First Time at the Drag Strip - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Time at the Drag Strip within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Water expands roughly 1500x when vaporized at atmospheric pressures. I'm a boiler house operator we also know relationships of fire, ...

Correction

Water expands roughly 1500x when vaporized at atmospheric pressures. I'm a boiler house operator we also know relationships of fire, water, and steam.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kore1986 View Post
    Water expands roughly 1500x when vaporized at atmospheric pressures. I'm a boiler house operator we also know relationships of fire, water, and steam.
    I don't know where 70 came from... it's 1700. I glanced at some of my old teaching material. Thanks for the correction
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i dont think i would have the balls to spray any amount of alcohol mixed with anything anywhere near the motor of a car
    In physics class our professor mixed a ratio of isopropyl and water to a point where he could dip a 20 dollar bill in it, light it on fire, and the alcohol would burn but the water prevented the 20 dollar bill from burning. That was pretty cool to watch
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Keep as little gas in it as possible to save weight

Take out all unnecessary weight - especially the spare tire

AVOID THE BURNOUT PUDDLE

Slip the clutch... don't dump it unless you want to be towed home with broken gears.

Keep the intercooler as COLD as possible.. dump ice on it if you can.

The longer you idle waiting in line... the hotter your intercooler will get. Turn it off and push it through the line if you have to.

Hope this helps
    I personally drive right through the water box. Running a vf34 on a 2.0l swapped rs. I had problems with bogging off the line. Once I went full throttle off the launch limiter set at 5k I was able to get just enough spin to cut a 1.8 60'. Unfortunatley that was my second to last run and I missed second gear on my last run before they closed. I think I could get a little better but the water was pretty key for me. Then again I do run summer tires that are sticky.

One thing you have to watch for with driving through the water box is dragging water in the grooves of your street tires too close to the starting line. It may not be bad for you or your performance, but it is drag racing etiquette and there are reasons these are put in place. That is just a no-no.
    On the outside chance you get some jacka$$ like me driving behind you, and I stuff my pig into the wall because there was water drug up to the starting line by the car before me, I will be none too pleased. If I am not on my way to the ER in a meat wagon, I will come and visit you at your pit. We will have "speaks".

If you do drive through the water, you MUST burn it off in a burnout before rolling to the starting line. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    One thing you have to watch for with driving through the water box is dragging water in the grooves of your street tires too close to the starting line. It may not be bad for you or your performance, but it is drag racing etiquette and there are reasons these are put in place. That is just a no-no.
    On the outside chance you get some jacka$$ like me driving behind you, and I stuff my pig into the wall because there was water drug up to the starting line by the car before me, I will be none too pleased. If I am not on my way to the ER in a meat wagon, I will come and visit you at your pit. We will have "speaks".

If you do drive through the water, you MUST burn it off in a burnout before rolling to the starting line. Thanks.
    If you can't control your car then that wouldn't be my problem. No one seemed to magically loose control from me doing this all night so I'm guessing you're looking way to far into this.

Well, I am just stating common decencies of drag racing etiquette. I am certainly not trying to start a fight here. But if you see me in the staging lanes right behind you, DO NOT DRAG YOUR WATER TO THE STARTING LINE!

And since I drag race for a living, I am quite sure I am not looking too far into this.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 08-16-2010 at 10:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    zing
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    If you can't control your car then that wouldn't be my problem. No one seemed to magically loose control from me doing this all night so I'm guessing you're looking way to far into this.
    I think it's is a very different game when you drag professionally in a 6 second funny car. Dangerous as well.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well, I am just stating common decencies of drag racing etiquette. I am certainly not trying to start a fight here. But if you see me in the staging lanes right behind you, DO NOT DRAG YOUR WATER TO THE STARTING LINE!

And since I drag race for a living, I am quite sure I am not looking too far into this.
    Uhh....for starters drag cars like yours certainly do not follow up behind me on a typical grudge night.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I think it's is a very different game when you drag professionally in a 6 second funny car. Dangerous as well.
    If I had a 6 second rs it would be a different story.

i bet i could smoke that funny car in my limited 4eat wrx
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i bet i could smoke that funny car in my limited 4eat wrx
    You are probably right. I am not a very good driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Uhh....for starters drag cars like yours certainly do not follow up behind me on a typical grudge night.
    I am not the typical guy. In one year I ran 316 passes on my alcohol funny car testing everything under the sun. 304 of those passes were all on Friday and Saturday night grudge races where I would simply enter the same bracket race as you would. Nothing like giving a guy an 11 second head start.

But no matter who is behind you, you need to give them the common decency of letting them have the traction they want at the starting line. No matter if it is 200 horsepower or 2000.

I am not the typical guy. In one year I ran 316 passes on my alcohol funny car testing everything under the sun. 304 of those passes were all on Friday and Saturday night grudge races where I would simply enter the same bracket race as you would. Nothing like giving a guy an 11 second head start.

But no matter who is behind you, you need to give them the common decency of letting them have the traction they want at the starting line. No matter if it is 200 horsepower or 2000.
    I don't know what track you go to but around here they practice safety. A car like yours on a test and tune night will only run against a car that is running the same times. If they are the only ones even close to that time they run by themselves. Same with the midget dragsters. They do the same with all the cars. You guess what you run and they group you in the same area. I ran to fast and they changed my staging lane to fit in with all the 12 second cars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast