Subaru releases 2011 rally cars at X-Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru releases 2011 rally cars at X-Games within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Subaru has pulled back the sheets on the company's newest breed of rally heathens. Built by Vermont SportsCar, the all-wheel ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Subaru releases 2011 rally cars at X-Games

Subaru has pulled back the sheets on the company's newest breed of rally heathens. Built by Vermont SportsCar, the all-wheel drive bruisers will be piloted by the likes of Travis Pastrana and Sverre Isachsen at this year's X Games.

The tuning house started with a bone-stock 2011 WRX STI before gutting the interior, seam-welding the entire chassis and stitching in a full roll cage. The stock gas tank was scrapped for a rally-legal fuel cell, and a fire-suppression system installed in case things go fricassee. Down below, a set of EXE-TC adjustable coilovers were swapped for the stock bits to help the car tackle the varied course of X Games 16.

The speed gurus at Vermont SportsCar managed to yank a full 500 screaming ponies and 560 pound-feet of twist from the turbo 2.0-liter flat four under the hood, even with a 45 mm restrictor plate in place. Not too shabby. The fire-breathing mill is laced with an anti-lag system as well as launch control and bolted to a five-speed dog box transmission. The stock electronically adjustable center differential remains in place, though boasts a more advanced controller.

The X Games is debuting a new rally feature this year. Called SuperRally, the track pits four cars against one another simultaneously. Subaru is hoping the new car will help the company fend off competition in the new event.

----------------------

Subaru Press Release:

Subaru Rally Team USA Debuts New 2011 Rally Cars at Speed with X Games Stars Travis Pastrana and Dave Mirra
    -- Cars will compete this Saturday at X Games 16 --
    -- Drivers Travis Pastrana, Dave Mirra and Sverre Isachsen pilot new 500-plus HP Subaru STI Rally Cars

CHERRY HILL, N.J., July 29 -- Subaru Rally Team USA unveiled its new 2011 Impreza WRX STI rally cars to journalists in dramatic fashion at the Pala Raceway in Pala, California. The team provided full speed ride-alongs to journalists during practice for the ESPN Summer X Games 16. Travis Pastrana, Dave Mirra and new teammate, European Rallycross Champion Sverre Isachsen, demonstrated that they were ready for the SuperRally X Game competitions, being held at the Los Angeles Coliseum on Saturday, July 31st.

"The team has worked very hard to get these vehicles ready for the X Games," said Pastrana. "The competition is going to be tough but I am confident that our STIs will be the cars to beat."

The team's technical partner, Vermont SportsCar, first began with a stock 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI right off the showroom floor. The car's interior was then stripped bare and the shell lightened then fully seam welded for added strength. A multipoint roll cage, manufactured from T45 steel, was then welded into place.

Major differences from the stock STI include the addition of a competition fuel cell -- which keeps race fuel contained within a flexible Kevlar bag tank -- and lightweight carbon/Kevlar RECARO SPA ProRacer competition seats (w/HANS- Head and Neck Restraint System). Other interior additions include a custom STI dashboard, carbon fiber door panels, a Coralba C-Giant Rally Odometer, and an onboard Fire Suppression System.

The stock dampers are swapped out for heavy-duty rally dampers made by EXE-TC competition suspension. The rally dampers are fully adjustable and are built to take the abuse that off-road gravel rallying entails. Under the hood sits a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder, turbocharged and intercooled STI engine running VP Racing fuel and producing in excess of 500 horsepower and 560 lb/ft of torque (running with 45mm restrictor for X Games). The clutch is a high performance-racing clutch provided by EXedy. Launch control, a turbo anti-lag system and a hydraulic handbrake are just a few of the features at the driver's disposal.

A 5-speed, close-ratio dog-engagement gearbox is used, which allows Subaru Rally Team USA drivers to shift without depressing the clutch. The DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) is similar to the system in a stock STI street car, but with a competition ECU for the differential, which allows for greater control of the torque delivery between all four wheels.

The exterior of the car remains close to stock, with the simple addition of mud flaps and a 1/4-inch aluminum skid plate. A roof-mounted carbon fiber air scoop aids in cooling the ****pit and the stock rear wing is replaced with a larger vertically slotted wing, which greatly improves down force to the rear of the car, even as it slides sideways. Lastly, auxiliary HID driving lights, made by Vision-X and housed in carbon fiber light pod, are fitted for night rallying.

"Learning a new car can be a challenge," Isachsen said, "but having seen the result of the Subaru team's preparations and practiced in my STI, I am very much looking forward to driving in the X Games SuperRally. Though the ERC (European Rally Championship) is somewhat different from SuperRally, I think my experience will place me in a competitive position for this event."

The SRT USA will again compete in the Rally Car competition, which they have won 9 out of the 13 possible medals in the past 4 years. The event features two rally cars at a time running on a stadium based parallel course. New for this year X Games will debut SuperRally, which is based on the European Rallycross. SuperRally features direct head-to-head competition with four cars at a time on a tight dirt course within the massive LA Coliseum, in downtown Los Angeles. The new format should prove especially exciting for America fans as the rally cars will bump, jump and slide together in a furious sprint of just a few short laps.

Subaru.com/Rally will post daily updates on the progress of Subaru Rally Team USA throughout X Games weekend.

Click: autoblog.com/2010/07/29/subaru-releases-2011-rally-cars-at-x-games/

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Damn, that thing's got some serious suspension travel.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    X Games 16 Preview: Autoblog rides shotgun with the stars of Rally Car [w/video]

It was just a short time ago five years, to be exact that rallying was introduced as a competition in the X Games. The first event started out in spectacular fashion, with Travis Pastrana beating out the late Colin McRae after the former World Rally Championship winner rolled his car with just a few turns to go.

Since then, the competition has become stronger and car manufacturers have increased their involvement as interest in the sport has increased thanks to ESPN's mainstream audience. This year looks to be one of the most exciting events yet with a host of new cars, new drivers, new rules and even a new event. Follow the jump to learn about what to expect for this year's X Games 16 and what it's like to ride shotgun in a 500-horsepower rally car.

What's new for X Games 16

Perhaps the most exciting news for rally at X Games 16 this year is the introduction of SuperRally. Extremely popular in Europe, this event pits four rally drivers against each other for a wheel-to-wheel race on the course. Twelve drivers will complete individual time trial sessions to qualify for the three elimination groups, each of which competes in a heat race to determine the four cars to race in the final. Given the sideways nature of rally racing, we fully expect there to be plenty of paint trading.

Another change includes a new venue. The rally events will be held at the legendary L.A. Coliseum instead of the Home Depot Center, and the course will be purely dirt. The track looks to be somewhat tighter than last year, but thankfully a jump remains as part of the course.

Finally, technical changes allow fewer restrictions to the engines of the rally cars, many of which will now be putting out more than 500 horsepower. The main difference in performance will be the size of the restrictor for the turbocharger, which is 45mm compared to the normal 34mm dictated by the Rally America Open Class.

Click Read More/Pics/Video : autoblog/X Games/Preview

Last edited by Weasel 555; 07-31-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I thought the newer Subaru's came with a 2.5L here in the USA. In Japan I think they come with the 2.0L. Am I wrong about this?

Either way these X-Games are going to be fun to watch.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I thought the newer Subaru's came with a 2.5L here in the USA. In Japan I think they come with the 2.0L. Am I wrong about this?.
    your correct.

the usual cars they prep for rallying are Group N 2.0T cars hence reason the car mentioned above has 2.0T
    PWRC Car Info:
    http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/PWR...machine.html#4

obviously the x-games car has a larger restrictor and more tuning for x-games as noted in the 1st couple of posts than the regular Rally America series car.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    X Games 16: Rally practice day reveals new challenges

The practice day for the X Games 16 Rally competitors is in the books, and despite plenty of preparation the teams face some unexpected challenges at the new venue. The drivers first took to the makeshift dirt track at the L.A. Coliseum early yesterday afternoon and quickly found that the setup isn't ideally suited to automobiles - or at least anything with bumpers. The course features two major elevation changes, going up and out of the stadium and then back in again, and nearly all of the drivers are having difficulty with the latter. The entrance back into the stadium is so steep that drivers are forced to either come in extremely slowly or catch air and plow the front end of the car into the dirt. To make matters worse, an uneven track surface at the bottom of the descent causes the cars to go airborne again. It may be fun to watch, but it's undoubtedly frustrating for the drivers.

Interestingly, the one feature of the track that usually gives the drivers trouble - the jump - is no problem at all. Most drivers initially seemed cautious before making their practice runs, but they quickly realized that not too much speed is needed, and soon thereafter they were easily clearing the gap on every lap.

Overall, the current track layout at the new venue is disappointing. The course is essentially one large loop featuring all right turns, with the two elevation changes and the jump thrown in. Much of the course is fairly narrow as well, which will make the SuperRally either very boring (no passing) or very interesting (lots of bumping and crashing). We'll reserve judgment until we actually see it happen, and we fully expect the addition of actual competition and tens of thousands of fans to make things more exciting.

Click / Gallery: autoblog.com/2010/07/31/x-games-practice-day-provides-new-challenges/

"All We'll Drive"

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    This event for the last 2 years has been a big letdown. The course's this year were horrible. It seems as though the organizers and sponsors are just aiming to make the big bucks and not actually investing time into making the event organized and interesting on a true racing level. They also need to put announcers that know what they are talking about behind the helm. I am ashamed of what rallying is turning into here in America, more particularly with this one event. They are trying to turn it into a friggin' video game.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun watching 500+hp cars fly around a track...but this whole thing has turned into an over-glorified, over-glamorized, unorganized pile of eye-candy crap aimed to the demographic of young teens and flat-rimmed #43 hat wearing toolbags.(I used to have respect for him until he clearly sold out for the money under the guise of wanting to have a car to field in WRC.) When will WE get something on the level of WRC here in the states? Something that tests the true metal of what it takes to be a GOOD rally driver. The one turd we have representing us in WRC can't even start to compare to the other drivers level of technicality; always placing in the mid to high 20's in position...or crashing out. Don't even get me started on the current monopoly of two manufactures fielding cars. You got Citroen or you have Ford or the guy privately funding a car that he can't afford to keep in the race because he doesn't have a company sponsorship backing him. What has happened to the good ol' days were this sport & form of racing was top notch and inspired people who watched it?

Nope...we have Rally America. Which in itself is great, but not to the level of what it could and should be, or again what it WAS a couple years ago.

I've clearly gone of into rant land here...I apologize. But for someone who truly loves rally as the ultimate form of racing, this whole situation and what it's turning into these days as compared to what it used to represent and encompass; is a complete and utter catastrophe.

(PS- epic fail on Subaru's part this year with the new car. You could see in Travis Pastranas eyes and body language when he crashed out, that he was thoroughly disappointed in the performance and handling of the new car.)
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    damn was it that bad ? go read the wrc finland thread to get your rally love back in shape
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AllShallPerishJ View Post
    When will WE get something on the level of WRC here in the states?
    There is no interest in a US WRC event by organizers, competitors, or fans. At least there is no evidence of any interest. Rumour has it that during the last WRC event held in the US -- in 1986 -- the world champion took fire from a local land owner.

During the finish ceremony for the last WRC event, what federal officials attended as a representatives of the US government? OK, not the president or VP. An undersecretary maybe? Who? Why not? I am not aware of any.

If a federal official were to attend, would it be the same one that'd have to waive EPA requirements so that cars that are ostensibly street legal anywhere except the US can get from one special stage to another? Who would drive the cars on public US roads, when the US local officials routinely violate or ignore the UN Convention on International Road Traffic (09/1949; it issues international driving permits; however, many locals don't understand that a permit in non-US English equals a license in US English, meaning people driving with papers generated by a treaty the US signed can even be arrested for... driving without a license). How would the fans get from one stage to another with the same valid but ignored permits?

Would the US WRC event organizers get a stadium like the LA Coliseum gutted and fitted for hosting a super special opener stage?

At the height of the more modern rally era in the US, when it was becoming more popular as the Japanese were selling cars that looked a bit like homologation specials at reduced interest rates during the early/mid 2000s, people were ticketed and even towed at Rim of the World. Why? Because the organizers apparently didn't have the sense to invest in local politicians and the local police force. How expensive would it have really been? If the organizers can't invest in politicians and local support, what's the point of having a WRC event in that country?

At one point, the second most globally famous US rally competitor, a man whom I'd watched compete on another continent in the best event of the WRC calendar in a Group B car at one point, said something along the lines "The WRC needs the US more than the US needs the WRC."

For better or worse he was probably right.

You got Citroen or you have Ford or the guy privately funding a car that he can't afford to keep in the race because he doesn't have a company sponsorship backing him. What has happened to the good ol' days were this sport & form of racing was top notch and inspired people who watched it?
    The FIA and everyone involved have convinced everyone else that F1 is the most popular motorsport in the world, not allowing reality or math to get in their way. This is because it's much easier to make money with F1 than the WRC (an organizer can't charge me to watch a special stage that passes in front of my house). So whatever FIA can do to minimize the WRC in favour of F1, it will do and has done so for decades (remember Group S?).

Nope...we have Rally America. Which in itself is great, but not to the level of what it could and should be, or again what it WAS a couple years ago.
    The competitors and organizers are to blame for this IMO. The series is so localized it's irrelevant. The cars are not homologated and nobody wants them homologated.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    I agree with all of your points, it's still rather disappointing when you look at it. I guess the companies have figured that they can make their money here in the states if they just throw pizazz, lazer shows, monster energy and brand symbols at us in hopes to sell their products. At the expense of down to the core good racing. Look at the majority of who's "popular" as far as drivers here in the states...they are all "extreme sports" crossovers who decided to get behind the wheel of a rally car to enhance their "edgy" image. There is only one of them that can actually drive IMO. (And I'm not speaking of New Kid on the Block.) The rest are just fakes, hiding behind their sponsorships; all of whom could be out driven by various drivers across the globe in their sleep.

Maybe all things rally & rallyx have reached their peak here in the states...and it's on it's downhill decent into a mainstream product selling cake eating contest.

WRC should remain a global thing as it is, but we here in America just can't get on board and do things right. I feel as though I'm just pissing in the wind...no-one else cares right?

They can all keep their monster energy, gymkhana videos, visual orgasm's, x games, and lame attempts at profiteering and gently administrate them all in their rectums. Give me good rally & rallyx. Shame on all the big wigs who package it all in pretty wrapping paper for us, hiding the steaming pile of crap inside. And shame on Subaru for jumping on that bandwagon.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    X Games 16 Rally offers up plenty of high, lows, and double gold

Race day for the X Games rally car action started out much like the practice sessions had begun the day before - with plenty of frustration. The drivers finally figured out how to deal with the steep drop-off in the dirt portion of the track that led back into the L.A. Coliseum, but a new challenge presented itself. The course layout for the rally racing portion of the event was designed with some very tight turns. So tight, in fact, that after a few practice laps only a handful of drivers could actually make it around the course without having to execute a three-point turn.

Much of the morning saw drivers working with course officials to create a course that the cars could actually drive on. After a few different configurations were tried, one was found, but at that point there wasn't any time left for practice. Essentially, the drivers would be competing on a course that they had never driven on. Would that result in excitement, chaos or both?

Read More/Pics Click: autoblog.com/2010/08/01/x-games-16-rally-offers-up-plenty-of-high-lows-and-double-gold/

"All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Whether it be true rally or not, I can honestly say I spent a lot of Sunday going through the DVR recording and was pretty amused. I would love to do stuff like that as a living. Me and my dad really enjoyed just spending the first half the day abusing the new Keurig coffee thing we got (those single cup coffee machines) and watching all the rally failboats. I really wish I could hear those cars in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Me and my dad really enjoyed just spending the first half the day abusing the new Keurig coffee thing we got (those single cup coffee machines)
    those r great had one for a couple of yrs now myself
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    those r great had one for a couple of yrs now myself
    Yeah they are nice. We have a commercial one in my office here. I found if you get the "extra bold" types with a bit extra in them, you can get about 15oz out of them pretty nicely - good for travel mugs.

I have a bad tendancy of killing coffee pots. I blame State College water and the high coffee demand from engineering school. Even with cleaning I have gone through one a year average. Hopefully this one holds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast