Driving classes

This is a discussion on Driving classes within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was wondering if anybody has taken any driving classes and their experiences with them. I'd kind of like ...

I Support ClubWRX

Driving classes

So I was wondering if anybody has taken any driving classes and their experiences with them.

I'd kind of like to take a good one a few months after graduating as a graduation present sort of thing with a friend. Rally / Track / even defensive driving... Just something involving a nice awd car and some form of instruction to learn some stuff first hand, instead of figuring it all out on my own.

I am imagining they are pretty pricey, and not sure if I have to sign up way in advance for most of them. Just looking for some general thoughts on the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at the HPDE. It's sort of a learning to road race (track) type of thing.

18+ or 16+ with parental permission
    http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/

(Btw.. I haven't done it. But a local tuner recommended it when I told them I wanted to start racing this year... which hasn't happened yet.)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ailixhomes View Post
    Driving is an art because of its important. It is very useful things that every one go to driving classes to improvise our skills of driving. Go for recognized institute of Driving.
    lolwut?

I went to an SCCA AutoX introduction class at the local racetrack. It was just $60 for the whole day, and I had a one-on-one instructor for most of it, the rest was on my own. They supplied all safety equipment. They purposely match instructors who are familiar with your car. My instructor raced his bugeye semi-professionally, so he gave me invaluable insight into how our cars handle, brake, and when to shift. I let him drive my car just to see what he could do, and holy **** he found horsepower and grip I had no idea a stock bugeye had. It was an awesome experience, I would highly, highly recommend it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I've taken a lot of different levels of driving schools (lucky I guess, work payed ), and by far the best I've ever attended was at Team Oneil's Team O'Neil Rally School & Car Control Center It's a little pricey, but well worth it if you can get a group of people to split the cost.

Took the 5 day rally driving course, and if you ever had any idea why AWD vehicles (especially Subarus) are the most fun to drive, this will answer all your questions. They teach you the differences in driving FWD/RWD/AWD and show you just how far you can push a car....big warning though, if you think you drive your car hard now, wait till you're done with the course and more comfortable pushing the limits...

I'd find the website for a local track and see what events they offer. You can learn a lot about your car and driving with even one track session. Autox is another great way to learn about your car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Woah old thread from the dead :-P

Did a track day where I get an instructor with me at Pittsburgh international race complex. Was a blast. Highly recommended to anybody.

... Just have cash to replace the brake pads, and entire tank of gas, large chunk of new tires, and any other surprises :-P. Still way worth it.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I find that AutoX is a bit less brutal on the tires, but even then you're looking at a set a season, maybe shorter, depending on your class. I would like to try out a real track day though.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by D's WRX View Post
    I've taken a lot of different levels of driving schools (lucky I guess, work payed ), and by far the best I've ever attended was at Team Oneil's Team O'Neil Rally School & Car Control Center It's a little pricey, but well worth it if you can get a group of people to split the cost.

Took the 5 day rally driving course, and if you ever had any idea why AWD vehicles (especially Subarus) are the most fun to drive, this will answer all your questions. They teach you the differences in driving FWD/RWD/AWD and show you just how far you can push a car....big warning though, if you think you drive your car hard now, wait till you're done with the course and more comfortable pushing the limits...
    Work paid!?!? What do you do!?

(Your 1st post = WELCOME!)
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    ... Just have cash to replace the brake pads, and entire tank of gas, large chunk of new tires, and any other surprises :-P. Still way worth it.
    Yeah lots of people post about how they want to track their cars but have no idea how expensive it is! It's easily $1000 for a day. $200-300 for the track fee, $100-150 for a couple of tanks of gas, $500+ in tire wear (you can go through half of the wear in a day), $100+ in brake wear (lots of wear again), plus other miscellaneous things that you're wearing much faster like needing a brake fluid flush ($50+), oil change ($35+), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I find that AutoX is a bit less brutal on the tires, but even then you're looking at a set a season, maybe shorter, depending on your class. I would like to try out a real track day though.
    There's absolutely no comparison between the wear of an auto-x day and a track day. Auto-x barely wears things out more than a day of driving on normal roads, while one track day can burn through a lot of the wearable components on your car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yeah lots of people post about how they want to track their cars but have no idea how expensive it is! It's easily $1000 for a day. $200-300 for the track fee, $100-150 for a couple of tanks of gas, $500+ in tire wear (you can go through half of the wear in a day), $100+ in brake wear (lots of wear again), plus other miscellaneous things that you're wearing much faster like needing a brake fluid flush ($50+), oil change ($35+), etc.

There's absolutely no comparison between the wear of an auto-x day and a track day. Auto-x barely wears things out more than a day of driving on normal roads, while one track day can burn through a lot of the wearable components on your car.
    Whew! Thanx for clearing that up - I started reading your post and I was like WTF for 6 runs at 45 seconds each? No way!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    You missed my point. I wasn't trying to compare the two, and fully agree with you on the costs of a true track day, both in term of cash cost and part wear. My point was for those who want the thrill of racing at a much lower price point in terms of entry fees and increased part wear, might want to look at AutoX. Yes, it's much slower than a track course, and a very different experience (better or worse is up to individual preferences), but the racing is real, and it still gets my adrenaline pumping. I've had a blast doing it. I'll get to a real track day soon enough.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Do it at least once. It's worth it.

I'd agree with most of that. I did 4x20 minute sessions and had to leave the last one just after half way through for gas.

My approximations based off of my first time (I went into the brakes in more detail to find how quickly I'd pay a BBK off):
    -$200 fee / event. This includes 4x20 minute sessions and a personal instructor the full time. Not a bad deal in my opinion. Instructor was awesome.
    -15gal of gas (~$75 give or take I guess)
    -20% or 30% of tires (~$300 give or take 50) - this could be more or less. I need to check tread depth. I was sliding sideways a good bit and the tires were fuzzy when I left.
    -Brake fluid flushes as needed (~$20/event for good fluid DIY)
    -Front pads for DS2500 are $253/set. I think I toasted the whole set last time. I would say 3 events per set normally as of now. $85/event.
    -Rear pads for DS2500 are $209/set. I'd guess you could get upwards of 5 events out of a set of these. $42/event.
    -Front rotors for decent blanks are $250/set. From what I've read, 8 events is about average. $31/event.
    -Rear rotors last a while. No approximation on those.
    -Caliper rebuilds are tough. Seems that most people have to replace seals around 10 events. $7.50/event

Worth noting... with a KNS BBK - the same front brake pads go down to $131/event, are 5mm thicker, and have more surface area. Estimated about twice the wear length and half the price . Also the front rotors will cost $500/set, but last 3 times as long from most people I've read.

Regardless - after you do one or two, its worth looking into putting some money in upfront to avoid being nickle and dimed as you go. I'll create a thread about the costs and ways to save on it down the road after I get some better numbers.
    2011 STi Build Log

In 2010 I had a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Lost a bet with my hubby and We found a driving school I could afford. The Local SCCA club had Evolution Performance Driving School come and do Phase I and Phase II courses. I took the Phase I and got hooked on Solo. I've been waiting for EVO Driving courses close by to go again!

BeardieBrat
    Now with a 2012 WRX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The PDC I took was the best "mod" I ever installed
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/