burnouts and drifting
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on burnouts and drifting within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is it true that you cannot to burnouts and drift in a subaru...

burnouts and drifting

Is it true that you cannot to burnouts and drift in a subaru

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can, the question is should you be doing it....

why shouldnt i? i do it in the winter when its slippery but if i pull the handbrake what wheels would spin

I'll ask that back... If you pulled the e-brake, what wheels would spin? And then think about that really hard and ask yourself if that would be healthy for an all wheel drive vehicle.

Not trying to be a ****, I promise.

And welcome to the site!

thank you!

and the car breaks down eventually so why not

Because why would you help it break down instead of taking care of it like you should?

True..but whats the point of buying an sti

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Total waste of tires and money. Enjoy the expensive repairs that come with what you're wanting to do.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Someones conceptions of what the STi is built for are a little skewed....

The STi has an electromagnetically controlled center diff which can hold up better than other Subaru's to harsh torque differences such as in drifting and doing doughnuts, but if you did them in a WRX or regular Impreza, you'd be finding yourself looking into new options for center diff's in no time.

And as stated, it's a complete waste of tires and money in repair costs.

You can build an STi to be capable of doing those kinds of activities all day long, but they are not designed for it from the factory. No car is, and that's a glaring misconception you may want to correct in yourself.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by stiandysti View Post
    True..but whats the point of buying an sti

Seriously, cars aren't really built to go sideways. That's why the wheels don't spin in that direction. Nothing about them is designed for that. You greatly accelerate metal fatigue and part wear by driving your vehicle in ways that it wasn't designed to handle. Every time you start applying stresses that the vehicle isn't capable of sustaining, you add more fatigue to the parts. For example, a WRX 5MT transmission isn't capable of sustaining high amounts of power, and that's why the STI uses a stronger 6MT.

"Drifting" and "burnouts" are also stunts, not driving. They're things that should only be performed by skilled and trained people with a vehicle designed to accommodate this need, and typically with a safety crew standing by in case something goes wrong. I can't count the number of times I've seen, read, or heard about some cartard showboating in their <insert vehicle here> and end up running off the road, rolling, planting it into a wall/phone post/other car/pedestrian. At best it's a bad idea, at worst it's downright irresponsible and dangerous.

That said, it's your car, so feel free to drift and burnout as much as you like. Be prepared to invest in the body/frame/suspension/transmission/engine repairs that you'll likely need to make, though.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

Listen. I wouldnt be doing any of these activities if i knew i couldnt do them! I just started rally racing and nothings been going wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    In what series are you participating?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Listen. I wouldnt be doing any of these activities if i knew i couldnt do them! I just started rally racing and nothings been going wrong
    No offense, but I've heard that a lot too, or some variation thereof. But if you're doing true rally racing, then I'll assume you've got a 5-point harness and a roll cage installed, and you only do this while wearing a helmet and other proper safety gear, with a safety crew on standby. Again, it's your car, do with it as you will, but be safe.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    And that's why you're asking questions about it? Because you know you're able to?

See you in a few weeks when something gives.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    You say that you rally race...yet are unsure and un-aware of the driving characteristics and potential of a Subaru WRX/STi, I shouldn't even have to point out the oddness of that.

The stress on a cars power-train and suspension components is far greater on a surface providing more resistance via friction and traction (aka pavement/tarmac). As you reduce surface friction (aka loose gravel, dirt and snow) the stress on power-train and suspension components decreases in relationship to friction and traction. But again, I'm not going to sit here and recommend driving in said ways unless you have sufficient funds to fix broken parts. Can you put her sideways and burnout? Sure can! Is it recommended? In most cases probably not.

And it is important to point out, especially if you really are racing in rally that with the power of the AWD system and proper driving technique; you should rarely have to use your e-brake to lock up your rear wheels in order to execute and turn or corner greater than a hairpin. If you are using proper throttle, steering and brake control, 6-7 times out of 10 you wont have to engage the e-brake. You are not in a FWD vehicle...AWD is your friend.

And plenty of people buy a WRX/STi for many many many more reasons than to solely do "Madd Sik donuts and Driftz and **** yo" If you think otherwise...well sorry bud you're just another jackass.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast