre problem. “It happened on a long left-hander when the tyre just went off the rim,” he said. “It was very unfortunate. Now I’m pushing harder - a little too hard perhaps.”

Ford team-leader Mikko Hirvonen was fourth fastest through SS2, to hold third place overall.

Stobart team driver Henning Solberg retired 14.5km from the start line. The Norwegian’s Fiesta S2000 is thought to have suffered an electrical problem.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS2

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-20-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    thats a "cheeky" mornin smile
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Sebastien Loeb completed a clean sweep of stage wins on Friday morning by setting the fastest time through the Moselland test.

The rally leader had a trouble-free run through the 19km stage despite a damaged rear wheel on his Citroen, collected when he side-swiped a barrier on the previous stage.

Loeb’s team-mate Dani Sordo was second fastest through Moselland to hold second place overall. Petter Solberg set the third fastest stage time.

Sebastien Ogier was more than 20 seconds slower than Loeb though the stage. The Frenchman said the anti-stall system on his C4 WRC had failed, causing him to stop several times at hairpin corners.

Mikko Hirvonen lost third place to his team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala after making a mistake at a junction and stalling near the start.

Stobart team driver Francois Duval ended the morning loop in eighth place after dropping time with a transmission problem. Duval’s Ford Focus RS WRC lost front-wheel drive 5km before the end of Stage two. He completed all of SS3 with rear-wheel drive only.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS3

------------------------------

Midday Wrap
    Sebastien Loeb's bid for an eighth win on Rallye Deutschland got off to the perfect start this morning when he completed the opening loop of three stages with a lead of 8.2 seconds over his Citroen team-mate Dani Sordo.

Loeb, the six-time world rally champion, has been fastest on all stages run so far in his C4 WRC as the sun shone over the vineyard tests.

However, it hasn’t all been plain sailing for the French ace who reported glancing a barrier 500 metres from the finish of stage two, which inflicted slight damage to his car’s right rear wheel rim. After checks at the subsequent refuel area, Loeb was duly concerned.

“We broke the side of the wheel a little bit but we didn’t want to change it because doing that would have cost us a complete set of soft tyres,” explained Loeb. “So we kept it on and that turned out to be the right choice. With three fastest times it’s been a good start for us. The feeling in the car is okay, but Dani is pushing hard.”

Sordo has enjoyed a strong run alongside new co-driver Diego Vallejo and is 28.8s clear of third-placed Jari-Matti Latvala. “With every stage it’s getting better and better,” said Sordo of his new partnership. “The first stage was a little complicated for us both but we picked up our pace in the second and now I’m really happy the way it’s working. Now I’m feeling confident.”

Works Ford team driver Latvala moved into third when team-mate Mikko Hirvonen ran wide on a corner and stalled the engine of his Focus. Hirvonen said: “It’s been okay, I just haven’t got a good rhythm yet. Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes I’m too cautions. I stalled in the last stage but apart from that it’s been alright. We are closer [to the Citroens] than in Bulgaria, for sure, but there’s still more to come. It’s going in the right direction. We’ll make no major changes in service, I’m happy with the car. But I need to work on the confidence - and that’s in my head.”

Fifth-placed Sebastien Ogier was hampered by a problem with his C4’s anti-stall system and lost time as a result. Briton Matthew Wilson completes the top six in his Focus despite a mistake near the start of the stage.

Francois Duval, who is making his return to the WRC after two seasons, suffered a loss of front-wheel drive five kilometres from the finish of stage two. As a result he had to complete the test and the subsequent 19.92-kilometre stage on rear-wheel drive only.

Petter Solberg’s hopes of a podium finish suffered a blow when he stopped to change his deflated right-rear tyre 11.3 kilometres into stage one, where Khalid Al Qassimi and Ken Block also hit trouble. Al Qassimi slid into a ditch 1.5 kilometres from the start while Block, starting only his third asphalt rally, stalled at a junction.

Martin Prokop led the Super 2000 World Rally Championship after the first three stages, with the Czech driver hovering on the fringes of the top 10 overall in his Ford Fiesta S2000. Prokop has made the perfect start to the event, albeit with a couple of moments on the second test. Patrik Sandell is second S-WRC, the Swede demoting his countryman P-G Andersson to third on SS2. Andersson remains third at lunchtime service.

One man not so happy with his start is S-WRC series leader Xevi Pons. The Spaniard has struggled to match the pace of the cars ahead after damaging his right-rear suspension on the opening stage.

Reigning P-WRC champion Armindo Aruajo (Mitubishi) leads the conventional Group N cars, with New Zealander Haydon Paddon pushing his Pirelli Star Driver Lancer into an impressive second place early in the event. Top Swede Patrik Flodin was also in close attendance in his Subaru.

The opening morning’s competition was temporarily halted when J-WRC ace Kevin Abbring crashed his Renault off the road. The Dutch Clio was reported to have to have rolled out of the first stage this morning, with both Abbring and his co-driver emerging unscathed.

Thierry Neuville, winner of the previous J-WRC round in Bulgaria, predicted a strong challenge from Abbring’s team-mate Hans Weijs Jr in Germany, and so it transpired as Weijs’ Citroen posted fastest time on SS2, taking six seconds out of Neuville.

Click: wrc.com/Friday Midday Wrap

--------------------------
    SS5

Rallye Deutschland leader Sebastien Loeb was the stage winner on stage five to extend his advantage over team-mate Dani Sordo to double figures.

Loeb was quicker than Sordo through the repeated Grafschaft Veldenz test by 1.5sec, giving him an overall lead of 10.2sec. Behind Sordo however, the gap to third placed Jari-Matti Latvala widened to almost one minute.

A fourth fastest time from Citroen junior team driver Sebastien Ogier was enough to move him to fourth in the overall standings, at the expense of Jari-Matti Latvala who slipped to fifth.

Click:wrc.com/News/SS5

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    End of Day 1
    SS6

Dani Sordo rounded off a successful first day of competition alongside co-driver Diego Vallejo by setting the fastest time through Friday&rsquo;s final stage.

The Spanish pair completed the repeated Moselland test in 12min 1sec - eight seconds better than their earlier time on stage three. The stage win means Sordo ends the opening day of Rally Deutschland in second place, 9.5sec adrift of overnight leader Sebastien Loeb.

But the stage brought further disappointment for another of the Citroen C4 WRC drivers. Two stages after Petter Solberg’s all-or-nothing approach netted him a stage win, the Norwegian dropped another two minutes when he went wide on a left-hand corner, clouted a kerb and broke a wheel. Solberg owned up to a driving error and said he had been two seconds quicker than Loeb at the previous split.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS6

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-20-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Thanks for the updates! Petter might get overtaken by Ken Block!
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXelent View Post
    Thanks for the updates! Petter might get overtaken by Ken Block!
    doubt it
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Friday Wrap

Sebastien Loeb will take a 9.5-second lead into day two of Rallye Deutschland although the reigning world champion admits the gap might not be enough to keep Citroen team-mate Dani Sordo at bay.

The Spaniard has been a consistent threat to Loeb through Friday’s six stages and went faster than the Frenchman on the final stage of the day, the repeat of the 19.92-kilometre Moselland test.

“It’s been a good day for sure but it’s not been easy and I have been really pushing because first Petter was fast and then it was Dani,” said Loeb. “I have to continue this way tomorrow if I am to win.”

Sordo, back in the main Citroen team after contesting Rally Finland with the company’s Junior squad, said he had been full of confidence throughout the day. “My times have been consistent and it’s nice to be close to Sebastien,” said Sordo. “But the most important thing is to take as many points as possible for the manufacturers’ championship.”

Jari-Matti Latvala is the leading works Ford driver in third overall and was satisfied with the progress made since the last asphalt round in Bulgaria back in early July.

“I’ve made progress since Bulgaria and that is important,” said the Rally Finland winner. “I’ve not made any major errors but the small ones have cost some time.”

With the anti-stall problem that slowed him this morning resolved, Sebastien Ogier was able to climb ahead of Mikko Hirvonen for fourth after going faster than the Finn on stage five. Ogier said he was satisfied with his performance but Hirvonen admitted that he needs to find more speed on day two in the second factory Ford.

Francois Duval completes the top six on his return to the WRC for the first time since 2008. The Belgian could have been higher up the leaderboard but for a broken front-right driveshaft five kilometres from the finish of stage two, which left his Focus on rear-wheel drive only.

“It’s good that this is a long rally as it can hopefully allow me to catch up on the others after a bad start,” said Duval, who lost almost a minute on Friday morning.

Matthew Wilson is seventh, 4.7s behind Duval, after overcoming understeer and brake problems earlier in the day.

Ex-Formula One world champion Kimi Raikkonen is eighth in his Citroen Junior Team C4 with Petter Solberg ninth after a fraught day. The Norwegian suffered a deflated tyre on the opening stage and in his efforts to make up the lost time he carried too much speed into a left-hander on stage six and broke his right-rear wheel rim against a kerb, which prompted a second wheel change.

“It’s been an up and down day,” said Solberg. “The car has been very good and we showed our speed by going fastest on stage five. Unfortunately we overshot a junction on stage four and then had the problem with the wheel on stage six.”

Ken Block completes the top 10 in his Monster World Rally Team Focus on only his third asphalt rally and his first at world championship level.

Click: wrc.com/Friday Wrap

-----------------------

SWRC Wrap

The battle for honours in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship is tightly poised following the opening day of action on ADAC Rallye Deutschland.

Martin Prokop, at the wheel of a Ford Fiesta S2000, leads the category but his advantage over P-G Andersson is a slender 5.7 seconds heading into day two of the all-asphalt contest.

Prokop has held the class lead throughout the day but after surviving three spins in the morning, Andersson was the man to watch in the afternoon by completing the final two stages as the fastest S-WRC runner as Prokop suffered a scare of his own.

Click: wrc.com/SWRC Wrap

-------------------------

JWRC Wrap

Hans Weijs Jr reported a "perfect day" after completing the opening six stages of Rallye Deutschland with a 2m15s lead in the Junior World Rally Championship.

But many of his class rivals could only recount stories of woe after an incident-packed day on the challenging asphalt event.

After snatching the lead from Thierry Neuville on stage two, Weijs hadn’t put a wheel wrong in his Citroen C2 Super 1600 until the final test when he was distracted by his car’s instrument display and momentarily left the road on a right-hander...

Click: wrc.com/JWRC Wrap

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Day 2

Rally Deutschland overnight leader Sebastien Loeb maintained his dominant pace on Saturday's opener, setting the fastest time through SS7 with team-mate Dani Sordo his closest challenger.

Heading to stage eight, Loeb’s overall lead over Sordo was exactly 10 seconds.

In continued dry and sunny conditions, all WRC drivers selected soft compound Pirelli PZero tyres with one spare for the opening three stages. Petter Solberg elected to run the same soft compound tyres he ran during shakedown.

Many drivers admitted to an overly cautious approach through the three gravel sections on the 11km stage - especially the final two kilometres.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS7

-----------------------------

Dani Sordo kept the pressure on his team-mate Sebastien Loeb by setting the fastest time through the 16km St. Wender Land test.

Sordo, competing for the first time with new co-driver Diego Vallejo, narrowed the gap to rally leader Loeb from 10sec to 7.3sec.

At the end of Friday’s competition, Citroen team boss Olivier Quesnel said he wouldn’t prevent his drivers battling one another today. At the stage end Loeb acknowledged that he was pushing flat-out in an effort to keep Sordo behind.

Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala was third quickest through the stage to remain third overall, 1min 17sec behind the dueling Citroens.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS8

The nip and tuck battle for the lead between Citroen drivers Sebastien Loeb and Dani Sordo swung back in Loeb's favour on SS9, when the Frenchman clawed back all the time lost to his team-mate on the previous test.

At the stage end, Loeb admitted he had made a few mistakes, and had slid off the racing line on some of the gravel sections as he pushed hard to keep Sordo at bay.

Sordo was Loeb's closest challenger, completing the 17.50km stage 3.5sec slower. Petter Solberg was third quickest, 6.6sec off Sordo’s time.

Jari-Matti Latvala, third in the overall standings, slipped another 10 seconds behind Loeb. “We just can’t match their speed in the dirty corners. I think that’s where I’m losing the time” said Latvala.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS9

"All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Jari-Matti Latvala lost third place on Rallye Deutschland after he spun off the road during the 48km Panzerplatte - the longest stage in the World Championship.

Latvala blamed his pace notes for the high-speed spin, which occurred 10km before the finish on a long left-hand corner.

The Finn was lucky to avoid hitting anything as his Ford Focus pirouetted across a grassy area, but he had to reverse several times before he could get back on the road. He dropped to fourth in the overall standings, 8.9sec behind Sebastien Ogier who moved up to third.

Topping the timesheet, Sebastien Loeb took a dominating stage win and more than doubled his rally lead over Dani Sordo to 23 seconds. Petter Solberg was Loeb’s closest rival through SS9, while Sordo set the third fastest time.

Citroen Junior team driver Kimi Raikkonen completed the stage with his car’s rear suspension at less than 100 per cent. A left-hand anti-roll-bar link broke near the end of SS9 and couldn’t be fixed at the pre-stage 15-minute remote service.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS10

-------------------------------

Sebastien Loeb's lead of Rally Deutschland got a good deal more secure on SS11 after his closest rival, team-mate Dani Sordo, abandoned his fight for victory.

Sordo completed the 11km Hermeskeil / Gusenburg stage in only the sixth fastest time - 3.5sec slower than Loeb.

At the stage end, Sordo conceded that the latest instructions from his Citroen team were to secure a one-two finish. “We’ve got to finish second,” he said. “It’s important we get both cars to the end.”

The stage was won by Citroen privateer Petter Solberg, who was 1.1sec quicker than Loeb.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS11

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-21-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Ford team-leader Mikko Hirvonen's difficult time on Rally Deutschland continued on SS13, when the Finn retired 14km from the start line with a transmission problem.

Hirvonen began the stage fifth overall, 2min 27sec off the leaders and 16sec behind his team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala. But at a hairpin corner 3.5km before the finish line, the Finn’s Ford Focus RS WRC rolled to a stop after losing all drive.

Hirvonen and co-driver Jarmo Lehtinen tried to fix the problem but were soon forced to admit defeat and retire from today’s competition.

At the head of the field, Citroen works team drivers Sebastien Loeb and Dani Sordo continued their dominant form, taking the two fastest times on SS12 and SS13.

Sordo was quicker than Loeb on both occasions, but the Spaniard denied he had resumed the fight with his team-mate. “I’m still out for second place, but keeping the speed up helps me stay concentrated,” he explained. Heading to the remote service before Panzerplatte, Loeb’s overall lead stood at 23.1sec.

Stobart Ford team driver Francois Duval reported a high water temperature and lack of turbo boost during the stage. As a result of Hirvonen’s exit, however, the Belgian moved up to fifth.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS13

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    End of Day2

Francois Duval's second day on Rally Deutschland came to a premature end on SS14 when a crash left his Stobart team Ford Focus RS WRC on its roof.

The Belgian, making a return to the WRC after two years away, slid wide and rolled at a right-hand corner 6.5km from the end of the 48km Panzerplatte - the longest stage of the season. Duval and co-driver Denis Giraudet were shaken but escaped serious injury.

Duval’s exit promoted Petter Solberg into fifth. The Norwegian, who was 53rd on stage one after stopping to change a wheel, also celebrate a fastest stage time 8.4seconds quicker than rally leader Sebastien Loeb.

Loeb and Dani Sordo completed the stage cleanly to hold their first and second places respectively. Loeb will take a 35.7sec advantage into Sunday’s competition. Sebastien Ogier clipped a pole close to the end of Panzerplatte but holds third, 1min 31.4sec behind Sordo.

Click: wrc.com/News/SS14

------------------------------

Saturday Wrap

Sebastien Loeb is five stages away from winning Rallye Deutschland for an eighth time after completing day two of the World Rally Championship qualifier with a lead of 35.7 seconds over factory Citroen team-mate Dani Sordo.

The 36-year-old from France has never been beaten on Germany’s all-asphalt event since it joined the WRC schedule in 2002. That run looks set to continue when the rally draws to a close in Trier tomorrow afternoon.

Loeb was fastest on three of Saturday’s eight stages in his Citroen C4 WRC. Although Sordo drew close when he edged Loeb on the day’s second test, Loeb was able to pull clear with a measured drive through the daunting 48-kilometre Panzerplatte stage, the 10th of the rally.

He maintained his advantage throughout the afternoon’s four tests, which included a repeat of the Panzerplatte run and were held in baking sunshine. Such has been Loeb’s dominance, he even found the time to experiment with his tyre choice by running the soft compound Pirelli PZero tyre on the first three stages of Saturday afternoon, even though the rubber is more commonly used in cool and damp conditions.

“We just wanted to see how the tyre was and really it was just the same, very good in fact,” said Loeb. “My lead is more than it was in the morning and for that reason I am happy tonight but I know there is still a long way to go and anything can happen.”

Sordo, who posted the fastest time on three stages today, was satisfied with his performance but was slightly frustrated that he hadn’t been allowed to fight his team leader for victory.

“I drove to the same splits as Sebastien and it’s frustrating I cannot do more but I have to finish the rally in a good position,” said Sordo.

Jari-Matti Latvala started the day in third overall in his factory Focus but dropped to fourth behind Sebastien Ogier when he spun on the first Panzerplatte stage. He admitted catching Ogier on the final day of the rally would be a tall order, adding: “When there is distance there is hope and I have not given up but it’s going to be very difficult to catch Ogier. He is very fast and I don’t think I can go any faster.”

While Latvala remains on course for a strong haul of points, his team-mate Mikko Hirvonen faces the prospect of restarting on Sunday under SupeRally regulations after his Focus suffered transmission failure a handful of kilometres from the end of stage 13.

Hirvonen’s misfortune promoted Francois Duval to fifth, even though the Belgian had problems of his own to contend with. His Focus lost turbo pressure five kilometres from the end of stage 13 and he also reported his car’s water temperature was high.

But things got a lot worse for Duval when he rolled seven kilometres from the end of stage 14 after he took a right-hander too quickly. Reports suggest Duval and co-driver Denis Giraudet suffered bruising and had been taken to hospital for checks.

Petter Solberg’s C4 also required extra maintenance at the remote service on Saturday afternoon. The Norwegian privateer had cut a right-hander too tightly on stage 12, bending his car’s steering in the process and leading to a sluggish time through the day’s penultimate stage. But his mechanics were able to rectify the damage and he repaid their hard work by going fastest of all on the second run through Arena Panzerplatte.

Kimi Raikkonen is sixth overnight despite losing time with an overshoot on stage nine and a broken right-rear anti-roll bar link, which he had to nurse throughout stage 10. Matthew Wilson is seventh overnight, one place ahead of Hirvonen, who is classified in eighth. Ken Block and Dutch privateer Mark van Eldik complete the top 10.

Click: wrc.com/Saturday Wrap

---------------------------

fingers crossed Ken finishes in top 10

MWRT Blog: MWRT/blog

----------------------------

Ford remains adamant that it is not going to switch tactics this year, despite Mikko Hirvonen's transmission problem on the penultimate stage today ruling him out of this year's title race.

In order to stand even a mathematical chance of claiming the title that he missed out on by just one point last year, Hirvonen needs to finish the Rallye Deutschland in at least seventh place tomorrow.

He is virtually certain to re-start on Sunday under the SuperRally rules, but the 10 minute penalty that he will incur for failing to complete two stages today is set to be too much time for him to make up over tomorrow’s five tests.

Jari-Matti Latvala, currently third in the championship standings - 61 points behind the leader Sebastien Loeb - is the only Ford driver who can now take the title. But team principal Malcolm Wilson says that Latvala is not going to graduate to number one status for the rest of this season, with Hirvonen assuming a supporting role.

“What we’ve done this year has worked very well, so we’re not going to change anything at all,” he said. “I think Jari-Matti has felt the benefit, and our focus is the manufacturers’ title. You’re not going to see any of our drivers letting the other past or anything like that.”

Ford currently has a 55-point deficit to Citroen in the constructors’ rankings, with four rallies left to go after Germany.

Gerard Quinn, Ford’s senior motorsport manager, added: “Mikko’s obviously going to be disappointed but there are a lot of positives that he can take away from this season. He’s stepped up to the number one role brilliantly, and to come back here from the huge accident he had in Finland also shows the strength of his character.”

Hirvonen was running fifth overall, 16 seconds behind his team mate, when he went out on SS13.

Click: wrc.com/News Ford Hirvonen

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-21-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    PWRC Wrap

Armindo Araujo's bid to defend his Production Car World Rally Championship title remains on track following the completion of day two of Rallye Deutschland.

The Portuguese was fastest on four of today’s eight stages and starts Sunday’s final leg with a 23.8s lead over New Zealander Hayden Paddon.

However, it wasn’t an entirely trouble-free day for Araujo. He lost 10 seconds overshooting a junction on Saturday’s opener before spinning on a long left corner on stage 10.

Click: wrc.com/PWRC Saturday

------------------------
    SWRC Wrap

Just 5.8 seconds separate the top three drivers in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship ahead of the third and final day of Rallye Deutschland - with P-G Andersson leading the charge.

Andersson moved to the front of the S-WRC field in the day’s third stage, elbowing his way past Martin Prokop’s Ford Fiesta.

As the event moved into the Baumholder military training area - and the infamous Panzerplatte stage - a Fabia was clearly the car to have, and preferably a Swedish Skoda; the Czech machines were fastest on all-but one stage through the second day.

Click: wrc.com/SWRC Saturday

---------------------------

JWRC Wrap

Hans Weijs Jr insists he can't afford to reduce his pace on the final day of Rallye Deutschland, even though he heads the J-WRC category by more than five minutes following another impressive display at the wheel of his Citroen C2 Super 1600.

Weijs Jr began day two 2m15s in front of Yeray Lemes only for the Canary Islander to hit trouble on stage eight when he slid off into a ditch 20 metres from the finish of stage eight. It took nine minutes for Lemes and co-driver Rogelio Penate to regain the road and handed Weijs a seemingly unassailable advantage.

Click: wrc.com/JWRC Saturday

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-21-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast